Sign in to follow this  
weelewy

sign langauge

hiya, i was just wondering if anyone has tried or uses makaton signing to help with communication, lewis was copying Justin from something special today and sayin it as he was doing the signs. do you's know if there are any books or courses on this????????

Makaton is a wonderful form of communication and we use it alot at our special school... If you check out your local college i am sure they will be able to tell you if they have makaton course available...

Hiya,

I use Makaton at work - it's a fantastic way to communicate. Here's the websie...

http://www.makaton.org/

I do also use some signs at home, my son tends to be very visual, and although, his language is good - i tend to sign some things as i say them - this seems to help him understand.

I trained through work - but i'm sure there must be something on the website about training - failing that, could ask your heath visitor/portage worker?

Word of warning though........ The sign for toilet is the middle finger, right hand, rubbed on the opposite side of your body (just below shoulder....) My son often forgets this - and in the middle of Tescos i have a son shouting 'mummy look!' and waving his middle finger at me...... :rolleyes::lol:

Hope this helps xx

I use the toilet sign too for Keegan when he does not want anybody to know that he needs the toilet urgently, he thought i was being rude to him :lol: too when i first showed him the sign...

:lol::lol: The idea behind using it, was to stop the horribly embarrassing moment when my little monkey shouts 'mummy i need a poooooooo!' - not sure which is worse now! :rolleyes::lol:

We use Makaton with Logan who is completely non-verbal. He does recognise a fair few signs although doesn't sign back. I did the beginners training course - well worth doing. We're about to introduce PECS with him also.

Lynne x

I watch the Something Special series as well to get help with Makaton and Tom's nursery nurse who started coming to our house last week has given me some more signs. He recognises a couple of signs (thank you and goodnight) but manipulates my hands to do the actions rather than doing them himself. We are using pictures to back them up as his understanding of words appears to be very poor. Once he's learnt the basics of mummy, daddy, eat, drink, sleep and maybe a couple of others I will look into getting the parent packs to learn it properly. We are keeping an open mind at this stage whether to go for PECS or Makaton.