mrs phasmid

do paint manufacturers live in a different world?

I have just spent the last half hour painting one wall in our bathroom. why is it that when you buy a paint lovingly pictured and described in the chart as "sunshine" >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> that when you put it on your wall it comes out looking like a cross between a violent baby nappy(you all know the ones i mean) and the yolk of an egg. :sick::sick: NOT GOOD. am waiting for phas to come back in bet he'll say repaint, along with a few expletives. :angry::angry:

Mrs Phas, what is the name of the colour of the paint? I miss those violent baby nappies after changing so many normal coloured ones from my 5 year old. :lol::sick:

Mrs Phas, what is the name of the colour of the paint? I miss those violent baby nappies after changing so many normal coloured ones from my 5 year old. :lol::sick:

:blink::huh::blink:

the paint is w**lw*rths "sunshine" . i have just spent another half hour painting a different wall w**lw*rths "aquamarine", this has turned out to be the colour that every council house bathroom and kitchen was painted in the 70's, you know that bluey greeny colour. question now is do i go yolky/nappy yellow or 70's council house OR do i go for a third colour but what should that colour be................ any suggestions anyone?

:pray::pray::pray:

Mrs Phas

Can totaly agree with you I bought one called soft stone and believe you and me it's not stone colour it's pink so I now have a pink stair case wih abrown carpet nice!!!! :sick:

Lisa x

I'll save time and just quote Mrs TheNeil directly:

Never buy anything except branded paint and, better still, buy it from a industrial outlet rather than the high street or DIY shop

How does she know? She's a painter and decorator (or, as she prefers to be known, 'Harrogate's premier painter and decorator') and apparently the stuff that the pro's use is of a thicker consistency etc. Whether this is true or not I don't know - my job is just to nod, pay, and do her bidding :D

Edited by TheNeil

Theneil is right we use this paint all the time now. My mum had a paint mixed once after seeing an advert im shore you all remember it of the telly. Well it turned out so bright you needed sun glasses. Nothing like the blue she showed them :lol:

We always go the the Johnson's (paint manufacturer and supplier to the Trade) down the road - much safer.

I'd suggest that to mitigate the colours, you could paint the woodwork in a rich mid-dark green and do a quick ragging over the yellow wall with white emulsion.

But then I'm odd.

Or get a pair of 'bathroom glasses' from Ian Jordan :thumbs: .

Good luck.

You could keep the bluey-greeny wall as a 'feature' wall, with all the rest in a bright white to lift it.

Then if you had toning towels in shades of bluey-greens and a new tooth-brush mug and soap dish, etc, in a cobalt blue...you'd be all done!

Ooooh, and the floor would look good in soft shades of stone, which will just warm things up a little...

Boho :dance:

Should just add, that visually it works better if your feature wall is the shorter wall in an oblong room, rather than the long wall, as it will pull the room in to make it look squarer. If it's a square room, it doesn't really matter which wall...

(I've got to ask...were you intending to have both the yellow and bluey-green together, or were the two colours alternatives you were trying out?? :unsure: )

Don't know about Mrs Phas but I bought branded paint and it sure don't look like the picture on the tin.Our 's has to stay though cause it took me two days and the kids kept getting in the way.

Lisa x

(I've got to ask...were you intending to have both the yellow and bluey-green together, or were the two colours alternatives you were trying out?? )

i was planning to have a nice cheery sunshine bathroom phas jr likes yellow it makes him feel warm, but oh my god! so i thought as i had some paint for the downstairs loo i'd try that instead :oops: now i have one yellow that makes me frightened of going into the bathroom and one blu/green that just makes me want to cry as im sooooooo old that i remember my grannys being that colour every time it was painted.

by the way have found that prev owners have used eggshell nicked from his works to paint everywhere! how do i know this? from the amount of "slippage" that has occurred on those bl***y walls :crying::crying:

I have just spent the last half hour painting one wall in our bathroom. why is it that when you buy a paint lovingly pictured and described in the chart as "sunshine" >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> that when you put it on your wall it comes out looking like a cross between a violent baby nappy(you all know the ones i mean) and the yolk of an egg. :sick::sick: NOT GOOD. am waiting for phas to come back in bet he'll say repaint, along with a few expletives. :angry::angry:

Mrs P, I so agree with you! A few years ago I painted our dining room 'saffron'..... it looked a really lovely colour on the tin, by the time I was finished I felt like I was sitting in the pit of hell!!!! I couldn't live with it so ran out and bought a colour called 'warm cream'.... which was actually a really sickly custard yellow2 :sick: !!!!

I ALWAYS buy match pots now

You can change the colour by changing the lighting or the shades of the light.

(same effect as when clothes look a different colour in the shop - called metamerism)

It can make a BIG difference.

Oh, we're decorating this Summer. I bloomin hate that job.

- my job is just to nod, pay, and do her bidding :D

You sound like the perfect hubby to me :lol:

My Mike, :wub: South Londons most gifted painter and decorator, has definate preferences when it come s to Branded paint....he loves paint :huh: and can bore the beejeebers out of me but I do know that MCpher***s paint is cheapish, reliable and has good colour representations!

If you have some other colours lying about you couls do a bit of mixing!

Good luck

redberry

Oh, we're decorating this Summer. I bloomin hate that job.

You sound like the perfect hubby to me :lol:

No, just well trained :D

Never, ever buy paint according to the tin lid. It never bears any resemblance to the colour on your walls. I always drive my family crazy with those little tester pots blobbed all over the room. Im still not 100% happy with it when its finished though.

Hubbies a painter and decorator and thinks Woolies and Wilkinsons paints are better than a lot of the branded paints.

Lorainexx

Navy blue towels, curtains etc will help tone it down.........or buy the family a nice selection of sunglasses.

Lorainexx

You could try mixing it with white emulsion in a large bucket or stacker box to tone down the colour. Keep adding more white until you get the colour you like. I had to do this recently when I bought loads of what I thought was a nice warm creamy colour, but which turned out to be more like custard. It looks really nice now.

Lisa