Sign in to follow this  
lisann

how do i get into nursery nursing

Hi all

Need your help i have decided after much thinking that I want to go into Nursery Nursing.I wanted to do Midwifery for the past 8 years but have decided that it won't fit in with our life at the mo untill Char is a lot older.He doesn't like strangers so I couldn't get a child minder to pick him and his sister up and we can't realy afford for me to train yet any way.So I was racking my brains and decided I would like to be a Nursery Nurse because it will fit in with kids at school and it will probably help me in long run when I do do my Midwifery course.I have a problem tho' I don't know where to start I haven't been to college since 1996 and haven't worked since 1998 :wacko: . I need the course to be as cheap as I poss can get it and it has to fit in with the kids.

Anyone any ideas please???? :huh:

Lisa

Hiya.

I did the NNEB back some years ago at college and am now a qualified Nursery Nurse.

It was a 2yr course but that has now been changed to a 3yr course (thankfully b/c it was VERY hard work with a lot of coursework to cram in too). Contact your local college, they are the best to advise you.

I know there is another course out now that is a lesser qualification than the NNEB but it still enables you to work in certain children's settings such a daycare etc. Can't remember what it's called though but it's a 3 letter name that starts with 'P'. I dunno, something like PPA or PTA or something.

Also worth looking into too. The NNEB is a fulltime course but the other one, I might be wrong, but I believe that's part time.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Tylers-mum

Guest flutter

dpp? maybe tm?

i would concider finding yourself a playgroup and offering to help at some sessions

then you can do a nvq in child care, they are chainging lots but u learn on the job and in some areas are subsidised.

i have done dpp that way,a nd am now doing a nvq that way also.

it is term time , and once you are qualified you can go on to diferent things

good luck

pm me if u wants info

C x

Hi

Last year I did a CACHE Early years care and education course which was distant learning at my local college (only had to go to college once a term). I did my placement at a local nursery. It fitted into my life perfectly. I've got my qualification now and the nursery where I ddi my placement took me on term time only and I am now the SENCO there which was exactly what I wanted. I' would contact your local college or you could even contact CACHE to see where they are offering their courses.

Good luck and if you want any help pm me

Lyns

xxxx

Hi Flutter , Lyns have you got any web sites I could visit please ??

Lisa x

P.S T's mum thanks for info too x

Lisa

Check out http://www.childcarecareers.gov.uk/

and for local info:

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/graphics/Learn...n+childcare.htm

for more advice.

On the Rotherham council website it has following message of who to contact to discuss further.

For more information about training please ring Paula Williams or Pam Hawkins on 01709 822691

I know you get a lot of help if you are setting up to be a childminder and maybe this is the case if you want to train to be a nursery nurse.

Good luck!

Debbie

I did my nneb course in 1984 when i was 32, i had two kids then one aged 14 and one 13, it was murder but i did it. that was in the good old days when u had to work in hospital and do night shifts too, we also had to nanny for a week, work in a nursery for three weeks, a special school for 2 weeks, and a primary school too.

all this and full time college for 2 years.

it darn near killed me but i loved it, i got a grant from the council because i was a single parent.

good luck with it >:D<<'>

Got an enrolment form today just need to sort placement out hope to go to kids school.Going to do the NVQ level 2 but might be able to do the NVQ level 3.Got help from the goverment with funding so it's only costing ?150 yippee!!!!

Should start Sep this year

Lisa x