Sign in to follow this  
Paula

I said never againe and ment it

Last year my son took part in a swimming competion.One which i thought would only have special needs children in it until i got there.

Id to watch my son and others from his special school compete against mainstrem kids in swimming events.

They swam there hearts out but every single one of those kids came last by a mile.It broke my heart.

Especially when only the winners !!!!!!!!!! Received a medal and certificate. :crying::crying:

I could cope with my son comeing last because i was so so proud of him but i thought it was rotton not to acknowledge the special needs kids with something.

I said never againe would he take part.

Hes been picked againe this year and im refuseing to let him go.Am i wrontgam i right i dont know.

It was just so so upsetting last year for me and him.And i hated absolutlely hated the competitiveness of the other parents.All punching the air and woopy doing.

I hate stuff like that.

Edited by Paula

Poor kids. That seems so unfair. I wouldent let my boys take part i dont see the point. I know i would have been upset if it was me

completely know where your coming from.........it,s got to be an even playing field and this clearly was,nt.I,m really surprised it was organised this way, did the organisers not think to acknowledge the special kids??..........why don,t you try to contact them and let them know your misgivings.

I agree with Suze about contacting them. They obviously have no sense or any braincells for that matter! Grrr!!!

I'd absolutely NOT let my son take part after last years farce. I'm with you on this one Paula.

Paula,

I think its a wonderful idea to contact the organisers with your misgivings. You could put some suggestions to them and improve it for everyone involved.

I think you are right Paula, i would not let my child go its just not fair!!! If it was against another special needs school then no problem..... Talk to the organisers see what they say

I would talk to the organisers and make suggestions that all the children recieve something. It is really unfair for them all to be mixed and for only the winners to recieve awards because in my eyes those that have to try so much harder are winners in themselfs.

My child on the other hand is very competitive to the point where it drives me mad especially if he loses.

Basde on howmuch it upset you last time I think you should defiantly speak tothe organisers and if they wont take on board your suggestions then I wouldn't bother, maybe you could get someother parents to back you up.

I too would contact them, how are ignorant people to learn if they are never made aware of their mistakes?

As for the question on whether your being fair or not I think if your son didn't enjoy last year then it would be pointless putting him through it all again. It would have been different if he was enjoying it all.

Joanne xxx

Hi

Is it possible that you could make your thoughts known to the organisers? Your not asking for special favours, but setting the competition up which just enhances the difficulties of the special needs kids isn't on. The aim of the competition shouldn't have been to create divisions, but merely to display inclusiveness, acceptance, etc. I guess it kind of depends on whether you let your child participate on whether the special needs kids were just happy to take part or whether it made them feel bad.

C.

I agree with the others about contacting the organisers. i definately would not let my son take part again if its gonna be like the last one though.

>:D<<'>

Hi paula I would really like to be a fly on the wall if you do contact the organisers and tell them what you think :D;)

I actually let the people know exactly what i thought about it last year at the end of the competition and told the teachers at my sons school.They also thought it was rotton.And yet here they are taking part againe.

ive sent them a letter explaining why hes nbot taking part and my fealings on it.

In answer to someones question as wether my son enjoyed it.

Im not actually sure.It was so so nosiey with starter guns going of and people yelling the sort of enviroment he hates.Afterwards he asked where his certificate was ect like the other kids got and a medel.What could i say.I said he was a champion but of course he still insited on wanting to know why he couldnt have a medel.

I didnt want to explaine he had come last ect i just said he was a superstar but he smelt a rat type of thing.

Im standing firm on this.if the teacher contacts me and can assure me that things have changed then maybe he can take part but only if its changed.

Paula - what does he want to do? He will be the one competing ... does he want to do it? Are you not allowing him to do it because of your own feelings or his?

I can understand what you are saying, I have had a similar experience myself.

Try turning it around positively if you can - he took part, he finished ... yeah he didn't win but he achieved something from it.

I would still voice your concerns about the way the race is handled and see if they can do something about it, if not, and your son is not happy, then don't sign him up to compete.

If however he does do it, fight your tears and be there hooping and hollering for your child too.