Sign in to follow this  
pim

ds and a wetting problem

HI,

I was just thinking about writing a post about ds wetting problem when I read Klou's post, but thought I should start a new one and not hi-jack her post.

I was wondering about taking ds (5 in July) to the doctor for wetting. He stopped doing this since almost a year ago but now it's started up again. He doesn't seem to care that he is slowly getting wetter and wetter and refuses to go to the toilet when it is obvious he needs to go. This has co-incided with him going to school full-time but he is not stressed, far from it, he's happier. I wonder can the doctor do anything about it. I've tried turning it into a game, which used to work. He's not interested in star charts. Ignoring it doesn't work becuase he just lets himself get almost soaked through. Then he does go and afterwards doesn't mind wondering around in wet clothes.

IS this an ASD thing when they don't notice they are getting wet? It infuruates me and I wonder how tolerant school will be if they have to start changing his clothes. It's been 3 times in the last couple of weeks. This is only when he is there unsupported in the afternoons. HIs teacher is going to speak to the HT about this so I don't know what that means. I hope it doesn't mean, either having him in pull-ups, decreasing his hours, or I go in to change his wet clothes or what I would like more hours of 1 to 1 which seems highly unlikely. The school have always refused to put money in from their own budget. He has 15 hours on his statement.

pim

my 8 year old doesnt wet the bed but wets his trousers throughout the day, not fully emptying his bladder just enough to make a wet patch umpteen times a day. he doesnt have aspergers like his brother but there is something most definatley not right with his understanding of language, i spend all night following him around while he sleep walks and he has a couple of wees a night. his weeing has been investigated and the doctor at the hospital says it is normal for children to wet the bed up to the age of 9, so he must have night time nappies. you should see doctor with him though to make sure its not a physical problem.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will go and see the doctor. I was just hoping it would stop in time and was frustrated that it's come back. The good thing is the teacher is trying to do something about it. He listens to her so hopefully it will improve.

I just wondered what the doctors could do about it. I don't think it is sensory. He wriggles so much it's obvious he needs to go. What I'm surprised is how he doesn't mind getting wetter and wetter.

pim

Pim

My son who is now 12 and aspergers was like youre son when he was younger.

He would wet every single paire of underpants and clothes he had throughout the day and would appear not to notice he was wet through.Hed literally sit in one spot and wet himself and if the mood took hed poo himself too againe he wouldnt tell me and appeared not to be bothered.

Hed also wet and poo the bed and againe id only know because id smell him or because id got into the habit of checking his bed for wetness everynight.

I approached my Gp and was told that id not to reduce his drink intake as in her opinion this wouldnt make a difference and could have the opposite effect and theyd wee even more.

She said he could have problems putting 2 and 2 together and reconiseing the full bladder fealing and noticeing he was wet or wetting himself and connecting them.

They told me id to increase his fluides so that he learnt about these sensations.If that makes sence.That id to point out the wetness was connected to a full bladder ect.It sounds daft and a bit mumbo jumbo its hard to explaine but it did work.

He was dry by the time he was 8 years old.Apart from the occasional accident which normally took place if he was ill,or very very tired or stressed.

My son used to wriggle around too thats how id know he was wet or needed the toilet but if i asked hed refuse.

Edited by Paula

Is there something about the toilets at school that he doesn't like?Do they perhaps have hand dryers?xx

my son wade will still wet sometimes during the day and so we remind him alot to go potty. He does not do it at school but He will here at home if He is wrapped up in something and really concentrating and not paying attention. He also did wet at night but his pediatrician has prescribed desmopressin for him at night, he takes one before bed and it's gone from an every night of wetting thing down to now only once in a blue moon. the desmopressin has really helped at night. have you tried rewards? perhaps each day he goes without wetting he gets a special treat or an extra half hour of tv time or something? reminding seems to help wade but not always so we use rewards to praise him for not wetting.

i still have problems like that and im 18 so dont worry about it to much i just wear pads you should just give ur ds some pads to wear and tell her to try and go to the toilet every half hoer like i do