Bagpuss

Pet hamster is no more

Hi,

Daughter's hamster has died tonight. :( RIP Hamish. As soon as she started crying she set me off :crying: She kept asking "can we bury him, can we bury him" and to calm her down, we decided, in a moment of madness, to do it. there and then. A symbolic gesture. Didn't take into account it was dark, it had been raining all day, and it was late.....ho hum...

Anyway, there we are, stood in the sopping wet back garden. No lights, as the security light packed up last week. So daughter gets her torch.....it a dog one from Asda, which barks continuously when its lit :blink: Hubby finds a spot which isn't a foot under water, and starts digging with a trowel...which snaps :( Someone walks past, looking at us just a little bit too long as we are all stood in back garden, in PJ's, digging a hole in the ground with a plastic spade we found in our youngest sand pit, with a barking torch. at night. End up gouging the earth out with spade and hands.in desperation...........I couldn't resist saying "thankgod its a hamster we're burying and not a dog" :D

Everytime to tried to fit him into the ground it wouldn't fit......we'd lovingly placed him in a tupperware container with cotton wool. So we just kept on digging and digging and it began to resemble a scene from Pet Cemetary :o

Eventually half an hour later, he was laid to rest, giraffe rocking toy on top incase of cats trying to dig him back up. We are off out on Sat to buy another and an appropriate stone for his resting place.....

Next time I'm going just going to take them down the vets to dispose of them like all the others....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for our daughter, the tears soon stopped, and she laughed hysterically all the way thru it :wacko: . She went to bed talking excitedly about her NEXT hamster.....kids.... :rolleyes:

Mind, when I was her age my hamster died and I wouldn't accept it :tearful: Told my mum it was hibernating , even though it was stone cold and stiff as a board. Made her put it on a radiator to warm it up :unsure: Dread to think how long I made her keep it there :sick:

E'is no a Rat, Mr Fawlty - Bazeeel ees a HHHamstair!

Seriously, what you should have done was boil him up in a saucepan full of sugar-water, and spoon it onto your flower beds.... A mate of mine did that and got a lovely bloom of daffodils. Which is unusual - You usually get tulips from hamster jam......

(Joke courtesy of Chester Draws, c.1937.... " 'ere, is that a mastauche on your lip or......")

Seriously, RIP Hamish, and long live the Hamish (ii) :D>:D<<'>

Aaaaaaaah :(

When my hamster died (Peregrin Tufty the third :wub: , lived till he was 5!!!!) I buried him in a tupperware too. I've often been haunted by what he would look like after years of decomposing in a tupperware!

People think hamsters are just fluffy things in cages, but ours was really tame. We didn't even have to lock the cage. He used to have free run of the house and even nicked fruit out of the fruit bowl. My stepdad who didn't like him at first even became quite fond and often used to say 'that firkin rat's almost human' :o:lol:

Are you getting another one? I would love to get a hamster or a rat but I've got two cats and one of them's a psychopath.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Sorry to hear about your hammy. But I had to laugh, you painted such a wonderful picture, I could almost see you. :lol:

Do cats round your way really know how to open tupperware boxes? :hypno:

Just a thought, when anyone digs up your garden you do realise there will still be a dead hamster in a Tupperware box cos it aint gonna rot away in our life time? :sick:

Viper,

That thought crossed my mind too after we went to bed :o Would Hamish be like the Bog Man??? Dug up perfectly preserved in thousands of years???? :o You just don't think at the time do you......anyway, never again :rolleyes:

Lauren,

Yes, she is getting another one on Sat. Our son has a hamster too. We love them, they are so easy to look after and have all had really different personalities :D All other pets have been a disaster....and the list is long...dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish, birds........ :(

Baddad,

Your post made me laugh and reminded me of my 11th birthday. Got a longed for bunny........the next day I ran downstairs so excited I could hardly speak..and it was dead :tearful: My brother-in-law came round later, while I was sobbing and said "oh don't worry, it won't of died for nothing, something good will come of this.......are we having rabbit pie tomorrow?" :crying:

E'is no a Rat, Mr Fawlty - Bazeeel ees a HHHamstair!

Seriously, what you should have done was boil him up in a saucepan full of sugar-water, and spoon it onto your flower beds.... A mate of mine did that and got a lovely bloom of daffodils. Which is unusual - You usually get tulips from hamster jam......

(Joke courtesy of Chester Draws, c.1937.... " 'ere, is that a mastauche on your lip or......")

Seriously, RIP Hamish, and long live the Hamish (ii) :D>:D<<'>

Hamster jam!!!!!!! :lol::lol::o:lol::lol:

Hi,

Daughter's hamster has died tonight. :( RIP Hamish. As soon as she started crying she set me off :crying: She kept asking "can we bury him, can we bury him" and to calm her down, we decided, in a moment of madness, to do it. there and then. A symbolic gesture. Didn't take into account it was dark, it had been raining all day, and it was late.....ho hum...

Anyway, there we are, stood in the sopping wet back garden. No lights, as the security light packed up last week. So daughter gets her torch.....it a dog one from Asda, which barks continuously when its lit :blink: Hubby finds a spot which isn't a foot under water, and starts digging with a trowel...which snaps :( Someone walks past, looking at us just a little bit too long as we are all stood in back garden, in PJ's, digging a hole in the ground with a plastic spade we found in our youngest sand pit, with a barking torch. at night. End up gouging the earth out with spade and hands.in desperation...........I couldn't resist saying "thankgod its a hamster we're burying and not a dog" :D

Everytime to tried to fit him into the ground it wouldn't fit......we'd lovingly placed him in a tupperware container with cotton wool. So we just kept on digging and digging and it began to resemble a scene from Pet Cemetary :o

Eventually half an hour later, he was laid to rest, giraffe rocking toy on top incase of cats trying to dig him back up. We are off out on Sat to buy another and an appropriate stone for his resting place.....

Next time I'm going just going to take them down the vets to dispose of them like all the others....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for our daughter, the tears soon stopped, and she laughed hysterically all the way thru it :wacko: . She went to bed talking excitedly about her NEXT hamster.....kids.... :rolleyes:

Mind, when I was her age my hamster died and I wouldn't accept it :tearful: Told my mum it was hibernating , even though it was stone cold and stiff as a board. Made her put it on a radiator to warm it up :unsure: Dread to think how long I made her keep it there :sick:

Ahhh sorry to hear about your hamster,losing a pet is never easy............I did laugh my sox off at the way you described the after event though! :lol: You did right burying him in a tupperware container, I buried Pogelius Dingleberry Esq. (rabbit) in a cardboard box, and next door neighbour dog got through the fence and dug him up!!! :o Poor old Pogelius got thrown aroung the garden like a rag doll!!! Dog smelled bootiful!! :sick::sick:

Hi

Sorry to hear about the hamster. Must admit like the others I had a bit of a laugh when i was reading about the scene when your buried him.....................

I remember when I had a hamster - my dad was about to bury it as we thought it was dead. Turned out it was still alive - however went to hamster heaven a few days later.

I have not had hamsters for yonks- however they have still laid their mark in the house ie chewed up carpets! Also remember once when they chewed through the burglar alarm wires. We called the police as the alarm kept going off and they discovered the route of the cause! :lol::lol::lol: ( I hasten to add that i was ALOT younger at the time)

Forbsay

xx

Blimey this is going to sound horrible but Ive been longing for the day we have to do a burial for Philip, Sams hamster. :crying:

He is so violent, he attempts to bite us all even though we spent ages trying to tame him. We are a pet loving vegetarian household and we have had hamsters before.

Philip now spends his days in his nest being coerced into his plastic ball while I clean his cage. He has bitten Sophie (my daughter )really badly, sinking his teeth into her finger and having to be removed forcibly. and the rest of us have been bitten and nipped I think he has the taste for human blood!!!!

He makes me feel guilty and mad alternately...the rest of the family have convieniently blanked his existence and I long for the day we are free from this tyrant!

your burial story made me laugh!

redberry

its so sad when a pet dies. The lady next door lost her cat last summer and put it in the garden. The problem was the dog could smell it. More then once that dog dug it up. She moved it in the end but it was a horrid sight when we looked out and seen dog pulling cat out of hole. :(