Bagpuss

Feeling shattered

Hi,

Feeling soooo tired lately. Our youngest daughter (5 yr old ASD) keeps waking at 5.30. This has been going on for well over a year. She also insists that everyone else (or just me will do) gets up. She wanders in and out our bedroom, asking repetitive questions...the same ones each day , which only can be answered with yes or no. She seems to be calmed by the response, and gets upset or agitated if you alter it. Shes not crying or screaming, but just wants attention.Think its beginning to catch up with me, though and by this time I'm feeling really weary. Which is the worst time of the day to be feeling tired, because all the kids are due home from school, and its bedlam.She's also becoming a handful at bedtime. Continually coming up and downstairs for hours, up till 9pm, and she now avoids standing on the bottom stair as its "scary". Her school have offered to make up a morning chart for us, and think it may help. She has one for coming home from school...ie pictures with sticky smiley faces next to them and one for tea time. Might have to get another as suggested, but don't want our lives to become one long round of charts. I suppose I should be thankful she does sleep for most of the night :rolleyes:

oh you i have my sympathies, i dont sleep well and around 3 i usually get really tired i have to haul myself up and go to collect my daughter from school. then its all go when i get back. >:D<<'>

>:D<<'>

No advice for you - just wanted to say, same here - right down to the question asking (dp says i answer in my sleep now..... :blink: !!).

We've never found a way around it - he doesn't want to go back to bed - but doesn't want to be on his own... Occasionally, he will sneak downstairs and put the tele on - then i might be allowed to sleep 'till 7! :dance::D Melatonin has helped him settle at night. >:D<<'>

Hiya Baggy,

My daughter(6, ADHD) is an early morning riser as well, so I know the feeling...mostly she settles well at night, because she is so tired from getting up early....we have the same routine every evening.....shower...bed...story ...cuddle...the least thing...phone ringing...will disturb her...and I have to start over again....she's not allowed out of her bedroom...and each time she tries...she is taken straight back to bed...tonight is a bad night....she dozed off to sleep for ten minutes in the car coming home from school and now she's wide awake...and I've put her back to bed 3 times already.....taking son to his special needs youth club....she was up at the window calling out to us... had to put her back to bed before we left....she sleeps well when she is finally settled...but wakes up early morning....sometimes 3am...again she stays in her bedroom... she is allowed a low light and her headphones so she can listen to quiet music...if she wakes 5 onwards she must play quietly....she bangs on the wall or jumps on her bed and I have to remind her about the rules.....she wasn't always like this....she had a firm bedtime routine...and slept for 12 hours....over the last 2 years that the problems have started...and all I can really do is what I'm doing now....it's hard work but she has at least learnt to stay in her room....

had massive probs over the years with the twins sleep pattern an last year they suggested melatonin wasnt keen but my health was suffering as well so gave it a go an have never looked back nite times are great both sleeping by 9 but often up at 5 cant have it both ways but if they get up must be quiet an not waken other people think it has finally sank in with the 2 of them youngest sleeping better now he had lots of disturbed nites being in same room as the twins me an hubby sleeping lot better i know its not long term answer but at the moment it is karin

Thanks for your replies. :D

I think I just need to find a way to stop myself flagging between the hours of 3pm till 6pm. Before and after those times I'm ok. As I said though, at least once she does settle she sleeps all night, so thats something to feel grateful for. Think we will definately go with another chart idea....but may need a chart to remind me to do the charts :blink:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Bagpuss my heart is with you I know what it's like it is hell.My advise grab sleep as and when you can cause the lack of it will catch up with you if not grabbing sleep as and when is the only thing which keeps me going.

Love Lisa

i know how u feel,my DD goes to bed no problem,how long she lasts is another story tho!!she normally wakes between 1&2 and thinks its time to get up,normally take her downstairs as other 3 DD's need their sleep,usually up for about 3hrs but comes back to bed with me and still gets up at 6 no matter what so by 3 in afternoon i'm shattered aswell but she's still bouncing around as usual!!! :(

Guest hallyscomet

Bagpuss, Thinking of you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> hope things settle down soon. Have you talked to the doctor about it. My sons doctor was always full of helpful advice when things like this got out of hand.

>:D<<'>

H.

Thanks for your replies. To be honest, I've not thought of going to doctors. I suppose I view it that I'm lucky to get a full nights sleep, especially after reading some of the other parents experiences on here. Someone from our dd school suggested a black out blind, but this was going on thru winter, so don't think the light is the issue. She wakes early, no matter what time she falls asleep. She always has, but it just seems to be getting earlier and earlier and the bedtime hassles are going on for longer and longer. At one time she would enjoy playing in her room, so when she went to bed or woke in a morning, she would play for abit. She doesn't do that now, and wanders around. Two nights ago we found her asleep at the top of the stairs! That has never happened before,and don't know why...unless she'd been sitting at the top of stairs and fell asleep. DH and I have decided to take it in turns to have a lie in when his shifts allow, and just get up with her when she's wandering in and out, rather than us all be disturbed. Going to try a chart aswell. Not sure about the bedtime though, might ask at Early Bird Plus session, and see what they suggest. Thanks again everyone! Its great to be able to ask advice and others out there understand!

Several years ago I visited a residential school for autistic children.

I remember looking around the bedrooms and as we were having dreadful problems with bedtimes asked the Matron what happened at night. She laughed and said that she had yet to meet the child who she couldnt help to settle within a couple of weeks.

Her advice was pretty basic stuff. Bath, winding down, story etc. She then adviced putting out the light, saying goodnight and then positioning yourself near the bedroom door but out of sight. As soon as the child starts to emerge, usher them back to bed. Once in bed leave the room and sit outside the room again. The key is not to give up and keep going until you get results. I clearly remember sitting in the dark listening to a talking book on a headset.

It wasnt rocket science and it was a pain but my son eventually learned bed meant bed and we had our evenings back again.

Good luck

Lorainexx