Sign in to follow this  
pingu

obsessions

Hi all.... :D

My son comes home from school and goes upstairs to play on the xbox and dont come down until tea, when hes finished hes back on there again. I play on there with him but because im not good at it he takes the controls off me and tells me im doing it wrong, well I thought we was both playing..... :unsure::wacko: I went out today and bought some art materials to make things to go with the collection I already have for the kids to do at home. He bought a mask that is supposed to be a craft thing you add things to it with pva etc. Well he wanted to wear it around the town with lots of people around, should of seen some of their faces. They wasn't cruel just smiled, I told my hubby and he said he's too old to wear masks (he's 9). He kept looking in every mirror he could find to see what he looked like. Am I doing wrong with him as think perhaps he shouldn't be dressing up, wearing masks or should I just say keep all that behind closed doors?...Im confused as I see him happy doing all of it but he does need to mature a bit but perhaps im not helping him by buying things like it. He told me while we was out that a boy called him Gay Lord..... :oops::shame: He doesn't know what it means but knows its wrong.

Sorry to go on but just think my parenting is all wrong and doing everything the wrong way if you know what I mean.

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

my joshua(5) has a few,

trains,thomas,steam and more annoyingly hornby trains.

water

taking things apart and fixing them

fans

electricity

making strange inventions

my other undiagnosed yet boy danny (4) has afew too

trains,steam,thomas

water

stickers

everything has to be the colour blue

building things with huge planks of wood

Edited by joshanddanfans

I noticed that nobody as mentioned that their child likes to:

Dress up

Wear masks

Always looking in mirrors

My son is 9, as any of your children still done this at that age, especially in public it doesn't bother him.

Many thanks

Amanda

Amanda my son likes masks but hates dressing up, he would rather get his clothes off. He also likes marbles, soldier who look all the same to line up and he recently found out about toy guns and rifles etc.

He also is 9 now and goes straight to his PS2 after school and likes to watchs same DVD's again and again mostly at night before going to bed...

Take care,

SylvX

I noticed that nobody as mentioned that their child likes to:

Always looking in mirrors

Yup. James has done this all his life since he was a baby. He watches himself in the blank tv screen, has to have a mirror to hand if he's crying or laughing so that he can watch himself, gets utterly hysterical with laughter when he stands in front of the mirror to brush his teeth (he's not THAT bad looking). At one time I even considered taking all the mirrors out of the house because they're so distracting to him, but I caught him polishing the chrome taps and laughing at his reflection there. I even have to cover the large mirror in the dining room when he's doing homework because he turns around to face it and I can't get him to the table. Same at mealtimes, very often, and he won't eat because he's watching his reflection.

It extends to areas of his body he can't see. Eg, if his back is itchy and I say it's red, he'll want me to take a photograph of it so that he can see. And he was beside himself when he had to have a butterfly stitch when he cut his chin because he couldn't see it properly in a mirror, though he could see the rest of his face.

It doesn't seem to be a common one, does it Amanda? I'd certainly never heard it before.

He has always hated dressing up as well, until Harry Potter caught his eye. Now I can't get the flippin' robes off him.

Karen

x

Hi everyone, my son's obsessions are opening and closing doors, phones and lightswitches. They do seem to come and go a bit tho, sometimes he wants to do nothing but open doors (especially unfamiliar doors) and sometimes he ignores them.

Just want to say that I have been laughing my socks off at your responses - not necessarily at the actual obsessions, but at the way you tell em!! LOL! So lovely to hear everyone with such great senses of humour :lol:

:D My dd's obsessions are

Barbie

Music videos with dancing eg Steps, Kylie, S Club 7, that sort of thing :wallbash:

Baby Einstein videos/DVDs

Teletubbies

BBC computer games, Teletubbies, Balamory, Toybox

smearing poo :tearful::sick:

water - bath, shower, paddling pool, puddle of wee you get the picture :rolleyes:

food obsessions, will only eat certain things

Disney Princesses

Mirrors

Surprisingly enough not thomas the tank engine or bouncy castles :D Well there's always one who has to be different lol!

Well, my 4 year old (middle of assessments, no dx...probably never!) has a new obsession with numbers that's driving me potty! :lol:

Everywhere we go, all through the day, a little voice asks the following about house numbers, car regs, numbers in Tesco, etc, etc...

'What number is a 4 and a 3?'

Me '43'.

DS 'What number is it together?'

Me 'Well, if you had 4 sweeties and I gave you another 3 how many would you have? Lets count on from 4...etc, etc'

This is ok until the voice pipes up while I'm driving 'What number is a 4 and a 6 and a 2 and a 9??'!!!

I wouldn't mind, but I'm pants at maths! :lol:

Bid :wacko::wacko:

Edited by bid

Bid, wait till he's expecting you to do algebra in your head!

Com has been thinking in algebra since 5 (possibly earlier) but now he's 13 he's lost interest in the number games he used to insist on as we aren't good enough any more. shame in some ways, they were great for keeping him busy in queues and waiting rooms.

Amanda, our kids need their obsessions. They help them to relax and focus. They give our kids a great deal of comfort in a strange world.They are part of how our children learn and unless the obsession is harmful to them or someone else then there is no reason to feel letting your child explore them is wrong or inappropriate.

They can be maddening but they aren't bad.

also remember that most AS kids struggle with their social and emotional development; they often need to play in the way young children do for far longer and restricting any play without a good reason may do more harm than good.

one of the mainstream therapies being developed for working with people with autism and other learning disabilities focuses on interaction at the child's level and they seem to be finding that many autistic children in fact need to go back to baby play (peek -a-boo games. push -pull games and nursery rhymes for example) because those games are the roots of our social interaction skills.

Don't worry about the embarrassment - your child has a disability, the other people around don't and if they are put out then that's their intolerance and their problem.

Most people like to see a child play anyway, even an older child - why else would they smile to see him in a mask.

As far as I can see, you're doing just fine

:thumbs:

Zemanski

Com has been thinking in algebra since 5 (possibly earlier) but now he's 13 he's lost interest in the number games he used to insist on as we aren't good enough any more. shame in some ways, they were great for keeping him busy in queues and waiting rooms.

In that case why not play algebra games. Start by multiplying two matrices.

Ha! Now you've got me thinking.

I think the worst one we've ever had was dog poo. Mark was facinated by it. He would examine it closely and then tell you the colour of the dog that did it, what brand of meat it had had fordinner and then loudly anounce just how fresh he thought it was. This went on for months, we actually had to get rid of our dog at the time because we couldn't cope with the consequences.

Before it got better it got worse, with Mark examining the contents of the loo and trying to tell our visitors what they had had for lunch the day before.

I laugh now but at the time it was awful :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's true about the nursery rhymes and songs Zemanski, my dd still enjoys all the little rhymes, tickling and counting fingers and toes rhymes etc. It makes her giggle, she likes it and it means I get some interaction from her. I feel silly doing it in public but it's worth it to distract her or make her smile :)

I'm afraid 'number games' includes algebra - we really can't do calculus in our heads!

What do you mean we can't do calculus in our heads! Engineers are always solving differential equations on the spot and that requires calculus. Has Com got into differential equations yet? It is A2 rather than AS but it is a real FUN subject and was one of my favourite A-Level topics.

my sons obssessions are :-

1,scooby doo

2.star wars

3,spiderman this one got us into trouble as he climbed out of the window on to the roof to be like his hero and at the minute he will only wear his spiderman costume and it definatly needs a wash but he sleeps in it to

4,water any anywhere

5,washing his hands

6,swords

7,hitting people to see if it hurts

8,lawnmowers (although hes terrified of them)

9,power tools

and well i could go on and on but i think we get the jist most obssessions seem to be the same isn it strange?

oh the other obsession that courses truble is wanting to look at every ones chest and stomach not a good one for the public

The problem is not so much that I can't do the calculus but the ability to think up complex enough problems on the spot - I only did O-level and that was 25 years ago now.

I'm not an engineer, a physicist, etc. - I'm a primary teacher

I think we've done pretty well to keep up with him so far!

do you fancy mentoring him?

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

My sons' obsessions are

1 Hoovers ( treats them like a family member as long as they are not on)

2 Balls

3 Golf

4 Water - anywhere!

5 Feet

6 Socks

7 Going on about the colour of the sky

8 Lawnmowers and Strimmers

9 Birthday cakes

10 Watching a potty dvd

11 Shopping trolleys

:) hi all,

couldn't resist adding to this one..my son is six..

1, transformers

2, bionicles

3, scooby doo

4, water (anywhere, anyhow..)

5, my hair - he constantly touches it

6, my nails - same as above..

7, puzzles

8, drinking from a certain spot on his cup - will turn it around and around till he finds it..

don't start me on Thomas the Tank! from the age of one year to three and a half that is all he would play/watch. first thing in the morning, before breakfast, before anything :wacko: i had to set up the wooden train track - and it was huge, ran through the lounge, into dinning room, into kitchen....... he had to line them up a certain way, count them etc. i was sooooo pleased when that one passed :blink:

Hi,

We're still on carwashes, this has been going for around 6 months and we're all except youngest mightily sick of em !!

We even had to go and watch one on holiday, sat in 80 degrees+ waiting for someone to wash their car. We filmed it as well so he could watch on tv in apartment at night. My, we got some funny looks !

I stupidly told him beforehand that there weren't any carwashes in Fuerteventura (been several times before and never NOTICED any !! )

After first week of driving around he knew where they all were, and the colour of their brushes (v. important) and if they only had a jet wash (poor)

I kept telling school he'd soon move onto a new obsession, as in the past. Ha, ha mummy !

Tonight, he took great interest in me trying to fix dyson, and got his tools out to fix his toy one.

Might this be a new obsession ? let's hope so,

wac

P.S. do have hilarious film clip of other half getting out of car whilst in carwash to take off ariel. Would send it YBF, but am too ashamed of scrap-heap car !

Edited by waccoe

My dear Julian's obssessions are:

Airplanes,

Airplanes

Airplanes

Airplanes

:lol:

Thomas Tank

Airplanes

Airplanes

Airplanes

Water (bath time can take hours if you let him!)

He used to watch the numbers going round on the dvd player/cd player but does not do that anymore

Playing with airplanes

naming airplanes

watching airplanes (local airport - they now us by name know!)

watching airplane dvds

looking at airplane related books

making airplane noises

oh the list is endless :crying:

that is it

Have to blame Daddy for this obssession!

Caroline

I once saw a car go into a carwash with an open rear window. The driver couldn't reach the winder, so he got out and opened the door to close the window. He left the driver's door open and the brushes started up. One of the brushes went inside the open door and ripped the seat. The other brush knocked the driver over and completely covered him in detergent. When he got up he was blasted by the water spray. It was hilarious.

My eldests obsessions are

onion skins

tin foil

blue tack

fluff out of sette

lego

car crashes

drawing

videos

when he was little there were washing machines and fans aswell

My son lived his whole life through obsessions. His latest is SpongeBob. He's all the DVD + film, watches them continuosly. If I see another SpongeBob's episode I scream :lol:

Now he wants to open an hamburger restaurant (like in SpongeBob). He's learnt to cook and prepare hamburger sandwiches (they're actually quite tasty, with bacon and lettuce ;), which he MUST prepare for WHOEVER comes and visits us. All his friends have tasted his own "Crabby patties" and they actually liked them. Now he says he wants to learn to cook more things, and I am more than willing to teach him. Finally, a bit of help in the house :lol::D:thumbs:

Edited by Corcaigh

with kieran we still have the steam train obsessions and rally cars etc but we also have to contend with the tv series obsessions. we ve gone from only fools and horses to dinner ladies and victoria wood. robot wars and now we are onto bad girls just bought all the dvd box sets wouldnt mind but he doesnt actually watch them just carries them around with him finding pictures ofteh internet and magazine articles i wonder whats next. lynn

Having a fun afternoon, took my son shopping no tantrums... :thumbs: I told him he could buy something so he decided on a costume...again.. :lol: Woolworths were selling Darth Vader 7-11 year olds so got him that so he was very happy... :D My hubby :lol: when he seen him in it and it makes sounds like breathing same as in Star Wars. He went out to show everyone and thought he'd look in someones living room window to see what he looked like Again... :lol: Dont our kids make us :lol: so much when we see them happy and having fun... :thumbs::dance::clap:

Take care

Amanda

Edited by Amanda32

Hiya,

Robyns obsessions are as follows:

1) ice

2) cucumbers

3) listening to the same song over and over again

4) Raven, Lizzie maguire

5) carrier bags, handbags high heeled shoes

6) Toilet Roll, tissue, she can make the most lovely things. All barbies and teddys all have outfits made out of andrex. When we go to visit my mum ,she always hides the loo rolls.

7) Masking tape as above.

8)Stones, pebbles, shells and she can tell you a story about each one. She went on a school trip and come back with presants for us all!!!! Yes you guessed it, we all got a pebble each. She went to the gift shop and bought herself an amethyst.

9) collecting magazines and newspapers even though she cant read that well.

10) Phone numbers from adverts.

These are only off the top of my head I could go on forever.

Kerry

One of my son's is interested in plumbing. He loves the washing machine and has spent hours of his life (from a baby in a baby walker to 8 years old!) starting in to the washing maching when it's on. When he was 4 or 5 he went through an obsession about the inside of toilets and wanted to know what colour everyone's ballcock was. He would visit every toilet he could and remove the cistern lid to look at the ballcock! He could list the colour of everyone's ballcock and the varying size and shapes!

Thankfully the ballcock one was short lived but he now talks incessantly about:-

boats

extreme weather conditions

praying mantis

crickets (the insect variety)

guns

swords

Dr Who's sonic screw driver

light sabers (star wars)

could go on but I won't, as he goes on enough!

Love him to bits but find his constant talking and interrogations about his special interests very tiring at times!

Lauren

Have just spent 2 weeks on holiday with chelsie and she was obsessing about her game boy so we took it off her and she obsessed about a pretty stone she had found so we took that off her and she obsessed about a drinking straw!.............We gave her back her game boy!

her usuall obsessions are

101 dalmations

horses

stones

pc

reading

Colins obesssions are#

stones for his stone collection???

his GAMEBOY ( bl*&dy thing)

Playstation and all things computer

action man

and I have to say the following before he'll go to sleep at night,

Goodnight, sweetdreams, love you, see you in the morning, kiss, dont let the bed bugs bite, have a good sleep, no talking when the light goes out, dont wake up too early in the morning, then another kiss and then a cuddle - then husband has to do the same......

He counts them as we do it and wont go to sleep unless its done.

How did I miss this one :o

The very first obsession that we noticed was, in Alex's bedroom we had put locks on all of the cupboards. He used to scream his head off until all the locks were facing the same direction.

from there he went to

Thomas the tank (always had to line them up).

Sharks (knew everything there was to know about them even Latin names) We still have a big collections of books on them.

Dinosaurs - ditto

Pylons - covered his bedroom floor with cut-out ones made in great detail from paper and Selotape linked together with string.

Playstation and XBox

Cars - anybody he heard mention a car model, he would tell them everything about the car model in great detail.

Smartie tubes- had a whole drawer full of them ????!!!!

Now - still into cars, but is also into rap music. Writes his own, his way of letting his emotions out.......so isn't all bad.

Annie

XX

Hi all,

my two year old loves:

Sand (trickling through fingers and throwing)

Stones (trickling through fingers and throwing)

Water (pouring with a cup)

Toy Story

Switching TV, video, DVD, lightswitches, plug sockets on and off (usually about 5 minutes before the end if its something we're watching!)

Watching the trailers at the beginning of disney videos over and over again

Fast forwarding everything....

He's just getting into train tracks, the big question is - Thomas the Tank - do we go there or not?!!!!

By the way - for those collecting rubber bands - you can make a ball of rubber bands that you keep adding to, makes a great bouncy ball!

Mel

Probably cheaper to avoid Thomas the Tank Engine :rolleyes:

Latest one my dd has come up with is sprinkling. She started off with dried grass where it had been mowed, she gets handfuls and sprinkles it, then she moved on to sawdust from the rabbit run at the play sessions she went to in the summer, much to another ASD girls' annoyance :wacko: Now when she goes in the garden if there isn't any dry grass to do it with she starts tearing up the lawn :rolleyes: Well, when I say 'lawn' I mean 'tatty grass that is in the garden' :rolleyes: