helenmorbey

Is this usual?

My little girl will be 5 in september, were still waiting to see if she has ASD (back to the paediatricians in july), ive noticed shes always counting things! Toys, sweets, people anything really! Today i took her to nursery and it was very windy (which she hates) and she had a ponytail, all the way to nursery she held her ponytail saying the wind will blow it off, she was really unhappy untill i took it out then she was unhappy as the wind was blowing her hair , i tried to tell her the wind wont blow off ponytails but she refuses to believe me. Shes having terrible squabbles with her older sister who is 9 and they are literally because shes (older one) looking at the little one, she shouts dont look at me, followed by crying/screaming and if the older one opens her mouth even it kicks off again. Is it all usual? Helen x :bounce:

Hi Helen,

I think it's all perfectly 'normal' (if you know what I mean). My AS daughter's 12 and still shouts and screams if anyone 'looks at her', we even have the 'why are you/they looking at me?' and 'why are you/they looking at me like that? etc etc - even when no-ones directly looking at her - just looking in the same direction. Can perfectly understand the pony tail thing too.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Yep perfectley normal.

My As son is 12 and will yell dont look at me and why are you looking at me like that ect...............

He also went through a phaze of counting and reciteing stuff over and over againe in a kinda of chunntering way.I think it gave him some comfort and helped him cope so i never stopped it.

Yes very familiar here as well.

M also doesn't like to be looked at . If we smile we are being rude if we look at him with a straight face we are being rude, he hates it!

The wind thing struck a chord as well. M is and always has been worried when it is windy. If i laid something across the buggy when it's windy he grabs it straight away to hold it as he is scared it will blow away. This is the same with everything when its windy, so can totally relate.

We also have the counting thing. i put a lot of it down to him not playing with toys as he doesn't really know how to so he has always lined them up or sorted and counted them. He collects anything!!!!

mum22boys

Our 5 yr old daughter screams "don't look at me, don't look at me" at the other children when she gets into her transport to school. She doesn't like it at all and will turn her head to face the window. She also had huge difficulty with her hair blowing in the wind, especially if it happened to blow into her face. Made her very upset.

Edited by Bagpuss

I dread windy days. The wind sends the boys off the scale. I think it just disorientates them even more and it makes noises and changes things.

They're both pretty OK about being looked at, except ds2 when he's on the toilet. Fair enough, I suppose! Wish I could get that much privacy.

wade hates it when we look at him and will rarely make eye contact..it's all very normal for children like this.

The wind thing may be a sensory issue.. wade doesnt seem to mind the wind as much as he does the rain. although i have caught him covering his ears on a windy day before. hang in there..:)

Sounds like you daughter has a sensory problems and this can lead to them having a meltdown. There is a lot of information on sensory integration on the internet.

Jen

My 10 yr old same- says things like "what you looking at!!!" - even when glance at him, this is one trait I dont understand- does anyone else!!??

lisa

Hi

My 4.5 year old son (recently diagnosed with AS) will kick off if someone even so much as looks at him. For instance, shortly after Christmas time I took him out for a walk accompanied by his care worker (who thankfully witnessed the incident!) ? R has his remote control thunderbird. A middle-aged friendly woman passer-by commented what a lucky boy he was to have got such a nice toy from santa. He got extremely cross and flipped, shouting and growling at the poor woman not to look at him. This is by no means an unusual occurrence and happens frequently. I can't work out why he does this ? I guess he may find someone speaking to him intrusive maybe? Can't give any advise as such on how to handle it ? I simply try to ignore it.

Best wishes.

C.

These sound famaliar with my son... i notice that when he is having to get through something or is building up stress then the "dont look at me", or the mumbling under his breath at strangers happens.. I think he must feel very exposed and vunerable when he feels he might freak out or is about to freak out... Noises always used to unsettle him when younger, and even now (13) if he is in a mood , he will say, "what was that noise", and get quite annoyed if i didnt hear anything, which most of the time i dont.... I certainly remember how i could never hoover when he was a toddler, and i think he hears things that i just dont focus on..like the whirring of electrical equipment for example...

Thanks everyone, it seems her behavior is fairly normal then (whatever that is), i forgot to say she also counts syllables! She will say "i love you one hundred" while saying it she kind of counts it breaking the one hundred bit down and saying it slowly while counting on her fingers. Also a recent thing is lining her cars up, now she didnt do that untill about a week ago! She dosent exactly play with them just lines them up and knows if one has been moved! However plays quite "normally" with other toys, she will be 5 in september and i didnt imagine she would become more "autistic" with age, does this happen? Helen xx

Hi Helen,

I think as they get older the differences become more apparent in lots of ways, especially routines and rigidity. When my daughter was younger I just put lots of her differences down to the way she was (if you know what I mean).

Take care,

Jb

My sons act "more autistic" when stressed.

At the open day of the mainstream college, T was flapping, and I have never seen him do that before. He was obviously very stressed, and wanted to leave.

The only time I have noticed R avoiding eye contact, is when he is meeting a psychiatrist/EP/etc for the first time.

I wouldn't say they get more autistic as they get older, just that autistic behaviour becomes more obvious when you are comparing them to their NT peers.

Karen