Viper

Big Brother has a boy

Did anyone see him? He is brilliant, he has verbal as well as physical tics. I think he is such a genuine person. He plays in a rock band and is totally insane. He uses his touretts to his advantage and really doesn't care. Brill. :dance:

Edited by Viper

Mrs P was just watching it live and they are all ignoring his tic's (apart from asking him if he was ok). Good for him...and them too. He has got some guts going in there knowing the stress it will place him in.

Dare I say the younger generation are much more accepting of peoples differences these days? I suppose inclusion has something to do with that. I remember as a kid we had a remedial class where all the different children went. They had a separate playground and I am sorry to say I was scared of them. We never really got chance to get to know them and ignorance makes things seem scary t kids so there is something to be said for inclusion. If only it could be better handled.

Just watching GMTV with a interview with Roy Hillard - Tourette Syndrome Uk - he is saying that he thinks that the pressure and stress could make his Tourettes worse and he feels he will be ridiculed because of his tourettes.

He was saying that alot of parents will be concerned by what reaction kids will have to seeing someone on telly with tourettes and therefore there kids with tourettes will be made fun of??? (its not really a programme for kids now is it but i know what he means kids will see it and maybe make fun)

Give the bloke a chance... He is brave to go in to the house and only time will tell..

I was a bit sceptical when I saw Pete last night as his Tourette's makes him a bit OTT for an Aspie (well, for me anyway) but I was pretty annoyed this morning as I listened to the Chris Moyles show taking the <insert appropriate rude word here> out of him

All credit to him for going on BB and maybe he'll come out of it OK - what the public reaction to him and Tourette's will be is another matter though and I just hope that the media present a balanced view (not a cat in hell's chance...)

I really loved this guy when I saw him,really hyper and bouncing about.I hope the people in the house give him the oppurtunity to talk about tourettes and explain the condition, before they begin to judge.He let out an expletive last night when talking to the older lady who immeadiately blanked him and turned the other way!Some of the people in there seem a little self obsessed and you could already see groups splitting off.........I,m unsure who Pete (I think his name is ).....will fit in with.I also saw gmtv this morning.

Hmm Im not so sure , I felt uncomfortable watching..not so bad I turned off the tv mind you!

:blink:

I think this guy is being used by Big Brother, they wont have his best interests at heart.

He is dynamic and bouncy and sweary, my friend has a son with tourettes, he was upset watching this as he felt like he would be seen as entertainment or a circus freak.

I dont know, hope it turns out cool for him.

redberry

i love him, i think hes a genuine gentle person, he comes across as very friendly. i dont like that model bloke, or that girl with blonde hair who thinks shes gorgeous!

and as for the scottish bloke hes a nutter lol.

u can tell i dont know any of their names yet cant u lol

Not too sure how I feel about this ,will see how it goes hope Big Brother doesn't use him to get viewers,not sure he should be in there (Please don't shoot me for this!) I think it is too like the circus freak thing of years ago ,on Big brothers part. Hope I'm wrong

Edited by asereht

I don't think Pete should have been denied the opportunity to join the other contestants just because he is disabled. That would be discrimination. He knows the consequences, he is an intelligent young man and decided for himself that he wanted to be in there.

As for children being targeted at school, it could work the other way. Kids watch big brother and see the contestants as idols. They could see Pete and think that a school friend is cool because he has the same condition.

I think the media spend too much time on negative aspects of things and never look at the positives.

Pete is a cool bloke despite his Tourettes, kids want to aspire to people like him. Why can't he just be there for his personality and not for his DX. Tourettes is a fact of life, we all need to come to terms with the differences in people and programmes like this show real people, it can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Isn't there a saying "it takes all sorts to make a world" ?

Time will tell.

I agree with Viper here. Big Brother is more than just a Reality TV show and popularity contest, it is a study in human behaviour too. These people are being totally closeted in this atmosphere and I think what it does do is bring out the best (and the worst) in people, including Pete. Here we will see a situation where normal human beings will be made to deal 24/7 with a person with a disability. Pete himself seems to be quite positive about the whole situation - personally I think anyone who reacts badly to him in the house will only be making themselves out to be shallow and self-centred.

And I think the opposite may occur to kids in the playground who may be ridiculed - the likelihood is that Pete will not be among the first inmates to be voted out, he's been brought in as a study. Because of this people will have the opportunity to see his disability for what it is and either for good or bad it will raise awareness of his day to day issues.

Right - that's me off me soap box! :D

I was pleased to see the BB7 website has links to the Tourettes info sites :D

I'm sure they will milk all the humour they can out of Pete's tics - especially seeing how people react to his swears, but I get the impression he knows exactly what he's letting himself in for and has a real mission - good on him.....

....No doubt the Times will print an article saying he's making it all up to get DLA, seems to be their favourite way of being controversial at the mo!

Plus, adding to Daisy and Viper - I listen to teenagers talking about the programme - and it's a really accessible way for young people to discuss morality, seeming to be the basis that the judgements about popularity are made - which I think is an interesting indication of the values of the general population. Anyway, blah blah - just justifying my BB addiction again! :D

I have read and argued so much on other forums about this today,I dont think people are giving pete enough credit for making his own decisions,Ive heard all day how big brother are exploiting him because he has Tourette's,but he went and auditioned to go in there,He isnt thick or dumb or naive just because he has Tourette's,I think he is extremley brave to do what he is doing ,and i can only have the highest regard for him,i do hope that he can change people's perception of Tourette's,i think if he manages that and gains some acceptance of who he is,he will have made a marvellous achievement,not only for himself but for every Tourettes sufferer and their families,he gets my vote. :thumbs:

Hi

I think well done Pete it must take a great deal of confidence to go on to the show.It also shows that people with disabilities are normal people fitting into normal every day life.I do think some of the other house mates where def' staring and not sure what to make of him.I think he will be fantastic and say what he thinks about people and not back stab.

Go Pete :dance:

Lisa

P.S I do think there are a lot of very big personalities this year

They're ALL wannabes: he wants to be famous for Tourette's.

I think I may have seen him performing a circus act, maybe in Covent Garden, or busking on the tube.

he lives in brighton i think

A friend of mine with Aspergers Syndrome got down to the last 50 for Big Brother a couple of years ago. He views it as a huge achievement and it's one of his favourite stories to tell new people. I'm not sure he could have coped if he had got in but well done him for trying.

As for Pete, I'm sure he's lived with prejudice all his life and totally expects what will inevitably happen from the press coverage. I just hope that it raises public awareness of the condition and that a bit more understanding is afforded to those who have it.

They had a psycholigist on BBLB. He talked about how Pete had been through all the psychological prosesses that the others went through and he is a very strong person. He also gave a description of the condition and said it is only a small part of who he really is.

I think it was a very good interview and BBLB took time to talk about it.

I never realised Eugene had Aspergers. I remember when he first went in, thinking Oh No, he's a lovely fella and he's been plonked in there to be the laughing stock. Felt really unhappy with Big Bro and he looked so lost to begin with. But, had to eat my words. He was loved by the public and I was so chuffed by how he got on :thumbs:

Not sure how it will pan out with Pete. I HOPE it raises awareness and he gains something positive from the experience. I tend to agree that he is an adult, able to make his own decisions, and obviously has alot of courage to do it. Keeping everything crossed for him :clap:

Justamom and Bagpuss

If this BB is anything like the last one you'll know everything about everybody by the time the Krismites are finished taking it to pieces bit by bit!

Lets just say BB became quite the topic of conversation especially with Eugene's involvement! :D

I know that we all thought that Eugene had Aspergers Syndrome but I don't think it was ever proven guys :unsure:

Oracle

do any of you watch "big brothers mouth" on e4 after big brother -i think its so funny with that guy russell :lol::lol:
Edited by Viper

I work in a school and one of our LSAs has Tourettes. Young children are incredibly accepting and I can honestly say her tics have never been an issue. The children simply see a lovely, caring woman as do all the staff.

I know that we all thought that Eugene had Aspergers Syndrome but I don't think it was ever proven guys :unsure:

Oracle

His mother gave an interview on GMTV after the show had finished and said he had Aspergers.

russel brand is fab, i love him when he comes over all victorian. hes great.

funny isnt it though i always notice that the 'special' ppl in big brother turn out to be the most kind and human of the whole bunch. some of them are just out for themselves and wd step on their granny to get 5 mins on telly