Sign in to follow this  
brooke

new girl!

Hi i am new to this but desperate to chat with people who understand. My little boy has an asd he is 5 i just wish people could understand more we dont really know anyone who has the same problems but just reading some of the messages makes me realise we are not alone. Does it get any easier when they get older? He does have speech but its taken a while its more his behavior that is out of control. :crying: He is a big lad in size 8 clothes and lashes out at me and his younger brothers when he cant get his own way or when he doesnt understand which is oftern

Edited by brooke

Hi brooke and welcome to the forum. Lots of us on here will be able to relate to your son's situation. As you have already found out by reading some of the posts you are far from alone.

Hi Brooke,

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad you've found us. You're not alone and we do understand >:D<<'> .

My lad is 16 now, but when he was smaller I really couldn't imagine what life the next week, his behaviour was :tearful: too, let alone years ahead, but we've made it. We've had a few bumps along the way, but we're here.

Any questions, just ask. Even if you just want a rant, go fot it. We get to have a giggle sometimes as well :thumbs::clap:

Annie

xx

Hi Brooke and welcome,

I'm a relatively newbie too - but the amount of help and advice on here is fantastic - I'm sure you'll find loads.

With their behaviour getting easier as they get older - personally for me I'd say it gets different (my daughters 12 and only recently diagnosed) - there are things that get easier and new things that develop that are harder - and then it moves on again etc. It seems to me that my daughters behaviour reflects the amount of anxiety and stress she's coping with at any given time - todays anxiety may be fine tomorrow (if you can get to find out what it is and you can sort it) or it may go on for months and months, and then tomorrow might bring new anxieties and worries etc. The only thing is that if they get aggresive - the older they get the worse it gets because it is harder to control and of course they get stronger.

Take care,

Jb

Hi brooke and welcome :D

It's very difficult not to worry about the future and in some respects you have to think ahead; but what I've learned to do, even though it's difficult, is to try to make things good in the here and now. Children do change as they get older and mature, but it's almost impossible to predict what those changes will be.

Concentrate on understanding AS and how it affects your son now and once you've got a good understanding of him you will be able to see a pattern in how things affect him, what his difficulties actually are and how you can help him. That way, when the inevitable changes DO occur you should be able to spot them. Having said all that, it is though very important to think ahead on some things, particularly to do with education AND almost impossible not to worry about the future.

The best thing to do is to arm yourself with knowledge.

Lauren x

Hi there, just thought id say hello , im just starting on the same path as you (oh the joys), you are not alone and this site has been a godsend to me as it will be to you im sure, Helen x

Hi there, just thought id say hello , im just starting on the same path as you (oh the joys), you are not alone and this site has been a godsend to me as it will be to you im sure, Helen x

thanks for your messages i feel a lot better just knowing we are not alone because it often feels that way. im just waiting now to find out about where he will go for yr1 at school although they have been very good with him i hate not knowing what will happen to him and wheather he will accept a change!

Hi Brooke and wellcome to the forum we are a nice bunch with lots of experiences and advise to share.The answer to your questions are ASD just like non ASD children are all different we all can tell you our thoughts but it is a wait and see game I believe.Some people will say it gets easier some will say it gets harder. In my opinion with ASD its 2 steps forward and 5 steps back and obsesions etc change you think they stopped doing something and something they used to do ages ago crops back up.It sure is like putting your hand into a lucky dip you never know whats coming next!!!!

Lov Lisa