Sign in to follow this  
Chappus

New body

Hi

I'm new to this site and to the world of Autism.

I have three sons aged 5, 4 and three.

My son, John aged 4, has just been diagnosed with Autism after 2 and half years of us saying there is something different about him. We are in the process of having an educational statement done for him. I thought once we had a diagnosis everything would fall into place, all the help he needs and life would become easier for the rest of our family. But this has not been the case, if anything the stress levels have increased. He's currently in a main stream nursery and has been offered a place in the attached school, but I'm worried this is not the best place for him. I love my son dearly and would go to the ends of this world for him, but at times when he starts to throw a tantrum, I just wish I could walk away and not turn back. which just makes me feel like pure evil. (and today hasn't been that bad!!) :wallbash:

Hi

I'm new to this site and to the world of Autism.

I have three sons aged 5, 4 and three.

My son, John aged 4, has just been diagnosed with Autism after 2 and half years of us saying there is something different about him. We are in the process of having an educational statement done for him. I thought once we had a diagnosis everything would fall into place, all the help he needs and life would become easier for the rest of our family. But this has not been the case, if anything the stress levels have increased. He's currently in a main stream nursery and has been offered a place in the attached school, but I'm worried this is not the best place for him. I love my son dearly and would go to the ends of this world for him, but at times when he starts to throw a tantrum, I just wish I could walk away and not turn back. which just makes me feel like pure evil. (and today hasn't been that bad!!) :wallbash:

hi chappus and welcome to the site!! i've only been a member on this site for a few wks,my daughter was diagnosed just under a month ago,we've got ed phyc coming to see her soon to find her a pre-school place in sept but theres not alot here as she needs 1-1.everyone here is really helpful and i just like to be able to talk to people who know how i feel!!!hope u find it as good as i have :thumbs::wub:

Hi Chappus,

Welcome to the forum. Have a good look round, if you haven't already: it's a great place for support and information, and a lot of people will undersand the mixed feelings you have.

I hope the statementing process goes smoothly - let us know what happens,

Kathryn :)

Edited by Kathryn

A warm welcome to the forum Chappas, :)

This is a great place, you will find lots of support and understanding here. Any questions, just ask.

Nellie xx

Hi Chappus,

Welcome >:D<<'>

I've recently joined too, and hope you find this forum as great as I have :D I've also had times when I've wanted to just walk out the house, get in the car and just drive....not sure where to though :( Hang in there >:D<<'>

Hi Chappus,

Welcome to the forum :) .

You'll find lots of support here. I know I can relate to how you feel at the moment. Hang in there, we do understand how you feel.

Annie

xx

Hello and welcome Coucou07.gifCoucou07.gifCoucou07.gif

I can relate to what you are saying. I have a 4 yr old who has just started at mainstream school. I am awaiting the outcome of his statutory assessment with baited breathe. Been lucky in having had a lot of support from the Early Yrs SEN service but having to fight for decent SALT and his OT is non-existant.

Have you done Earlybird course? We did it last term and found it very helpful

Liz x

hello, believe me when i say we have all had days, (emphasis on the DAYS), like that. I know how u feel about mainstream schooling i was worried sick when my son started, he had been to an asessment unti for 3 months previously and a playgroup, but it took him ages to steel at school.

at storytime he would pace round the room cos he didnt want to sit on the carpet with the others, he would flap and squeak in assembly, much to the amusement of his classmates who would flap along with him and disrupt the whole ambiance lol.

but he is in secondary school now yr 8 and he is fine. he has his moments mostly others comments but the school are great with that, academically he is up there with the others.

I would say try it and see if hes not coping u can always change the arrangement.

good luck >:D<<'>

Hi Chappus and wellcome.

I think everyone on here as felt as you do at some point.I have bad days and good days the site is a great stress buster and has loads of great advise and info.Keep your chin up !!

Lisa x

Hi

Thank you all for your messages of support. I'm slowly making some progress. It does occassionally feel very Lonely especially when he kicks off in the school play ground. We are going on the Early Bird programme in September. I've been introduced to a fantastic support group which have been a wealth of information, support and cups of coffee.

I feel things (with a bit of a fight) are slowly coming into place for our ASD son, but its the other two I have concerns for. They get left on the sidelines whilst we try to sort John out. The youngest has now started mimicing John's behaviour and vocalisations. And the eldest just purely misses out on things because I can't take John there. No one said life was this going to be this stressful.... I seem to be trying to do my best for everyone and failing miserably.

On a happier note, I've discovered digging is a really good stress buster, I've decided to grow our own fruit and veg so have taken on an allotment. All this frustration and anger has really helped to clear the weeds. :groupwave: