Sign in to follow this  
phasmid

Post hacking precautions

As everybody is probably aware the forum was hacked into last night (21/05/06) and a Trojan horse virus placed onto the site. Admin took the immediate precaution of closing the site in an effort to stop the spread beyond the members who were on-line at that time.

The moderators have been reassured by the Admin team that it would be virtually impossible for members personal details (beyond those already freely available) to have been accessed. However we would suggest that for added peace of mind (NOT because of any perceived or known threat) that you may wish to consider changing your password. The site's Admin have pointed out in response to a question regarding passwords that:

it is always good practice to change passwords regularly and make them as complex as possible.

In an effort to help everyone who was affected please would members post on this thread any successful (freely available - we are not endorsing any products) anti-virus programs that they have used to get rid off any virus found on their system since yesterday.

The Mods

I use Norton which isn't free but there are some great precautions out there, such as Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware which are both free. The best way to cure a Trojan virus is to minimise the amount of items that are booted up in the Startup Menu when you log on as that's usually where Trojans reside. Turning off System Restore before logging out is good too then come back online and run the precautions again. This more often than not clears things. You can then switch on System Restore and reboot.

The most succesful on mine were:

SpyBot

AVG (free ed)

and a few others that I pay for. I was running an AVG scan when our friendly visito called as it happened (phew) it seems to have grabbed them as they cam in, had a good old round or two of puggilism and thrown them into the virus vault.

I have Norton - my computer is fine now :pray: - i think Norton kicked in and threw it out before it got very far.. How do i check if it's gone??

I used free AVG anti-virus to find and vault the infected files. It doesn't fix them or delete the virus, but we typed the name of the virus and found a website which gave simple instructions on how to remove the virus. This was simply clearning the java cache and then removing temporary internet files. I scanned the computer again and the virus was completely gone.

Lauren

After reading the replies I installed the AVG thingey. Its scanning computer at the mo. So far its found 20 infected objects :o:o Trojan things????? Is it really straight forward to vault these when scan is complete and do i wait for scan to finish before doing so?Complete techno phobe I'm afraid, and feel a little uneasy about viruses and how to deal with them properly. thanks.

Just to add scan now complete. Says it found 17. 9 deleted. Went onto Virus Vault and found 9 in there. Is that the 9 that have been deleted? What about the other 8?

Edited by Bagpuss

After reading the replies I installed the AVG thingey. Its scanning computer at the mo. So far its found 20 infected objects :o:o Trojan things????? Is it really straight forward to vault these when scan is complete and do i wait for scan to finish before doing so?Complete techno phobe I'm afraid, and feel a little uneasy about viruses and how to deal with them properly. thanks.

Just to add scan now complete. Says it found 17. 9 deleted. Went onto Virus Vault and found 9 in there. Is that the 9 that have been deleted? What about the other 8?

Bagpuss... If you go into you control panel, select the java icon, and then delete the java cache. Then go into tools on your browser, select internet options, and delete the temporary internet files. You have the same anti virus as me and it will detect the infected files but it won't delete them so you have to do the above.

Hope this helps!!

Lauren

Lauren,

Thanks for advice. :D DH is taking computer to shop tomorrow to have it looked at. We're abit worried about the other viruses we've found, and so flipping lousey at anything technical we thought we'd err on the side of caution and get the professionals to sort it :rolleyes: Our ds said tonight that he's been told going on Runescape can cause viruses, and he's always on it, but we don't know to be honest. Anyway, will be computer less tomorrow till next day, so will be sat at home, with forum withdrawal symptoms.... :tearful::tearful: Can you buy forum patches?? :lol::lol:

Hosts/Moderators,

Please ignore my email requesting/begging/pleading for help because I couldn't log back in :rolleyes::rolleyes: I was putting my forum name in rather than my username , which was why it kept saying member details not recognised.......... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest flutter

runescape can give u lots of viruses to start with

then as time goes on it gets less

it does seem to melt child's head, and make them loose all track of anything so it is now banned form my house ( nt child)

Hello

Don't know if it is relavent but just have a little pop up type thingy asking me if I want to debug because a runtime error has occured ???never had it before should I worry???

Lisa x

Edited by lisann

Again - don't know if it's relevent. But, the when i've clicked on the 'last click' part under the online user list - there's be lots and lots of 'registering' - it's been going on throughout the day. At one point it was a whole page full................. :unsure: