Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

Top team in Newcastle!

Yesterday I went to a prize giving for Martin (AS aged 9) he was in a team of three kids from his school who won the top prize in a regional schools' competition called "Mission to Mars". :D

The kids from primary schools all over the city all arrived on the morning of the competition with no knowledge of a particular computer programme created to control a robot to follow a set of instructions around a 'lunar' landscape.

Within a few hours they had to learn how to programme the robot and send it off to follow a set course around the landscape following instructions the kids had fed into the computer. The kids had to look at the landscape and work out the best programming method to get the robot to follow it. Martin's team won mastering over 90% of the course. :dance: The school won the software and the robot plus a fancy digital video camera (worth several hundred pounds). The kids got a certificate and a ?10 book voucher and had their pix taken for the local paper.

Interestingly enough Martin and another boy from his school were the only boys to win the competition, the other member of their team was a girl. But more interesting was the fact that the second and third place went to all-girl teams. Seems girls are steaming ahead in the IT field!

:clap::notworthy: Martin :notworthy::clap:

Brilliant! Unless someone sits me down and shows me how something works I am stuffed. Brilliant that they were able to work this out!