Sign in to follow this  
TheNeil

Hang On...A 'Cure'?

Mrs TheNeil has started a new job this week and, during her various chats with her new boss, the subject of me and my AS came up. Now we're no way experts but we know more than your average NT so Mrs TheNeil was more than a little surprised when her new boss (who has no connection/contact with ASDs) starts rambling on about the subject and said (and I swear I'm not making this up) with the proper changes to our diet, my AS could be cured (not a simle' improvement' BTW but a full blown 'cure') - huh?

I bet the NAS (amongst others) would be delighted to know that answer to all of our ASD worries has been solved by a small decorating firm

I suppose I should have been consumed with rage but I was actually too busy being creased up with laughter :lol:

Edited by TheNeil

As a probable Aspergers myself I'd have been tempted to tell him to stick his cure where the sun doesn't shine. I am not ill, I am not in need of a cure, I'm me, odd, intelligent (sometimes :D), with my own personality and I will not have definite NTs say that because I have a different outlook on them I need to be cured.

Phew! Off soap box now :D

Getting help to deal with sensory issues, or communication difficulties is fine, no problem with that. But changing a person's whole personality, whole way of thinking, no, don't like that idea at all.

Well said Bullet.

My Son is who he is and i wouldn't change that for anything!!

I know that the concept of a 'cure' and whether you'd use it or not has been discussed in a different thread (I wouldn't BTW - the 'insanity' is part and parcel of the 'TheNeil' experience) but this woman's ascertion that everything could be 'cured' by just changing what I eat was just laughable (and yes, Mrs TheNeil's new boss is a woman)

I wasn't looking to have a go at NTs, question whether you'd use a 'cure' or not but, with the problems I've had recently this just had me laughing like a drain (do drains laugh?) :lol:

Leaving all that 'cure' thing aside :angry:

What I really love is the way they look so offended when you say, 'well actually...' and then politely explain the food intolerance theory or the pathological 'differences' between the AS/NT brain more fully. They sort of take it personally, which is quite ironic considering what they've just put forward for discussion! :lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

oh lord, thats all she needs a 'clued up' boss lol :lol:

:lol::lol: Hey, I think this woman is in the wrong job!..... NOT :D

I have had many a thing said to me about my son, as soon as his dx is mentioned

I then have to endure all the tiny snippets of info that these people have picked up on,

they then look at me as if to say 'see, I know about these things'! well, never mind about

me then, cause obviously I haven't bothered to find anything out myself :wallbash:

Sometimes it's best to do what you did Neil and just have a good laugh,

otherwise you can end up very angry listening to their blah blah blah's :D .

Brook

Isn't it wonderful that the rest of the world knows how to cure our children's AS and is willing to tell us?? :blink: People really do mean well with the snippets so sometimes we just have to grin and bear it. Hubby has a friend who is a "know it all" and is constantly trying to tell us what wade can and can't help behavious wise. He's left a few times miffed because we basically told him he didn't know what he was talking about and unless he'd researched it and actually lived with a child like we do, to keep his ideas to himself!!

Oh dear :huh: Boss must be a Daily Mail reader :whistle:

Lx

:lol::lol::lol: P'raps that's a way for Mrs TheNeil to endear herself to her new boss - take her the Daily Mail each day :lol::lol::lol:

Leaving all that 'cure' thing aside :angry:

What I really love is the way they look so offended when you say, 'well actually...' and then politely explain the food intolerance theory or the pathological 'differences' between the AS/NT brain more fully. They sort of take it personally, which is quite ironic considering what they've just put forward for discussion! :lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

i am still having trouble summarising for others (those that will be interacting with my son) what the differences are in laymans language just so that they can grasp that they are 'blaming' somewhere along the line because they do not understand that the difference is the basis of the reaction they get to their NT communication methods. i am not saying who is right or wrong just that there has to be some shift in some situations ie college rather than my son being treated as if he is either ill, uncooperative, and wrong and having to make all the changes himself? does anyone have more on helpful 'explaining' techniques?