Sign in to follow this  
weelewy

how do you approch schools??????

Hiya, lewis will be starting school next summer but they are having a meeting in november too see what school he should go to, some other parents told me to do my own research into the different schools to see what i think could offer him more, but what do you say when you fone them, and what kind of questions should i be asking if i get a meeting at any schools????? do you think that writing mabey a profile of lewis and his needs and giving it to the schools would be helpful?????

It's definately a good idea to write a profile of your child. I do this for my boys and update it regularly. I do a time line history of everything from early development, assessments, any difficulties, etc etc.

As for the schools, once you've identified any schools you are interested the best thing to do is ring them and ask for a meeting with the HT, when you can talk to them about your son and find out how or if they can meet his needs. Don't be afraid to contact them, it's new to you but they are dealing with enquiries often and will know exactly why you are ringing them.

The questions you ask them will depend a great deal on your childs needs; you need to find out how many children like yours are in the school and what provision the school have for them. Going round the school and seeing it in action is the best way to get a 'feel' for it to see if it's right for you son. Once you've narrowed your options down you should try to talk to other parents who have children at the school to get their views on it.

Lauren

It is always worth asking for School prospectuses and copies of their policies on things like special needs and discipline.It gives you some idea of the ethos of a school.Also,go and view any school that you are considering.You often get a gut feeling about which school feels right.xx