lyns

Really bad nights..........

Hi

I am feeling really down today, I just cant stop crying I'm not sure what to do really.

Last week ds had an ear infection and got antibitics and eardrops. Its really difficult to detect when he is ill but he started to self harm (hitting himself, banging head on wall etc) so I knew something was wrong.

Anyway this behaviour carried on all week and was especially bad in the night, he wouldnt sleep and all night was trying to hurt himself :crying:

To cut a long story short he had to have 2 lots of antibiotics but ear infection has now gone. He is really happy in the day and totally back to normal but when it comes to nighttime he starts up the self harming again. He'll maybe go to sleep for a couple of hours and then the screaming and hitting starts again :(

I cant bear it anymore I just dont know what to do his poor little face has bruises all over it and I just cant bear to look at him when hes like that it upsets me so much. I just dont know what to do about this. I'm physically and mentally drained and feel so ill myself. Ive been back to the docs with him and the doc said "what do you want me to do I'm not a miracle worker this behaviour is part of autism I'm afraid" :wallbash:

I know noone can really help but I just needed to get this off my chest

Thanks for listening

Lyns

xxx

Hi Lyns

My other son who is not on the spectrum had a similar ear infection problems.

It actually took 3 lots of antibiotics to get it cleared up - he took them for the 10 days or whatever & then it was fine for a couple of days.

As soon as he came off them it started again after just 2 hours of sleep he would wake up shaking his head and crying in pain. Then you would sit with him, get him back to sleep & 2 hours later it was the same.

My doctor said it was the ear infection resistant to the antibiotics. He also said when my son laid down the build up of stuff in the ear gets very bad and after about 2 hours it starts putting presuure on the nerves it the ear which causes the pain. When they sit up - pressure is released - its better & then you start the cycle all over again.

I would go back & ask for another check up or a referal We switched to anti fungal treatement as an alternative & that seemed to work. I cant remeber the name of it - I did post it here somewhere else ages ago as I did not want to go onto amoxicillin clavulate as I am not happy with the contents of it.

They combine this with homeopathic remedies here in France a lot. They said to put a bowl of hot water near the bed with tea tree & eucalyptus drops in too & we kept him sleeping almost upright if possible.

We also got a nasal spray to help reduce the build up in

the tubes that aggravates too

I am so sorry you are having a bad time - keep focused it will get easier - try diferent sleeping positions & it will go I am sure

Doctors know so much about autism huh!

Nikki

What a lovely caring person your doctor is!

We had this with my son several years ago. If you are sure the ear infection has gone he may have become so used to waking in the night and self harming that it has become part of his routine. Do you have melatonin or something you use to help him sleep? The only other thing I can think of is to get to him as soon as you realise he is awake and try to settle him with some calpol (which still works like magic on my son who is now 20) and a cuddle.

I truly know what you are going through, that horrible sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach in the middle of the night. Hold on in there and it will pass.

Take care

Lorainexx

Ben had an ear infection recently and even though it had cleared up he still had pain. When he sneezed or blew his nose he said it hurt. It turned out that although the infection had gone he still had fluid behind the ear drum that caused presure and pain. Try giving him pain killers if he can take them, before he goes to bed.

Hope he's better soon. Would it help if you propped a couple of books or pillow under his mattress so his head is raised a bit when he sleeps? Or wouldn't he like that?

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Oh Lyns - Can you see another Doc in the practice? I really feel for you - sending you strength and wishes for a recovery - >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi all

Many thanks for your replys. Its so nice to be able to just let it all out sometimes to people who understand so thanks for listening.

Hes still been the same in the night and last night he was awake from 1am till 5am and then had a couple of hours sleep and got up at 7am and in that time hhe just kept screaming. I'm going to take your advice and go back again!!!! In fact I might just bypass the doctor altogether (he is the only one in my practice) and just go over to the hospital I just dont care what they think of me.

The thing is I know something is bothering him still at night as he has always loved going to bed and has always slept right through, if he ever has woken up he has always settled himself and gone straight back to sleep and it just seems too much of a coinincedence that this has all started from the ear infection.

Thank you again and i will let you know how it goes

Lyns

xxxxxx