I am 40 and recently started getting PMT. For me it is helpful to get it as it is the only warning I get of a period being due to start. I get mega heavy, irregular periods I used to control with the pill but as I got mild Hypertension (possibly hereditary in my case) I have been taken off of that- the only help my doctor will give me for my periods is Tranexamic Acid which almost does nothing :wallbash::crying: ). I can't wait to go through the menopause and be rid of periods for ever. As I need my PMT untreated so it can warn me of my period so I can prepare for it (my periods make a lot of things difficult so I have to be ready) I haven't tried treating it.

Vanessa

Hi Guys,

Now I know this isn't related to autism, but I'm desperate here!! :wacko:

I have never had PMT in all my life, but it seems to have developed over the last few months :(

Does anyone know if it's related to (gulp) turning 40, next stop the menopause??

Does anyone have any good ideas to help with the psychotic mood swings, weepiness, etc?? :(:crying:

Yours in desperation :crying:

Bid :(

bid, you won't be menopausal yet, you're far too young!

Not necessarily. Bid could be going through the peri-menopause. That is the time that leads up to cessation of "periods".

I went into the peri menopause when I was 42 years old. For me, it started with subtle changes such as diminished libido, forgetfullness and my periods began to get lighter and shorter. I stopped menstruating when I was 47. No one is the same, we will have different symptoms as some will get "heavy and longer" with a libido they can't control !

The other thing to consider is that some autistic people may have Fragile X . One aspect of this condition is early menopause but if Bid is experiencing menopausal symptoms , I would say she is still within the normal range.

Bid, have you asked your mum when she went through her menopause, because they say that daughters tend to stop around the same time as their mothers. That was certainly true for me, as my mum ceased menstruating when she was 48yrs old.

I have just noticed, Bid. You started this thread in 2006. Have you any idea what the problem might have been ?

I have just noticed, Bid. You started this thread in 2006. Have you any idea what the problem might have been ?

[/i]

i]Does anyone have any good ideas to help with the psychotic mood swings, weepiness, etc?? [/i][

Don't know but she appears to be no better. :devil::devil::devil::lol:

Just to say that because this topic has been brought up again, I would like to say that I have killer PMT. I take star flower oil for mine which has a higher concentration of GLA in it than oil of eve primrose. It may help with menapause as well as PMT and is also good for circulation and brilliant for skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema. It can be pricey, so it's worth shopping around. Some supermarkets sell it for around £1.50 for 30 500mg (2 a day) tablets, where as some health food shops sell it for £10 for 30 1000mg (1 a day) tablets claiming high strength. Yes it is high strength, but clearly the supermarket ones are cheaper, even at 2 a day!

The only treatment for my PMT was to bve without periods for sometime. Im on the deprovera injection every 12 weeks. No periods and no embarrassing sanitary wear to purchase either.

Have hoped a thread on this would appear as was too embarrassed to open one myself. My only cure for PMT was the Pill which mostly masks it. I have endured horrendously heavy periods since I was 10; I use the Pill as a method of controlling this but since I turned 40 (now 46) they have been heavy anyway. I have been wondering if heavy periods can be a problem with AS? I am now 46 and about to have TCRE and Mirena Coil. Anyone had this?

I agree that chocolate is THE BEST MEDICINE. Small regular meals and not letting blood sugar drop is a more practical solution and in part works for me. I have not tried evening primrose oil yet. I do hope you find a solution, Bid. There is nothing worse than being a woman!

Yoyo

I have very heavy and irregular periods but unfortunately I am not allowed to use the pill or any other hormonal methods of controlling it. I have mild high blood pressure. :crying:

At least my PMT gives me some warning of my nest period.

Not necessarily. Bid could be going through the peri-menopause. That is the time that leads up to cessation of "periods".

I went into the peri menopause when I was 42 years old. For me, it started with subtle changes such as diminished libido, forgetfullness and my periods began to get lighter and shorter. I stopped menstruating when I was 47. No one is the same, we will have different symptoms as some will get "heavy and longer" with a libido they can't control !

The other thing to consider is that some autistic people may have Fragile X . One aspect of this condition is early menopause but if Bid is experiencing menopausal symptoms , I would say she is still within the normal range.

Bid, have you asked your mum when she went through her menopause, because they say that daughters tend to stop around the same time as their mothers. That was certainly true for me, as my mum ceased menstruating when she was 48yrs old.

I have never had regular periods except when they were being controlled by the combined pill (which I cannot take now). I would not be able to tell if my cycle changed its length.

Another proponent of Agnus Castus here :thumbs:

Menopause occurs at different ages so it could be that, or as someone has said you could be perimenopausal, which is worth looking into. If you Google there are lots of good resources and advice. Good luck.

Edited by millymouse