Sign in to follow this  
loulou

residential schooling

Hi,

I've just been to Kai's first Annual Review at his Special School (he started last September). He is nearly 8 and has ADHD/AS. Everything went well and they are really pleased with his progress, he really likes it there. He seems to respond well to the routines and their expectations of him. He has only kicked off twice since being there :thumbs: , whereas at his mainstream school, he did it every day.

The main problem i have with him is his behaviour AFTER school and at weekends/holidays. It has definately got much worse lately, and i wonder if it is due to the change in environment from school to home. To list a few recent "incidents", he has pulled my washing machine door off, ripped the bannister off the wall, cut a hole in his bedroom floor, bitten me really badly, tried to "kill" my neighbour's boy with a pair of garden shears and given him a black eye, the list goes on................. :( . All of these things have happened during meltdowns.

I told the Head all of these things and how hard i am finding it to manage him, especially as his social skills are so poor. He mentioned Kai boarding at the school Monday to Friday, as he thinks it may benefit him being in the same environment 24 hours a day.

Now here is my dilema, i am trying to think objectively about this one, but i keep thinking how nice it would be for ME to get some peace and quiet and how much more money i could earn if Kai was boarding. I have to think whether it would really benefit KAI. One half of me thinks it would be great for him, as he could interact with the other boarders and be in a safe environment (he can't play out where we live). He would also hopefully learn to be a bit more independant. The other half of me is totally confused ! :blink: . I have asked Kai about it and he said he would like to try it, but he would miss his trains and his cat :( .

Any thoughts or experiences would really be appreciated,

Loulou x

Edited by loulou

Hi Loulou >:D<<'>

If Kai is happy to try why don't you give it a go?? If it's Mon to Fri, he'll still have his trains and cat at the weekend, and school holidays.

His free time at school will be much more structured than it is possible to do at home, and he will probably be able to do things that it's difficult to offer at home too.

My son has had a great time at his residential school, and got to do things (like rock climbing) hat he would never have been able to try at home :thumbs:

Bid :bat:

my friends daughter went to broading school and she use to bring her back in the week but it caused too much confusion so now she leaves her all week and collects her of a Friday. She misses her daughter very much but she knows her daughter is much happier the residential school are fantastic and contact her frequently.

You could always try it and see.

Your childs happiness is the most important thing. He has already shown he is very happy by the number of meltdowns he has.

Good luck with what ever you decide

Jen

My daughter school (DD8) is residentia/dayl mon-fri. And this term she has had the opputunity to spend one night a week there. She LOVES it!!

It sounds like he is quite happy there so I think that mnaybe you should give it a try. I've been thinking boarding for my 7 year old and i've been to look at 2 bothof them have told me that the children are allowed to take personalise their rooms and take things in with them if they like so perhaps he could take in some of his trains.

I too think my son would love boarding, he loves to be around other children all the time and being out of education atthe mo all he wants to do is play with the kids in our street which isn't practicle due to his social skills.

Give it a go and see how it goes.