lorryw

grey or dye?

Ive just had a very much needed trip to the hairdresser. I hate going, I think its all that forced small talk and sitting looking in that horrible mirror smiling sweetly while you hope and pray you dont look worse than when you arrived.

Anyway, I know my hair is greying but I was shocked at how grey it looked when cut. Ive coloured my hair now and again over the years with semi permanents but now I think its time for the real thing. Or do I just let my hair go grey and live with it. Im a bit scared that I may chose the wrong colour (went too dark once and husband asked if I was starting a new career selling pegs) and regret it.

Thought ladies please (and gents)

Lorainexx

I have my coloured every 6weeks, can't live without it.....!! Go for it, ask a hairdresser what they suggest, they do say that you should go lighter the older you get, hence i go blonde :lol:

It's strange this post has come up now because i have just highlighted my dd hair and had some left over and put it on hubby, he is a skin head with a little bit of growth... i did say about 10mins ago that i was time to take it off but germany are playing someone and he wont leave the telly... I said he is gonna look like slim shady.... :lol: How funny!!!!

Edited by justamom

my hair started going grey when I was 18, my dads when he was 15!!

so yea i do dye it, only to its natural colour though and I guess once there is more grey than borwn I'll give up on dying it as it doesnt really cover all that well!

Hi,

I'm 33 an mine's just started greying at the front. I have dyed it and i think i always will! I don't want to be old :crying: !!!!!

Loulou x

I don't have any :D:P

Where's that 'SMUG' emoticon?? :lol::lol:

Oh - and before any smart alec goes there I have PLENTY of hair - just a complete lack of grey (though these days my beard gets a bit salt and pepper, so i s'pose it's only a matter of time before it creeps up higher :( )

Still THIRTY FIVE ( ;):o ) and no grey hairs... am I garjuss or wot?? :thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

Filthy garjuss, BD, of course!! (isn't that right Annie, Kathryn and Mrs P??) :lol::lol::devil:;)

Loraine, you could go for a semi-permanent base colour, with a few foil highlights through the top to really lift the whole look. :clap: It's not too expensive either... :thumbs:

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

I started dyeing mine a few years ago but it's when you go grey further down you start to worry. There ain't nowt you can do to dye that area and believe me it don't half piggin hurt when you pluck em :tearful::whistle:

I do... but that's Garjuss too!! (and no grey - Dorian or otherwise!)

I don't come here to be insulted (nya da da da da da da-a-aaaa)...

L8rs, t8rs

BD :D:D:P

I dyed my hair for years. White hair runs right through our family and on my Mum it looks good, she has been white since she was 19 years old, but I got the salt and pepper :( I tried several colours most of which I liked but was told to stop dyeing my hair when my thyroid started acting up.I was told that your thyroid gland is like a sieve and that it collects chemicals and that may have induced my goitre :tearful: I have now been dye free for almost 18 months and I HATE it. Having this salt and pepper hair is far more depressing than being fat :crying:

Oracle

Had to start dying my because A doesn't recognise faces and was getting really upset at my rapidly changing hair colour because it made it difficult for him to recognise me. Now he moans because he hates the smell of the hair dye :(

I must admit that although it was A's recognition problems that made me start dying my hair, I prefer it now it's not got a mallen streak at the front.

Guest flutter

well........................................

in the covering of the grey I have been brown, reddish brown, purple, purple lol

i have to say i was close to going to salon to have mine done, but then got bit peed off with it all and have it cut to a grade 3 ( didnt tell hubs what grade was in cutters lol)

so i am grey and short !!! :dance::dance:

Still THIRTY FIVE ( ;):o ) and no grey hairs... am I garjuss or wot?? :thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

I'll leave the last word on this to Oscar Wilde:

"Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. "

Simon

Defo dye youre haire.I think it looks realy ageing when someone is streaked with grey and although its kinda sexist it does look worse on women.men are distinguished women look like old bags whove let themselves go kinda thing which isnt faire but how were portrayed.

Im 37 and although im not grey yet i still shove a dye through my haire just to liven it up a bit.I cant ever imagine a time when i think sod it im letting everything go to seed.

I dye my hair the same brown that's my natural colour and I guess I always will. It may be the reason why people always think that I'm 10 years younger :D:D . I would hate to have grey hair and people think that I'm my son's granny! :ph34r:

- although I'm just 2 years older than BD :D:D

Curra ;)

Youre spot on curra.I think once you take the decision to go grey youre just a slippery slope away from elasticated jeans with high waistes :crying: tan tights and god forbid those god awfull fleeces with big manly collers and plastic zips.

Guest flutter

ta paula :dance::dance:

u have not a hope of seeing me in any of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

Ive been going grey since i was 14. Am salt and pepper now. Hate the hair dresser. Have not been to one in years. Last time i went to one came home in a bad mood. Hubby toke one look at me, and interp my look. He goes they didn't cut it short enough for you did they?

Come on, guys...you're not being very tactful to those people who are grey through health problems or by choice, are you!! :shame::shame:

Boho :dance:

I didn't dye mine because I'm going grey (although I am :( ) but to keep me out of the classroom so I went vivid purple :P

It worked for a while but now I'm so used to it I forget what it was like to be respectable :rolleyes:

Zemanski

I've got 6 grey hairs. I have foil highlights put in to hide them. I have very dark hair but like others on here I've decided to go lighter as I go grey because not only does your hair change but your skin fades too. I always think people who dye their hair too dark when they get older look a bit Goth. Not that there's anything wrong with being goth but it's not for me :D

Lauren

My hair has gone from a light strawberry blond to mid brown after having "I" so for the first time ever I coloured my hair with a semi perm, a few weeks ago! The effect was subtle (no one noticed :( ) but I knew I'd done it and nothing dreadful happened so I might try a permanent too. We can swap the OMG photos after :D

Anna x

My husband started to go grey at 23 hes never bothered dyeing it but men can get away with it cant they.

I have seen some women who look fantastic with realy white grey haire cut into brill sytleys but i hate the fuzzy old folks perm effect on grey haire or the long dark haire look streaked with grey strands its so Trampish as me daughter would say.

I've got more grey hair than my mum :o:o Must of been the life I've lead :lol::lol: She doesn't dye hers, but I do. Well, I have it highlighted regularly, so you can still see the grey, but it's camoflaged :lol::lol::lol: I do love grey hair on fella's though.....my dh is going grey now and looks lurvly.....better than when he had jet black hair......and he grew a beard recently on hols, which was VERY grey....yum yum. I think some women really suit grey hair aswell, Anna Raeburn looks fantastic :D Its such a personal choice isn't it.

I have a friend who's been grey since her twenties but has the most gorgeous steely grey, lush, thick shiny mane and it looks fab.

I've been pretty lucky with the old genes and mine hasn't gone very grey yet - just a few strands. It's just as well really because I'm that lazy that I couldn't possibly be bothered to dye it - I even cut it myself.

Barefoot

I have grey hairs but they mixed in wiht my lightening locks- hair was quite dark previously. Cannot be bothered to do anything about it - it takes up too much time. Hate hairdressers as find conversation a strain. Am afraid I am one of those frumps with a scruffy fleece for almost all occasions- there's no point in doing anything about my looks!!

Yoyo

I've had grey hairs since I was 16 so I've dyed it ever since, at the moment its black with pink/red underneath & at the front.... it was blue a few weeks ago :) I've always asked M if he minds mam having daft coloured hair but he thinks its great for two reasons, 1 is that it means I'm different like him :D & 2 is that I'm easy for him to spot when he comes out of school :lol::lol:

Com has a tail down the back (never been cut, used to sit and hold it in the hairdressers so they couldn't get near it) and dyes the spiky top.

We asked in Y7 and the senco said,'that would be nice' - much to our surprise, we had sort of hoped they'd say no!

first he went neon pink - school's only reaction was 'well at least we can't lose him now'

must have been a right sight for sore eyes when I picked him up - me bright purple and him pink!

he sticks to a sort of red bronze colour now

Zemanski