Sign in to follow this  
Emum

Hot weather - safety tip

We've just had a bit of an emergency with E who managed to open her bedroom window because the weather was hot, and then got her head stuck in the gap! We have fitted window locks which means the windows only open a few inches because her bedroom is on the third storey and we were worried she might climb out of the window, but we didn't think they opened wide enough to get her head through. Unfortunately we were only half right - wide enough to get her head out, but not back in again!

Hubbie wasn't back from work, but fortunately some neighbours, whom I didn't know, spotted what had happened and saw I was having really difficulties freeing her, and between four of us, we managed to manoeuvre her head back in. Window now shut firmly, and after a restorative packet of crisps and a cuddle she is tucked up back in bed. Thank goodness for lovely neighbours. Until they arrived I was contemplating calling the Fire Brigade!

I wanted to flag it in case anyone else either thinks their child doesn't know how to open the bedroom window, or has locks fixed in a similar way. This really hot weather is a real incentive to work out how the windows open so please make sure your child can't either fall out or get stuck!

OMG thats sounds like a right ordeal for you!!! I would have panicked and then laughed i know i said laughed because i laugh when nervous people think i am strange laughing in serious situations but cant help it....

Glad things are ok and you have nice neighbours who where home to help out and not watching the football

Grief hope she is ok now.We have to keep the windows shut and locked because we moved home at xmas and our old windows locked on vents but these window are open or shut.We spoke to OT and basicly it is up to us to fit new windows money we just don't have so we all have to fry for now but better safe then sorry.

Lisa x

Oh heck, what an ordeal!! Poor thing, glad she's ok... you never know until it happens! Better than her falling out the window though !!

When I was little I got my head stuck through some railway bridge railings. The fire brigade did have to cut me out.... then as soon as I was free my mum slapped me for doing something so silly... like I did it on purpose :huh: ... double wammy. :o:lol:

Lauren

OMG - M managed to do this when she was 2 when I had put her to bed - although she managed to push herself all the way through - depite window locks that only opened a couple on inches - and fall into the front garden - luckily our house is on a hill it was only a 6 foot drop

She had bruises around her head that showed where she had been stuck.

The first I knew was when she came up and rang the front doorbell - and she was very pleased with herself!

Edited by puffin

:blink: Crikey, I now know why I keep any windows they can even get to locked when they are in the house.

My friends nephew manage a 15ft drop from her upstairs window, he did fracture his skull but is ok now, I check mine all the time after that.

oh ours are like that too, think a lesson is needed and quick lol >:D<<'> . glad yr daughter got out unscathed.