Sign in to follow this  
Lynne 1967

New User to Online Forum

Well you look like you are doing ok to me! You've obviously found out how to do a new post. Have a browse through the other topics. If you want to reply, you just click reply & away you go. Most things work on the single click / double click basis, it's pretty intuitive if you're used to PC's / Microsoft type packages.

Usually people start on the "general discussions" cos there's a sticky on there where you can introduce yourself.

A couple of points to bear in mind -

1) Please be aware that some of the posts may get a little risque from time to time but we do have junior members so please keep that in mind.

2) Avoid writing posts all in CAPS as that is taken as shouting & percieved as rude.

3) Obviously treat this place like you would a conversation with a group of friends & don't single any one person out to have a go at.

4) Have fun! This is a great place for advice, laughs or shoulders to cry on.

hi lynne -

Not much to add to Jill's post really, except if you run into problems with any specific task, post a 'help' thread in 'techie corner' and someone'll give you a walkthrough.

Given your first successful post, you've got a 'voice' now - everything else will just be icing!

Hope you like it here, and see you around

L&P

BD :D

I did not know that writing all in capitals was classed as shouting. What other things like that are you not supposed to do? Anything else we should know about? (in case I do something to unintentionally offend someone)

Hi Westie,

Only one important rule really - a regular delivery of wine and chocolate to the moderating team is compulsory. :devil::devil:;)

Seriously, don't worry too much about causing offence, as long as views are politely expressed there's not likely to be a problem. People will usually say if the've been offended and generally I think we're able to resolve disagreements pretty well. :)

Lynne, welcome to the forum, I hope you'll soon feel at home here. Any questions, just ask. There's always someone who can help.

Kathryn :)

THIS SHOUTING THING...

I'M A BIT WORRIED ABOUT THAT...

DOES IT COUNT IF YOU'RE A BOOK CHARACTER?

VERY VERY BEST (AND NO INSULT INTENDED)

OWEN MEANY :D>:D<<'>

MY FAVOURITE BOOK !!

wonder if this is why my kids shout so much ;)

I didn't know about the capital letter thing either, is there anything else we supposed to just 'know' ?

I got ticked off on another forum for not making an introduction, and told "it's bad forum etiquette"

I DIDN'T KNOW, THAT'S MY EXCUSE.

WAC

THIS SHOUTING THING...

I'M A BIT WORRIED ABOUT THAT...

DOES IT COUNT IF YOU'RE A BOOK CHARACTER?

VERY VERY BEST (AND NO INSULT INTENDED)

OWEN MEANY :D>:D<<'>

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love this book too. :)

K x

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love this book too. :)

K x

OH WOW! i'VE JUST COME ACROSS THIS THREAD. I LOVE 'A PRAYER OWEN MEANY' TOO!! :wub::wub: IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE FUNNIEST, SADDEST, CLEVEREST BOOKS IVE EVER READ! AND IT WOULDNT BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE CAPITALS.

SV

Sorry we've hijacked your thread Lynne, but this book deserves to be talked about !

I've read almost all of John Irving's books and this is by far my favourite, it's BLOOMING GREAT !

a close second is 'A Widow for One Year'

Sorry again, I need to go find a reading club/forum :rolleyes:

wac

Waccoe,

Got to agree A widow for a year is close second. I just discovered John Irving about a year ago though I'd seen the film 'garp' years ago. I got his most recent book lately but its huge so I'm saving it for the summer holidays.

Oh dear I think this thread is well and truely hi jacked - sorry :rolleyes:

SV

Hi everybody,

I've started a new thread here in Off Topic where we can all discuss John Irving, novels, etc. to our heart's content. Please post any further book - related comments in the new thread.

Kathryn