hev

he wants a webcam

steve keeps going on to me about getting a webcam,im a bit nervous about it in case someone dodgy is on the other end but then im thinking is that me being paranoid,have your kids got one?a lot of the time i think maybe i worry so much about steven,i stop him being able to do things other teenagers do,what do you think?

Ultimately your decision hun - but i wouldn't - i'd be terrified who he'd 'talk' to.......... :unsure:

But then, i am a really grumpy mum, poor child's been begging for a TV in his room - i keep telling him, 'Never gunna' happen young man!!' :shame: ... :devil::P:lol:

Hev

My 14 year daughter chats to her mates on msm and loads of them have web cams she hasnt got one not because ive owt against it but just because ive not got round to getting her one.

If yer son wants one then why not hey , let him have some normality if youre owt like me i bet yer put so many restrictions on him through our own fear about what might happen.My As son as yer know is 12 and he has a games console and a tv in his room just like any other pre teen lad.If youre worried then why not only let him have the cam on when youre around.If say he starts to get up to something dodgey on the cam yer can always confenscate it then.

If hes told he cant hell whinge and kick of even more coz hell want it let him have it and i bet hell soon get bored of the novalty of it all.Lot less agro all round.

But then im a very very soft touch even me daughters mates know im a soft touch.We were all young once though thats me motto.

Hope yer well Hev.

Edited by Paula

Personal I'd say no but that's just me.I think it is terrible to say but in this day and age there are too many people out there waiting to take advantage but maybe I too strict!!!

Lisa x

Just coz youve got a web cam though dont mean you have to invite someone to view it or visa versa view someone elses.

Its what kids like to do now a days yea theres some perverts out there but preventing him from haveing a web cam aint gonna make it all go away.

But like i say im very very easy going me i let my daughter who granted is Nt and 14 do what she wants i tend to find they dont wanna do it then when they realise you aint gonna kick of coz they aint got owt to rebel against.

Guest flutter

i have web cam and have for a while.

if u can supervise then tis oks i think, my dd does use it to chat to my friends

but my puter is in living area and all can see

they can only be seen by those who they let and can only see others they let also?

i find the things they put on their msn blogs far more scary and the photos they have on profiles,

C x

We've got two webcams, one for each computer, the kids (aged between 10 and 16) use them when they're talking to their friends on msn. They're fairly private as far as I can tell and I think there has to be some kind of invitation to view IYSWIM

I hated the webcams at first because they look like some kind of evil looking bird staring at you in your PJ's but my eldest (who is a native digital generation unlike myself) ensures me they're OK and that:

"yes mother they do switch off when the computer's not on and no mother they can't see you in your pyjamas unless you walk by real close."

However - we don't have the computers in the bedroom so they are monitored as to what they access on the web. I won't even let them have TVs in the bedrooms as they create isolation issues.

We have a web cam but kieeran doesnt use msn but if he did i dont know whether id let him use it or not.I dont want him to have a microphone for his xbox live ,as ive heard him when he loses on games and i wouldnt want the rest of the world listening to his fowl mouth outbursts and he d end up getting banned from xbox live as they have a strict policy of fowl language etc.Only you can decide that one,but i will add my 17 yr old ds uses to talk to most of the people he knows on msn,but the good thing is at least you can see who you are talking to on the webcam as in just typing anyone could be on the end.

lynn

Just coz youve got a web cam though dont mean you have to invite someone to view it or visa versa view someone elses.

Its what kids like to do now a days yea theres some perverts out there but preventing him from haveing a web cam aint gonna make it all go away.

But like i say im very very easy going me i let my daughter who granted is Nt and 14 do what she wants i tend to find they dont wanna do it then when they realise you aint gonna kick of coz they aint got owt to rebel against.

My kids use the webcam all the time, while talking to friends on msn but dont use if for anything else other than msn

I think it would depend on age and if I could monitor it. DS is almost 9 so at the moment the answer would be no. If he was a bit older I would let him use one to chat to known friends and only under supervision.

Joanne xxx

It really depends on your son. I wouldn't buy one and he's not allowed to go to chat rooms either unless I'm around. The main reason is that M thinks it's very funny to insult people, make rude and silly noises, and he has been already kicked out of a chat room for posting annoying messages. He has used MSN sometimes but other kids give up soon because of M's replies. He is 12 , but he doesn't know how to interact appropriately with his age group, or even younger :(

Curra