Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

Giving a Talk on Diet & Nutrition

I've been invited by a speech therapist to talk about diet & nutrition to her Early-Bird type group. I don't want to overload people with information. Can you help me out with the type of questions you'd want answers to?

:thumbs:

I regularly give talks. Depends on how long I've got but when I first started I struggled to fit in too much information :blink: so now I have a set format, with just some real basics.

Visuals usually works best so I usually take a couple of drinks with colourings and additives, and talk about just one or two of the ingredients such as aspartame. I also take a couple of examples of toiletries with the nasties in, and how the colourings and additives are absorbed through the skin, think of how a nicotine patch works etc. How just by reading the labels, changing some brands, or removing some of the worst ingredients it can alleviate the pressure on the nervous system and reduce chemical stress, and often has a good effect on sleep patterns or reducing hyperactivity.

I usually do a bit on milk, and explain a bit about leaky gut, and about cravings/addiction for milk/wheat.

I have a picture showing how the body might look without the skin, showing all the veins, arteries and nervous system, to give a visual of where all the nasties might finish up if its ingested or absorbed, or leaks through without being digested properly.

Also the importance of a balanced diet, but that if a child will only eat a restricted diet that isn't balanced that there are strategies to help. Each child being individual, its like peeling the layers of an onion, etc.

This format usually draws lots of questions.

Good luck, are we looking at this being your new career? :lol:

Guest flutter

well i know nothing about the gf and other bit free diet for asd ( see!!)

so i would want basic reasons why it should be tried with the results it can give?

how bout a quiz on addatives and stuff like that too ? and then u have got peeps?

i got parents at my work like that with the little drinks they buy for kids with bout 15 addatives in then,

teach but let them see it too?

ooh yes and

good luck, bet u be brill

C x

Hi Jaded,

You could also let them know how little ( if any ) natural fruit is in things like McD's 'banana' milkshake etc and they are actually just a chemical cocktail !!

I would definitely try and discuss aspartame as I know most people look upon this as a healthy option because it reduces sugar intake and I have been horrified by effects of it.

Good luck - I'd come along if I could, you've always given great info here. :notworthy:

Wish i could come to one of your talks Sue1957 and call me jaded sounds very interesting and i too know nothing about it, maybe you could video yourselfs and post a link???? Just an idea!!!