Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Just had the most traumatic experience

The boys who moved in up the road who are home educated, have 4 dogs. Well today they all escaped and one of them savaged my elderly cat. :(

They have two scottish terriers and my cat can't run. He had an accident years ago and broke his back and had to have his tail removed. He is 18 years old and very disabled.

This dog saw him and ran for him. Smudge couldn't get away so he stood his ground, the dog grabbed him by the throat and started trying to shake him but smudge must have been scratching him so he dragged him across the drive by his neck.

By this time I was screaming hysterically and the whole street came out. I hit the dog who ran off and so did smudge but the dog chased smudge and grabbed him again so Dodobird dived straight into the middle and picked smudge up and ran indoors.

Smudge was very shaken up but seems to be recovering. He has no physical signs of injury but he hasn't "spoken" . He is a very vocal cat and usually never stops meowing but he hasn't said a word. He has been purring though and eating so he should be ok.

I think this cat is made of strong stuff, he has been through so much. He was a rescue cat who had been thrown out of a window several times by a little girl. Then he had his accident when he was about 4 and now this. I thought he would have had a heart attack but no he's still going strong.

Edited by Viper

How awful for you to witness >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Hope he carries on recovering ok >:D<<'> I always panic slightly when I see a dog off its lead,because you just don't know the temprement of the dog, and whilst most will be friendly family pets, others can react unpredictably.

Well my cat seems fine but the dog has been taken to the vets. It was limping and holding up one leg so I am waiting for them to get back and see how it is. My cat is "well ard" :lol:

:( thats horrible

my dog doesnt like cats either, he chases them any chance he gets & i dread what would happen if he actually caught one. He was from a rescue too so i havent been able to change his mind on them.

So far he's had more injuries from cats than the other way round, But i'd be devastated if he did hurt someones cat :(

We had a cocker spanial once. Everyone told us they were bred to be a hunting dog, but you couldn't meet a softer dog, and we assumed she couldn't hurt a thing. Our neighbours kept rabbits in their garden, and once while they were on holiday, someone put another rabbit in with theirs and the result was vast numbers of baby bunnies. The neighbours didn't seem to know what to do with them all and they decided to burrow, beneath our two gardens, and unbeknown to me they all ended up in our garden. I let our cocker out into the garden and she became like a dog possessed. She tore them to bits :(:(:( I was running around after her, nearly 9 mths pregnant with our ds, screaming and hysterical. One escaped. She was coughing up fluffy bunny hair for days :( Its was truly horrific. :(

oh thats really awful >:D<<'> Viper hope your all o.k.............and I hope your cat never has the misfortune to meet this dog again.Sadly I,ve heard some really sad stories about cats.........my friend at schools cat was killed by another cat........they heard the noise in the night and saw them fighting but their cat died. :(

The outcome from all this is that the dog has severe scratching under his arm and has had antibiotics and pain killing injections and a course of both for the next week. It cost the owner ?70.

Poor Smudge seems unhurt but he is in a bit of shock and won't go back out.

Dodobird said that when she picked Smudge up he was weeing himself with fear. :tearful:

The owner bought me a huge bunch of flowers and the cat some treats. It turns out that both our husbands are train drivers and she used to go out with a friend of my husbands. Small world.

Viper,

Your poor cat. :( I'm glad he gave as good as he got. :ninja:

It might be good to get your vet to check him over, just to check there's no lasting trauma or hidden injuries.

K x

The problem with the vets is whenever we take him they say he should be put down. He is so old and crippled but he is happy and as long as he is eating and still purrs with contentment I don't think he should die. If a vet saw him after this I think it would be another thing they could use to say he should die. Smudge leads a happy life and still enjoys his time here, I will know when the time is right. If he can fight off a dog and come out better off then there can't be any reason to have him put down. I just hate having to stand and justify my reasons to a vet. IYKWIM.

I see your point about the vet.

Our cat is about 15 and virtually blind and I feel the same way. She falls over things and jumps over obstacles that aren't there and yesterday she put her foot in a mug of tea (luckily not hot :lol: ). But she's still in good health, climbs trees and even tries to hunt. At the moment she's still very contented despite her disability. :wub:

K x

Glad your cat has survived.A vet told me that cats are well hard compared to dogs.Mine jumped over a wall to get home-with a fractured pelvis.He's fine now,too.xx

My smudge is none the worse for his experience physically. Mentally he is less willing to go outside and when he does he is very wary.

The dog is better too but not allowed out for walks for a week. (where's the snigger emocion?) :whistle:

How awful, your poor cat!! :o Glad he's better now. Cats have nine lives! :thumbs: I used to have a crippled cat too who had been run over . She was a really lovely moggie, I imagine Smudge like her. I'm also sorry for the dog, but it serves him right. I hope he learned his lesson . :devil:

Curra

Hi Viper,

Only just read this thread - hope Smudge is feeling better - we had a cat who lived until they were 18 too - and she too found walking difficult as she got older but she seemed very content and happy - it's a long time to have an animal and they are like one of the family - it took me a long time to get over her not being here - hope you are all ok too.

Take care,

Jb