Sign in to follow this  
justamom

Medication for sleep

Keegan is not sleeping very well at the moment, I have a good relationship with the GP but we have never discussed sleep problems. Keegan has usually got other "more important" issues like his arthritis and bowel disease that its really been over looked....

I spoke to the Gp about it and he did not quite understand the complexities of the problem, he said we should try a night light, no background noise i.e. telly etc - calm surroundings - been there tried it all.

How many times did you have go back to GP or consultants for sleep problems???? before anyone prescripted medication to you?? He is moody from no sleep and it's affecting us all

A's Consultant prescribed Melatonin the first time that I asked her. I sheepishly told her that a friend had given me some to try him with and that it helped, but wasn't a miracle cure and she told me that she would be happy to prescribe, but that I was being too cautious in the dosage and he needed more and a combination of slow release and normal melatonin.

You could try taking a couple of articles along with you to the doctor which explain about sleep disturbances in autism, my GP tells me that he knows virtually nothing about ASDs, it wasn't part of his training and he usually has to refer onwards or seek advice himself, and he's only young. I think also because melatonin isn't licensed for use by children GP's may need a Consultant to prescribe it intially.

Some useful sites, which also contain suggestions that might help before you try the medication route:-

Sleep disturbances and autism

Melatonin the sleep master

Keep kids healthy (This site also warns about the lack of real knowledge of melatonin and potential side effects)

We got our from the Ped' more or less the first time we complained about sleep but didn't use it untill we had tried all other options first.

Kind regards

Lisa x

my dd now aged 11 had years and years of sleep problems before anyone offered us help.

We constantly had the advice, warm milk, calm time, bath time.

SHe finally got Melatonin 1 yr ago and the difference was immediately noticeable, she copes a little better and she actually now enjoys going to her bed.

our HA has now stopped prescribing it for 'new' children though they are honouring existing prescriptions, I think it depends where you live as to how easy it is to get!

Anne