Sign in to follow this  
lotty

is he?

My nearley 2 year old is displaying a few behaviours and i was wondering if it sounds like autism to you as he is quite similar to my 9 year old. only briefly ill explain, when he walks or runs he will never look ahead only at his shadow or something to the side of him self, he spends a lot of time only looking from the corners of his eyes. he only plays with the washing machine or watches the same film again and again and again etc. he copies everything you say everything, and when he walks everytime he walks he does this very animated walk like the eldest does. and his favourite foods are butter, wax crayons and oil of olay and soil. do you think he should see the health visitor.

To be honest it is hard to say one way or the other given how young he is.

As Zemanski says, if he is Autistic it is better to get him in the system sooner rather than later, so a word with the doctor would be the right way to go./

Go and look at a copy of the CHAT online (Childhood Autism Test I think it stands for). It's designed for toddlers of approximately 18 months old so it should give you some idea. If he seems to be showing signs then maybe a visit to your gp to start off might be best.

At such a young age I think the key thing to look out for is a lack of what's known as joint attention. This includes pointing at something then looking at you to see if you've noticed it, checking your reaction to something, showing you something just out of interest and if he's saying any words are any of them said to another person? Eg does he say "mummy" to you or ask for something. Does he point at something and go "uh?" or "what's that?" or look at you questioningly?

Com did all those things except he couldn't follow a pointing finger due to visual perceptual difficulties - I'd go anyway if you have concerns, the waiting list is long enough as it is