Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Favourite home cooked meal

I was wondering what you all cook. Do you use ready meals? Packet/jars sauce mixes? Pizzas, ready made pies etc.

I recently started cooking real food with real ingredients, herbs and spices, oils and vinegars. My kids (with the exception of Ben) love it, they eat far more and it works out cheaper.

So whats your favourite home cooked meal?

Ours is Chicken and broccoli with pasta in white wine sauce. So far but I am still experimenting.

Guest flutter

i try and cook all our meals from scratch

i make pizzza, pasta sauce, chicken in sauces, pies, soups, ice cream puddings

i make bread and cakes too

but all food is bad just now :(:( i think i have gallstones, so cant give u a favourite

C x

I go thru phases Viper. I may go out and buy cookery books (usually from ebay or charity shops) and start cooking from them, then become bored, and go back to packets/jars. I think its because I find the whole time from the kids getting home from school to going to bed so stressful, that standing in kitchen cooking for ages makes me slightly deranged :ph34r: I prefer home cooked food, yet don't get any enjoyment from doing it and i think thats the key isn't it, to actually ENJOY doing it :rolleyes: I also tried making things in the day, to pop in the oven later, but kept thinking of other things I could be doing....think I'm a lost cause with the whole home cooked fare....yet all the females in our family are fantastic cooks, who really love it....dh wants to know what went wrong with me....missing the gene :P

Hi there

My Hubby loves one of my meals that I made up. Its chicken pieces, leek, chopped bacon, cheese sauce, garlic and morsorella cheese on top. I serve it with sliced pototoes in their jacket cooked in the oven in olive oil and garlic. Just wondering whether to do it tonight buts its too hot.

I have been reading about cornflakes on the forum and couldn't work out if they are good for AS children or not, if they are I have a fab easy receipe that my kiddies love.

Its chicken breasts cut into three stripes lengthways , beaten egg and crushed cornflakes, I crush mine in the food processor. Then dip the chicken into the egg and then the cornflakes and put in the oven for around twenty mins turning half way. so easy and no additives.

One of my kids lives of fish fingers and chips and Heinz spaghetti and sausages. He is under the feeding clinic at the hospital and I would give anything for him to tuck into a "normal" meal.

The other son tucks into lots of good stuff - meat, fish, dairy, fruit, veg - all the good stuff. One of his favourites is chicken stew (fresh chicken, chopped into bite size pieces, a pack of Tesco Value Seasonal Veg (79p), a tin of chopped tomatoes and a stock cube, plus about 2 cups water). All in a pan, bring to boil, simmer for about 1 hour and thats it, served with rice or potatoes. Hubby eats it. Son eats it. He will also eat this with lamb or pork.

Does anyone have a really simple (and inexpensive) recipe for Moussaka? Thinking about it, I would be interested in some simple and economical recipes for home cooked dinners like lasagne, lancashire hotpot or irish stew or fish pie.

I too am going back to basic home cooking and ditching the processed stuff. I was considering getting a breadmaker and making my own bread ? Anyone done this ? dont really know where to start with it. I just suspect that processed foods, especially ones with trans fats and highly processed stuff have a lot to answer for.

It would be great to have a section/thread for recipes, easy peasy ones wouldn't it? Not got one for moussaka I'm afraid, no one in our house, apart from me, would eat it. :( Daisydot thanks for the chicken stew recipe, will def try that one .

Edited by Bagpuss

I made Ben a G/F D/F summer pudding on monday using Dietary Specials multigrain loaf (ping for a few seconds to soften up before you try to line the bowl!) and frozen fruit on offer from tesco's.. served with df custard he gave it a TEN!!!! First thing ever to get 10, and he later back pedalled it to nine when he realised there was nowhere left to go :lol::lol::lol:

His other favourites are curries ( :D:D:D ) and chicken brick chicken...

L&P

BD :D

One of my kids lives of fish fingers and chips and Heinz spaghetti and sausages. He is under the feeding clinic at the hospital and I would give anything for him to tuck into a "normal" meal.

The other son tucks into lots of good stuff - meat, fish, dairy, fruit, veg - all the good stuff. One of his favourites is chicken stew (fresh chicken, chopped into bite size pieces, a pack of Tesco Value Seasonal Veg (79p), a tin of chopped tomatoes and a stock cube, plus about 2 cups water). All in a pan, bring to boil, simmer for about 1 hour and thats it, served with rice or potatoes. Hubby eats it. Son eats it. He will also eat this with lamb or pork.

Does anyone have a really simple (and inexpensive) recipe for Moussaka? Thinking about it, I would be interested in some simple and economical recipes for home cooked dinners like lasagne, lancashire hotpot or irish stew or fish pie.

I too am going back to basic home cooking and ditching the processed stuff. I was considering getting a breadmaker and making my own bread ? Anyone done this ? dont really know where to start with it. I just suspect that processed foods, especially ones with trans fats and highly processed stuff have a lot to answer for.

Daisydot

There's a forum on a site I use when I'm looking for bargains at xmas or want an online discount code - called www.moneysavingexpert.com - they have a forum on there under Home, Work & Play - called 'Moneysaving Old Style' - a girl I work with uses it all the time for loads of different recipe tips (and mentioned bread making only the other week on there).

Good luck,

Jb

Hi Viper and Hi all (first timer tonite!)

I have problems with DS 7 yrs(mild ASD/Aspergers) and vegetables. The best thing I ever invested in, a blender!

Make a mean tomato based sauce which you can use for lots of dishes, but ultimately contains at least three vegetables. Very simple - tinned tomatoes, 1 large onion, mushrooms, either red or green pepper (if you want something a bit sweeter try yellow or orange peppers), garlic (optional), handful of fresh basil and seasoning and the real kick two large dessert spoons of sundried tomatoe paste. Whiz up in blender and pour on :- Chicken fillet, pasta or homemade burgers, you can also use basis for spag bol or lasagne. Takes the time to chop and whiz!

DS is very lazy when it comes to chewing so if it's already sloshed up he's happy plus I have control on veg intake and how much salt he has.

Another suggestion - grate carrot into spag bol using the sauce.

Recipe thread would be great I've got loads, including G/F, to share with you all.

Justine

I'd love to cook everything from scratch and avoid additives, but I'm recovering from ME and feel tired a lot.

I try to compromise by using a combination. For example, I use a lot of prepared sauces from jars, but combine them with fresh meat and vegetables. If I make a sauce, I tend to use some prepared veg. I often prepare a large dish and leave portions in the freezer. It's as easy as re-heating a ready meal, but without all the rubbish that's in a shop-bought ready meal.

When I make a bolognese sauce, I use half a jarred sauce and half passata. I don't like the pips in tomatoes, but you could always use tinned (or fresh) tomatoes. It works out cheaper and the taste is still really good. I bag up any spare and freeze it until I make another bolognese.

My top tip is Frozen chopped onion. When I first saw it I thought it was the height of laziness, but I came to realise how useful it is & now we eat onions with everything!

I hate cooking!! :o

Which is really sad, as I used to really enjoy it, but I have to cook everything from scratch and usually 2 or 3 separate meals as my two youngest have severe multiple food allergies :(

All the fiddle and worry about anaphylaxis has just completely turned me off cooking now!

Boho :crying:

And if you think I'm making a fuss ask a certain person about the effect of his gravy!! :o:ph34r:

Edited by bid

I go through phases. Like bid, but for different reasons, I have to cook 3 different meals almost every time and it's completely put me off cooking. William only has about 3 different meals that he will eat, and none of them are to the taste of the other two. Luke is hooked on eating fish and expects some kind of fish at every meal and Susie can't stand fish. It's an absolute pain in the butt. The only thing they will ALL eat is bolognese so I tend to make that quite regularly to avoid the 3 different meals scenario as often as possible.

Other than that, I make the best home made curry in the West, even if I do say so myself :ph34r:

Lauren

Other than that, I make the best home made curry in the West, even if I do say so myself :ph34r:

Lauren

Ooooooooohhhhh - Lucky you specified 'West': There could have been a punch up! :P:P

Ooooooooohhhhh - Lucky you specified 'West': There could have been a punch up! :P:P

You do know I meant Western hemisphere don't you???? :P And specified 'home made' as I couldn't possibly compete with the some of our restuarant/take away establishments B)

I too end up making three different meals every night. Ben only eats pasta, rice or bread and his only veg is cucumber. Never eats meat but will eat nuts and sunflower seeds. DD 1 is a veggie. I end up making something with meat (hubby insists on meat in every meal) and in a separate pan I try to make a veggie version of the meat dish making sure not to cross contaminate with utensils. :wacko:

Cooking isn't easy these days is it. When I was a kid we all got the same and were greatful for it, well we pretended to be or we got a clip round the ear. :fight: Oh god now I sound like my dad. :unsure:

I love cooking - hubbs and the kids especially love my homemade lasagne (except Martin but he doesn't like tomato)

My fav meal however has to be takeaway pizza ...........mmmmmmmmmmmm pizza :eat:

My youngest (6) requests 'dead fish with bones' every time I ask him what he'd like for dinner :wacko:

Eldest won't even enter kitchen when I am cooking fish and refuses to eat it, that's when I go into my 'this is not a restaurant....' speech and she makes herself a sandwich :rolleyes:

favourite meal that everyone likes is chicken salad, I chop up chicken pieces and shallow fry in oil,garlic,soy sauce and worcester sauce, and serve it with salad that they then pick of out the bits they don't like ;)

or ham, new potatoes and peas, they even come back on time from playing out if I tell em this is for dinner :devil:

wac