mrs phasmid

recipes

today some links- not the sausage type :lol:

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/beans/shepherds.shtml - all sorts of veggie alternatives

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_basics.htm - all sorts of baking and a good old fashioned site with lots of tips for disasters, pastry etc. obviously you don't have to use bero flour

www.route79.com - it has loads of authentic indian recipes on it.

www.farmaroundnorth.co.uk - loads of recipes and find out if they deliver fresh farm food boxes in your area - not in mine poo

i know i've cheated today but its just too damn hot here

:wub:>:D<<'>

Edited by mrs phasmid

something quick and easy, but different

tortilla bake - makes enough for 6

take the recipe for tex mex pasta omitting the pasta/ or use your normal home made chilli mix - also works well with a bolognese mix - like a cheats canelloni

6 flour tortillas - try herby ones or sundried tomato ones- available in most supermarkets

basic white sauce with dried mixed herbs added

8oz mozerrella cheese grated

preheat oven to gas 6

make the meat mix as described in texmex recipe. put a line of mix in the centre of a tortilla and fold left/right and then roll bottom to top to make a parcel, place in oven proof dish. repeat with other 5 tortillas. when all folded and in dish cover with basic white sauce and then sprinkle with cheese. put in oven for approx 25mins until cheese is brown and bubbly. serve with a green salad or chunky bread and salsa.

this is what we had for tea tonight yum :thumbs:

today and apparently all next week is supposed to be hot so heres some cold puddings to tickle your fancies :whistle:

1. blackberry and apple fool

1lb blackberries

1lb cooking apples

2tbsp honey

1/4 pint double cream

simmer apples and blackberries until soft. sieve and sweeten with honey, leave to cool. when cold whip cream to about the same consitancy as puree or just a little thicker and fold into puree leaving a marbled effect. serve in tall wine glasses for effect

2. raw fruit puree - use a blender for this

2oz dried apricots - no soak variety

2oz raisins

4 dessert apples - quartered and sliced

1/2 juice fresh lemon

1/2 cup water

to serve

1 tbsp ground nuts - optional

1 tbsp dess. coconut

double cream or yoghurt- depending on how sinful you feel

put all fruit , water and lemon juice into a blender and blend until smooth - please not runny just smooth- pour into small bowls ,top with a spoonful of yog or cream, sprinkle with nuts and coconut,

3. chocolate mousse - just for littlenemo

please this contains partially raw eggs only make if sure of produce and not recommended for young or elderly

4oz plain chocolate - at least 75% please

4 eggs seperated

1/2 oz butter

1tsp hot water

1tbsp brandy

to decorate

glace cherries

small carton double cream

melt chocolate over a pan of water, whist doing this seperate agges and cut butter into small pieces. remove pan from heat keeping the bowl on top. beat egg yolks and then add to chocolate a spoonful at a time beating well after each spoonful until mix is soft and creamy. add butter oe at a time, beating well after each piece. add hot water and brandy beat again and leave to cool[all of your aggression should now be beaten out of you :whistle: ]whilst cooling beat egg whites until stiff peaks. using a METAL spoon fold egg whites into cold mix. carry on folding until all egg white has disappeared. pour into tall glasses and decorate with cream and cherries.

4. orange cream cheesecake

loose bottomed 8 inch flan case

4oz digestive biscuits

2oz butter-melted

sealable bag

filling

21/2 oz sugar

3floz concentrated orange juice - try the frozen ones

10 oz cream cheese

to decorate

finely grated orange rind

put biscuits in bag and crush with a rolling pin. add to melted butter and press into a flan case. stir sugar and juice together until dissolved, mix in cream cheese a little at a time until completely incorperated.pour over base and level and smooth the top. put in fridge to set. when ready to serve place flan case on an upturned jar and the outer ring will fall away and you can slide cheesecake onto a flat plate[yes you can, you know you can]. decorate and serve

ENJOY

something for the kids today lets get them cooking and having fun - these are all easy enough for the kids to have a go at with - of course- your supervision

1. weetabix cake

4 crushed weetabix

4oz caster sugar

4oz self raising flour

2 tbsp cocoa powder

pkt chocolate drops (i use a 25p 100g tescos own milk chocolate chopped up)

4oz melted marge

1 egg

preheat oven to gas 6

mix all dry ingredients together then add wet ingredients and mix togethe well and put in a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes

I put this mix into a square tin which measures 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I suppose you could use anything a similar size it would just turn out a bit more or less deeper. I also line the tray with greaseproof paper to save any sticking. Once out the oven let it stand for about 5 minutes then turn out the tray and cut into squares.

2.Impossible Coconut Pie

While baking the ingredients will do the seemingly impossible and change from a sloppy mess and will separate into 3 layers - a crisp base, a creamy custard centre and a chewy coconut topping.

? tsp vanilla extract

4 eggs

? pt milk

2 oz soft butter

3 oz plain flour

4 oz desiccated coconut

6oz caster sugar

? tsp baking powder

? tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Grease a 9 inch round baking tin (ideally with loose bottom)

Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat or whisk all ingredients until everything is really well combined.

Pour into tin.

Bake in oven for 50 minutes or until the top is puffed up and a crunchy golden brown.

Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating (during this time the pie will deflate slightly).

Serve warm or cold.

(thanks to my sis for this one :wub: )

3. Yoghurt Cake

1/4 pt vegetable oil

1/4 pt natural yoghurt

1/2 tsp vanilla essence

6 oz soft brown sugar

3 eggs

8 oz self-raising flour

1 oz cocoa powder

1 tsp sodium bicarbonate

1/2tsp salt

Filling

1/4 pt double cream

1/4 pt natural yoghurt

8 oz fresh strawberries

preheat oven Gas mark 5

Place oil, yoghurt, essence, sugar & eggs in a bowl. Whisk together for 2-3 mins. Sieve in flour, cocoa, sodium bicarbonate & salt beat for 1 min. Pour mixture into 2 sandwich tins & level. Bake for 20-25 mins until tops springs back when pressed. Turn out onto rack & leave to cool. Mix together yoghurt & cream & use to cover one sponge. Place halved strawberies on top then place remaning sponge on top. (or you could use any filling that you like)

OR

1 carton yoghurt

1 1/2 cartons sugar

1 carton vegetable oil

1 carton self raising flour

3 eggs

Mix all ingredients together really well. pour into lined cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

The yoghurt tub is an easy way to measure for this cake. what ever size or tub you use is the standard for ALL the ingredients. If using a large tub, you may need to add an extra egg.

4. For the easiest cake ever, this takes some beating.

8 ozs SR flour

4 ozs sugar (I use granulated)

12 ozs mixed fruit

2 eggs

4 ozs butter/marg

6fl oz of milk

preheat oven gas 5

Melt marg + sugar in saucepan. Add rest of ingrdients and give a good stir. pour into a loaf tin and wayhay :dance:

I sometimes let the dried fruit soak in the melted marg and sugar to plump up a bit.

5.Banana Bread

(great for using up those over ripe bananas)

3 very ripe bananas (almost walking)

6oz melted butter

1 teaspoon bicarb of soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water

6 oz caster sugar

1 egg

9 - 10 oz plain flour

preheat oven gas 4

Smash bananas (food processor is great for this recipe). Add remaining ingredients, mix together. Pour into 2 greased or paper lined 1lb loaf tins or 1 lined 2lb tin.

Bake for 45 minutes. Will also make as muffins. Freezes well and is lovely sliced, toasted & dripping with melted butter.

6. Fridge Cake

8oz digestive bisuits

3oz marg

1 tblsp golden syrup

1 bar chocolate

2dsp sugar

1 dsp cocoa powder

1. Smash biscuits into crumbs Melt marg, sugar, cocoa and sugar in pan. When melted add the biscuit crumbs and mix well.Spread mixture into a small baking tin. Melt chocolate and spread over mixture.

Chill in fridge for 1 hour, when set cut into squares.

7.rice krispie mallows - i know this goes against the grain a little but it's fun and reasonably safe for kids to do

4 oz block margerine or butter (soft marge doesn't set well)

4oz marshmallows

4oz toffees

7 oz Rice Krispies

In a big jug , melt the marge, marshmallows and toffees in the microwave, stir well

Add the Krispies, mix well, press into a lined tin, press down. chill to set, then take out of the fridge (too damp) cut into bars, store in a tin

ENJOY

SORRY PHAS I DID IT AGAIN :oops::wallbash:

Edited by phasmid

some of you have mentioned having breadmakers so i thought i would do a few recipes for you. if you haven't got a breadmaker, think about it, it's no cheaper than buying a good standard loaf, but, you haven't got things like preservatives [ which is why they can make bread last a week] and you can spice up recipes as you wish, and lets face it we all know how expensive 'different than standard' bread is . i am sure some of these will make the more experienced breadmakers amongst you feel i am perhaps 'teaching grandmother.....' but this is for the newbies as well

just a point . although never used it myself. i have been told that using water that you have cooked potatoes in can improve your bread, something to do with starch from potatoes in the water. tip given to me is to freeze the water and use it when necessary.

1.basic bread - Slightly over a pound and a half plain loaf.

460g flour

260g water

2 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp milk powder (optional) - it makes the bread whiter

2 tbsp oil or butter or lard - melted but cold

2 tsp salt

1 sachet (7g) active yeast

bung it all in and switch on. what could be simpler. for additions see below

1a. 2tbsp of dried onion and 1 tbsp rosemary

1b. 2tsp cinammon 3oz sultanas

1c.linseed, sesame, poppy, sunflower and pumpkin - the last two finely chopped

1d. chopped olives and oregano

these can all be added at start or if yours, like mine, has a little compartment that open half way through mixing[ and always starts my dogs barking because of the loud click] pop it in there

1e. 3oz any strong cheese - add this with other ingredients at start. good additions in cheese bread are:-

tsp cayenne pepper

tsp mixed herbs

4 chopped mui-cuit[sp?] tomatoes

5 medium thick slices salami diced

and, of course, 1/2 diced onion

2. malted oat loaf

350ml/12 fl oz water

30ml/2 tbsp sunflower oil

30ml/2 tbsp malt extract

60ml/4 tbsp milk powder

7.5ml/1.5 tsp salt

300g/11oz strong white bread flour

175g/6oz rolled oats

10ml/2tsp dried yeast

Bake on basic setting.

3 wholemeal bread - 1kilo loaf size

420ml water

2 tbsp melted marge

2tsp salt

2tbsp brown sugar

3 tbsp skim milk powder

700g wholemeal strong plain flour

1 sachet yeast

in mine i just bung it all in select the wheat programme[4] and start - you need to consult your own model to find the settings

GLUTEN FREE BREAD- when i trialed mine on a gluten free diet this was the only bread they would try- again mine has a gluten free/yeast free programme[3] yours may not. if you are thinking of buying one see if it has this function - these are out of my recipe book that came with my breadmaker and i have tried them both. gluten free bread should look like a thick cake mix rather than a stiff dough as you normally would see also anviroment factors can affect the consistancy eg if baking on a humid/rainy day you may have to reduce the water 10-20 mls, trial and error i'm afraid. gluten free bread is heavier and denser than other bread but quite rich in flavour. please also note as these recipes contain eggs do not use the delay setting at the begining or keep warm function at the end, g/f bread should be made each day or frozen and enough defrosted for 1 days use at a time- give it a go!

1. GLUTEN FREE RICE BREAD - select 1.25kg loaf size and dark crust

500mls warm water- i used 1/2 boiling and 1/2 cold mixed

3 large eggs

80mls veg oil

1tsp WHITE vinegar - never use malt brown or white

140g brown rice flour

280g white rice floour

120g cornflour

1tbsp xanthan gum

2tbsp sugar

1 sachet yeast

1/3 tsp salt

add all ingredients to breadmaker and start. check after 8-10 mins that all ingredients have mixed, if not pause and help it along by using a rubber spatula to mix in, restart.

2. G/F GRAIN BREAD - select 1kg loaf size and dark crust

500mls warm water- see above

3 medium eggs

125mls oil

1 tsp vinegar

70g brown rice flour

70g gram[chick pea] flour

280g white rice flour

3 tbsp of grain mix - a mix to your own taste i use sesame,poppy,chopped sunflower and linseed

1tbsp xanthan gum

2tbsp sugar

11/2 tsp salt

1 sachet yeast

add all ingredients and off you go. same as above after 8-10 mins

ENJOY

2. G/F GRAIN BREAD - select 1kg loaf size and dark crust

I baked this yesterday and it was fabulous - can't recommend it enough!

Karen

x

with no end to the heat in sight B) [apols to anyone north of the border, i love you really :P ] i thought i'd have a trawl through some of my old favourite salad recipes, as i know we are getting fed up with the lettuce, tomato, cucumber routine. so here we go, all sorts easy to a little harder, not much though cos otherwise it wouldn't be in my recipe folders :rolleyes:

1. COLESLAW

white cabbage

onion

finely shred both and mix with either french dressing [ oil, vinegar, mustard into a plastic cup with lid, shake well til thick, you have to experiment to get a consistancy you like] or mayonaise

you can also add

chopped celery

grated carrot

sultanas

chopped walnuts

either all at once with a pinch of mild curry powder [only use mayo with this tho, like a veggie coronation chicken] or in any combo you like

2. ROSY BEETROOT

1 medium cooked beetroot- diced

2 stalks celery- finely sliced into 1/2 moons

2. dessert apples- diced

4 tablespoon french dressing [see above]

mix all ingredients together in a bowl until a beautiful rosy pink colour

3. COTTAGE CHEESE SALAD

1 hard red apple - diced and tossed in 1tsp lemon juice

8oz plain cottage cheese

1 tbs

raisins

1oz chopped walnuts

snipped chives- fresh only or omit and use 1/4 small onion

lettuce leaves -little gem is ideal for this

combine all ingredients together in a bowl, lay out lettuce leaves like little dishes and pile cheese mix on top [i did this long before Jamie O]

4. CRUNCHY SALAD

1 medium red pepper -finely sliced

2 stalks of celery- finely sliced into 1/2 moons

2 crisp apples -halved decored and finely sliced

all the above should be about the same thickness

sliced almonds[optional]

lettuce leaves- nice crunchy ones iceberg or romaine perhaps

dressing

as french dressing PLUS a tsp runny honey

mix all ingredients in a bowl with the dressing EXCEPT lettuce leaves. line a plate with the lettuce leaves and

pile mix on top

5. COLD STUFFED TOMATOES - a meal in itself

4 large beefsteak tomatoes

1 tin sardines in oil

2 hard boiled eggs

2oz softened butter

1 tsp mustard

1tsp chopped parsley

cut tops of tomatoes to make a lid, put to one side. remove pulp from inside leavig a shell. drain sardines,remove tails and backbones and mash. remove yolks from eggs and mix into softened butter, add mustard,parsley, sardines and chopped egg white fill into tomato shells and replace lids.

6. LAYER SALAD- something to make when you want to look good :whistle:

4oz shredded white cabbage

6oz grated carrot

3oz chopped peanuts [ very optional]

4oz chopped celery

2 chopped red apples

30z chopped dates- dried not sticky xmas left overs

4oz cooked brown rice

1oz sesame seeds[ again optional]

1 box mustard and cress

garnish

2 sliced boiled eggs

2 sliced tomatoes

layer all ingredients one at a time into a nice glass bowl. cover with alternate slices of tomato and egg. stand back and wait for the ooohs and aaahs

ENJOY

3. chocolate mousse - just for littlenemo

I've only just noticed this :oops:

Thank you Mrs. Phas :notworthy:

Just one problem - I'm weirder than you could imagine - I don't like chocolate! :sick:

On the up side however, since an encounter with a jazz musician in the co-op I do have a thing about moooooses :whistle:

Got any good blueberry recipes? Everyone should eat 1/4 pound of blueberries a day to fend off their free radicals, build up their white blood cells and generally feel spiffy! :notworthy:

nemo

I've only just noticed this :oops:

Thank you Mrs. Phas :notworthy:

Just one problem - I'm weirder than you could imagine - I don't like chocolate! :sick:

On the up side however, since an encounter with a jazz musician in the co-op I do have a thing about moooooses :whistle:

Got any good blueberry recipes? Everyone should eat 1/4 pound of blueberries a day to fend off their free radicals, build up their white blood cells and generally feel spiffy! :notworthy:

nemo

i love blueberries and so do the rest of the phas' have you tried growing your own there are several varieties available that are reliable croppers. i am going to try it next year as i am fed up paying the inflated prices demanded since they were 'discovered' anyhow

SMOOTHIES- i apologise but these are all out of my american smoothies book. i have a set of cups, if you dont any cup will do but use the same one for all the ingredients, i really recommend you get a set of cups tho i bought yet another set today and they were only ?2.50 they make recipe gathering so much easier as you dont have to worry about conversions :dance:

1. BLACK BEAUTY

1 cup low fat plain yoghurt- use a bio if you can

1/2 cup grape juice - no that doesnt mean wine :lol:

11/2 cup blueberries- you can use frozen

1 cup blackberries- you can use frozen

ice cubes to each optimum consistancy-trial and error i'm afraid-DO NOT USE ice cubes if using frozen fruit

blend all ingredients in a smoothie maker or blender and drink- you can sieve if you want to remove seeds

2. BERRY BERRY GOOD

11/2 cups raspberry yoghurt

3/4 cup passion fruit sorbet

1cup raspberries -you can use frozen

1cup blueberries -you can use frozen

ice cubes as above

blend and drink

not that i would ever condone it :whistle: but the above two are rather nice with a shot of something clear and russian added for the grown ups :rolleyes:

3. MAPLE BLUE

1cup blueberry yoghurt

1/4 cup semi skimmed milk

1tbs maple syrup

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 cups blueberries- you can use frozen

ice cubes as above

---------------------------------------------------------

4. A VARIATION ON ETON MESS - use however small or large amount you need

whipped double cream

toasted oats - dry roast in a hot fry pan until just 'toasty' colour, do not leave you don't want to burn your oats do you

mini merangues - lightly crushed, not to dust

blueberries

gently mix all ingredients together and pile into tall glasses- you can add a drop of scottish into mix if you like

5. use the treasure muffin recipe i posted on page one

6. BEST OF ALL

eat them as they are

ENJOY

Edited by mrs phasmid

i love blueberries and so do the rest of the phas' have you tried growing your own there are several varieties available that are reliable croppers. i am going to try it next year as i am fed up paying the inflated prices demanded since they were 'discovered' anyhow

Z has bought me 5 blueberry plants over the years. They start off tiny, but are full of fruit and double in size each year if you keep them well watered and in a very peaty (acid) soil. The perfect start to the day is going out to pick bluberries and strawberries to put on your cereal.

Dot and i spent this morning picking wild ones on Ilkley Moor (yes, we had our hats on :P ) for freezing. Sunday morning routine in the winter - blueberry pancakes and maple syrup - heaven :D

we'll try the recipes :clap: and let you know... :notworthy:

enjoy

Ah...Ilkley Moor.

A couple of years ago we were up there on holiday...I couldn't resist the temptation, being a yorkshire lad, so we phoned my mum and at the tops of our voices - and much to the bewilderment of our friends from france holidaying with us - gave her the best rendition of 'On Ilkley Moor Ba'tat' we could manage.

Well I never, phas is a yorkshire lad !

Were you made to sing this song in music lessons like we were ? Silly teacher tried to tell us that ba'tat was by a river called 'tat' :wacko:

Thanks for the GF bread mix, mrs phas, will have a go now I'm not having to get the 'right' bread for packed lunches :dance:

wac

You'll laugh at this waccoe I was made to learn it at school by a real old-fashioned headmaster who hailed from Yorkshire too. But I was at least 200 odd miles fom the nearest bit of Yorkshire at the time!

Ba' tat a river...he he. Ever tried to explain it to an out an out foriegner? Don't! Explaining cricket would be easier...

Guest flutter

i got one blueberry bush but gonna order mores, cos lovely as they are i cant fill one muffin, neva mind the usual 12 :lol:

just spent another couple of hours in 'Tatdale' :lol: What with the sun and occasional torrential downpour, this is the best season for years! :clap: There are acres of the things with big fat berries all over.

enjoy

nemo :jester: (the blueberry fool)

And while we're on the subject...

Blueberry Fool

From Family Fun Magazine June 2005

1 pint fresh blueberries

2 tablespoons water

1/2 cup sugar

1 pint whipping cream

1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

6-8 servings

1. First , wash the blueberries and remove any over ripe or under ripe ones.

2. Place the berries in a medium saucepan and stir in water and suger.

3. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the berries are soft and have released their juices.

4. Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool.

5. Pour whipping cream into a bowl and beat until soft peaks form.

6. Mix in vanilla extract.

7. Pour cooled berries over the whipped cream and mix in carefully.

8. Put into the fridge for at least 2 hours, then spoon into serving dishes.

Preparation time: 20 mins

Chilling time: 2 hours

Eating time: 20 seconds

Here's a recipe for a type of fool I've never heard of before - must be some kind of colonial perversion!

BLUEBERRY FOOL

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 cup sour cream

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups fresh or frozen Blueberries, rinsed, drained and floured

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until batter is smooth after each addition. Stir in sour cream. Stir in flour, bicarb, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in Blueberries. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan.

In another bowl mix brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter in the baking pan. Spread remaining batter over the top. Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan and cut into squares to serve. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.

Makes 12 ample squares.

enjoy

Nemo, stop...

:(

you'll make me 'Tyke-sick'...

:o

You know that strange sickness that hits all yorks born folks who live away from 'home' suffer from every so often

:huh:

...the need to return!

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

I know exactly what you mean.

I was born in the States but suffer so badly from Tyke-sickness that I've moved back here 6 times!

Any time you need a break, we're only a PM away...

Mrs. P

We've discovered a new (very american sounding) flavour - smoked bilberries, 'cold smoked over traditional peat fires' as they would say.

As we would say "By 'eck, t'moor's on fire!" :o:crying::ph34r:

A huge cloud of smoke hundreds of feet high, getting bigger by the hour.

I just hope it doesn't get to the picking fields before we do :pray::pray::pray:

nemo

Mrs. P

We've discovered a new (very american sounding) flavour - smoked bilberries, 'cold smoked over traditional peat fires' as they would say.

As we would say "By 'eck, t'moor's on fire!" :o:crying::ph34r:

A huge cloud of smoke hundreds of feet high, getting bigger by the hour.

I just hope it doesn't get to the picking fields before we do :pray::pray::pray:

nemo

oh no! pray for rain! i may be a weedy southerner but when we went the other year [1st time north of watford gap] i spent loads of time phtoing the moors to paint later. lets hope they get it under control soon

Night Skies over London

1 oz London gin

? oz sloe gin

1 oz port

1 tsp lime juice

Lemonade or tonic water

Pour all the ingredients apart from the lemonade or tonic water into a highball glass and stir gently. Add a few ice cubes and top up with lemonade or tonic water.

now i know these aren't food recipes, but, i've been trialling these over the last few days and they seem to work really well and only cost pennies to make. i tried these out on mum in law also who has severe skin reactions to anything except fairy and asthma so can't use conventional sprays and she has had no reaction at all yet. so i thought i'd share with you all, as i know many of you also have skin and allergy problem problems IYKWIM. i'm not saying these are a solution or cure, obviously, just that i thougt they may help. thanks to www.MoneySavingExpert.com for the recipes in the first place

Fabric conditioner

2 parts vinegar;

2 parts bicarb of soda;

4 parts water

a couple of drops of your favourite essential oil (I use lavender and chamomile).

Mix the vinegar and bicarb over this sink because it will fizz up, I put it back in my empty lenor- type bottle and use the lid to measure out the 'parts'.

Laundry Gloop

A large tub capable of holding about 4 litres and with a good fitting lid (or a few smaller tubs)

a 5 litre stock pot (for ease of use) or any old pan.

1 bar unscented white soap - something like Simple or a supermarket own brand sensitive soap

1 cup (250mls) washing soda crystals - usually on the cleaning not the laundry aisle of the shops

4 litres water

About 20 drops of a suitable essential oil. I use lavender and chamomile but any oils safe for children will be fine

Put the water in the pot and bring to the boil. Grate the soap and once the water has boiled, put it in and turn the heat down. Stir until all the soap has dissolved. Take off the heat and add the soda crystals stirring until these have dissolved. Ignore until it is cool enough to safely handle then decant into your tub(s) Add essential oils.

Put the gloop directly into THE BOTTOM OF THE DRUM BEFORE PUTTING WASHING IN not the drawer. If it's hard - chop it into small pieces first so that it melts easier, although mine has stayed as a gel but that might be the weather.

I use about a teacup for each load

Air freshener

Use 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 cups of water. After it stops foaming, mix well, add a few drops of essential oil [i used orange] and use in a spray bottle into the air.

Shower Gloop [ for you]

1 bar unscented soap (grated or finely chopped)

60mls glycerine

5 litres (at least) water

20 drops essential oil (depending on who it is for and what they like...)

Put everything in the stock pot, bring it to the boil and simmer until the soap dissolves. Leave until it is cool enough to safely handle, add whatever essential oils you decide on and decant into suitable containers.

This can be a bit thick but if you put it in the shower with you to warm the bottle up (or stand it in a mug of hot water) it is okay.

Fly spray

Take a large lemon with a thick rind and slice thinly. Place in a bowl with a few sprigs of rosemary and cover both in boiling water. Allow to steep overnight and strain the mixture the following morning into a spray bottle and shake before applying.

also these make great science experiments to keep the kids busy :lol:

HOPE YOU TRY THEM AND THEY HELP

Night Skies over London

1 oz London gin

? oz sloe gin

1 oz port

1 tsp lime juice

Lemonade or tonic water

Pour all the ingredients apart from the lemonade or tonic water into a highball glass and stir gently. Add a few ice cubes and top up with lemonade or tonic water.

canopus, i love sloe gin and sometimes make my own. is this called night skies over london because that's all you see after a couple? :lol:

Sloe gin?

That gives me an idea... :devil:

Blueberries in general have been identified as one of the so-called "power foods." They are touted by nutritionists and physicians as "absolute powerhouses in the world of health-promoting foods." Studies indicate a blueberry-rich diet slowed deficits in brain function, motor performance and memory in older laboratory animals.

Wild blueberries have been found to be especially rich in anthocyanins, antioxidants found in their intense blue pigment that help neutralize the damaging effect of free radicals to the body's cells and tissues.

They are also sweeter and more intensely flavoured than their farm-grown cousins. And they keep their shape and colour better in baking and freezing.

But even the virtuous can eat only so much homemade jam and so many muffins. Here's a recipe for blueberry gin, which uses either wild or cultivated blueberries - a fitting way to toast your good health. It's from Smoothies and Other Blended Drinks by Elsa Petersen-Schepelern (Ryland Peters and Small, 2004).

Place 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries in a large glass bottle. Add 6 tablespoons (90 mL) sugar and one 750 mL bottle gin. Shake well and set aside for at least two weeks, or up to two months. Shake the bottle from time to time and watch the luxurious blue colour develop. When ready, serve straight in small liqueur glasses. Or place a shot of the blue gin in a blender with 1/2 cup (125 mL) crushed ice. Blend, then pour into tall glasses with a sprig of mint and tonic water to taste.

Now that should improve these summer holidays! :clap::devil:

And if i can work out a way to send it safely through the post, Mrs. P...

Nemo,

Please tell me that rhubarb and beetroot are also power foods I love them so much and always wondered what nutritional value they had.

Also POTATOES now they've got to be good for you!!

Mrs P,

Have you got any fat free rhubarb recipes apart from stewed rhubarb of course.

SV

did you know the best rhubarb in the world grows in the yorkshire rhubarb triangle?

Com does a great rhubarb and ginger parkin variation, must find that recipe :)

not exactly fat free mind :lol:

Z

A-ha...Mrs P has just found 2 recipes for Blueberry wine! 1 is a sweet red desert wine the other is a dry red wine. To go with them there are ones for beetroot and for rhubarb too. However unless your into this already it would be expensive to start due to the equipment involved... She'll post them tomorrow if anyone wants them.

Edited by phasmid

I found a couple of interesting recipes for blueberry mead, but I gave away all my wine-making stuff years ago unfortunately. And starting again would cost too much. :crying:

As a side note:

Mead (honey wine) takes a couple of years to ferment properly, so I made some when I was 28. I'm the only person I know who really looked forward to their 30th birthday. I wasn't getting old, I was just getting really enjoyably drunk - with a good excuse.

So what to do for my 50th?

Answers on a PM please... ;)

enjoy

nemo

Nemo,

Please tell me that rhubarb and beetroot are also power foods I love them so much and always wondered what nutritional value they had.

Also POTATOES now they've got to be good for you!!

Mrs P,

Have you got any fat free rhubarb recipes apart from stewed rhubarb of course.

SV

sorry i didn't post these earlier as promised but i've been in too much pain :crying:

don't know if any are fat free but there are some great looking recipes here

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html

ENJOY

and finally today beetroot recipes are here :dance:

http://www.oliver1.com and follow link on right hand side

or

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/roastbeetroot - follow link at bottom of recipes for lots more- now returns page not found sorry message, however go to left hand side scroll down to recipes, when selsect page comes up type in beetroot

or

http://www.earthshare.co.uk/Recipepage01 - soory error message comes up, click on main site link and follow instructions for beetroot link

i apologise all of these links worked direct when i clicked them on preview post, anyone any ideas what i did to muck it up?

ENJOY

Edited by phasmid