mrs phasmid

recipes

1 pack good quality beef/lamb mince

1 large onion

A few carrots

A few spuds

Cover with stock (I usually put a big spoonful of marmite in but anything will do)

You can bash it about a bit with a spud masher to get it more soupy.

If you can be *rsed (I never can) you can transfer it to a casserole & add a pastry lid, stick it in the oven for a bit.

Now Pearl, that's my sort of recipe :lol::thumbs::notworthy::notworthy:

Edited by Bagpuss

Ok, as BD says its not up to Betty Turpins standard & its not proper Lancashire hotpot even though I live in Lancs. But its easy which is all Im bothered about.

1 pack good quality beef/lamb mince

1 large onion

A few carrots

A few spuds

sachet bouquet garni, or a bay leaf

brown mince in your largest saucepan. If you keep an eye on it you shouldnt need oil.

add chopped onion, carrots & spuds & carry on cooking a few mins

Cover with stock (I usually put a big spoonful of marmite in but anything will do)

Add bouquet garni/bay leaf.

Simmer away for ages, minimum 1 hour but the longer the better.

Add more water if it looks like it needs it.

You can bash it about a bit with a spud masher to get it more soupy.

Remove bouquet garni/bayleaf.

I serve it up with red cabbage or pickled onions.

If you can be *rsed (I never can) you can transfer it to a casserole & add a pastry lid, stick it in the oven for a bit.

defo gonna do that pearl,thursday is going to be my hotpot day

:o:o:o:o

Lamb or BEEF????????????????

Betty is turning triple somersaults in her grave :o:o:o

Hev - it HAS TO BE neck of lamb - otherwise it's just a shepherds/cottage pie where they forgot to mash the spuds! :lol::lol::lol:

How can you suck the 'Marrameat' out of mince? :D

Just make sure you boil the neck-bones for a few minutes and skim the fat off, otherwise it's a very greasy affair!

We don't eat it often, but we also like to fling in a goodly pinch of chilli and instead of making hotpot bung in (GF/DF) dumplings for a cobbler... (cobbler? Cobbler!) aka SKELEBONE STEW/GRAVEYARD GHOULASH - goes down a treat on halloween!

Another simple recipe - WELSH RAREBIT.... That's a virgin from Cardiff ;)

L&P

Fred Gee :)

i did really well today,i went to visit the school for steve and i came back and nick said lets order a takeaway,i said no :o:o because i had left some chicken out to defrost and did a nice chicken,mash veg dinner,that is a biggie for me cos i would normally say yes to a takeaway,i reckon the secret is to plan the meals the day before,tomorrow i have pearl hotpot :thumbs::thumbs::notworthy::notworthy:

pearl can i use frozen carrots? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No - they will explode because of all the glycerine in them. You have to use fresh ones (scrubbed - not peeled), and they have to be cut at a precise 30o angle so they don't react to the pottassium in the potato. If you use lamb, make sure it's Welsh. English lamb 'turns' if it's cooked in the same pot as carrots and New Zealand lamb clashes with your tablecloth. Irish lamb is OK, but make sure it's quilted and strained over the back of a runcible spoon until the juices run yellow...

There's a lot more to this cooking lark than you thought, eh?

;)

No - they will explode because of all the glycerine in them. You have to use fresh ones (scrubbed - not peeled), and they have to be cut at a precise 30o angle so they don't react to the pottassium in the potato. If you use lamb, make sure it's Welsh. English lamb 'turns' if it's cooked in the same pot as carrots and New Zealand lamb clashes with your tablecloth. Irish lamb is OK, but make sure it's quilted and strained over the back of a runcible spoon until the juices run yellow...

There's a lot more to this cooking lark than you thought, eh?

;)

That's it - stuff the recipe stuff and all the cooking for myself (can't find the kitchen in my new hall anyway) - I'm joining in with being a proper student and going to the take-away. :lol::lol:

Ignore Baddad, he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy :lol:

Frozen veg fine Hev, often better than the stuff lurking for days in the cupboard, has more vitamins.

i ignore everything bighead says pearl :lol: im off in town to get some stock cubes for my pearl hotpot :thumbs: