onlycrazygal

how do i stop him hitting me....

hi all i have a bit of a problem with our bean at the moment, i feel this has crept up on me so to speak as hes always done it but not as much as in the past 6 months.....

he keeps hitting me over the head, hes bin diagnosed with asp/tourettes,odd, sensory probs and add.....i think its some kind of habit or compulsion, i tell him off each time but he do s it again 5 mins later as hes forgot what i said to him......hmmmmm he doesnt seem to do it in a nasty way its like hes on auto pilot.

would appreciate your thoughts on this.......thanks!!!

hugs,

paula

sounds like a way to share attention but obviously not one that should continue

could you try teaching him to stroke or tickle instead? He may just be confused about what sort of physical contact is OK to share with others

Zemanski

My son does implusive things like this, he needs constant reminders to please dont hit or stop doing that....

I think Keegan does it before he thinks, but its a good idea to try and teach him to tickle or stroke!!!

Edited by justamom

Not what you want to hear but my As son used to hit me over the head with a metal candel stick it was a nightmare.This was when he was younger.Now for me sins he gets me in a headlock and im given 3 punches to the ribs.Thge compromise is ive siad ill buy him a punch bag and boxing gloves for xmas so he can channel his agression into that and hopefully not me.Its As and puberty i guess.And as his mum i get all the agro. I do love him though and 90% of the time hes fine.

Might not work in certain situations but we have been told instead of saying no don't hit me ect... say something like hit this cusion or hit this pillow it simply isn't negative but is a way to change the direction of the way the child is thinking

Lisa

I ALSO HAV PROBLEMS WITH REECE HE HITS BITES KICKS AND SCRATCHES BUT AFTER DOSNT REALISEHES DONE IT. NOT SURE WAT TO DO SORRY!!!! JUST HANG IN THERE >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We are currently doing an aba program with our son - we have been told to ignore this sort of behaviour completely. You have to give no eye contact and no response at all when he does it.- but you have to be consistant. In my sons case he likes the reaction he gets when hitting etc. Of course your situation may be different to ours - but if you think it is a way of attention in anyway the extinction method could work for you. If he hits you very hard on the head perhaps a hard hat may needed to carry this out though!!!!!!!!!

Goodluck!!