Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Dyspraxia

I've been reading alot on the forum about children who have dyspraxia and had wondered what it was. Our EP says its clumsiness, and I've begun to wonder if our dd ( 5 ASD) has it. Can anyone tell me anymore about it as I only know the basics?

Our dd is so clumsy, she falls often, walks into things continually, her hands are very squidgy and she stuggles with holding pens etc, she finds catching balls difficult, anything fiddly like buttons and zips are a no go. I know these can be signs of dyspraxia, but is there anything else? Our dd also has muscular dystrophy, so many of these difficulties have been attributed to that dx, but some are not the norm of the type of muscular dystrophy she has.

Thanks. :D

Can't really help, we are in the same boat as our dd also has cerebral palsy which could explain some symptoms as could asd and her epilepsy! :lol: so many symptoms cross over different neurological conditions! I find myself convinced that she also has ADHD, Tourettes, Dispraxia etc :lol: hard work all this isn't it! ;)

Anna x

hello if you go into education click on no statment for luke and pinksapphire angel it say my web site you will find what you are looking for hope pinksapphire angel dont mind all the best jill

Hi,

I have very little knowledge of Dyspraxia - I thought it only affected motor co-ordination beyond the norm of clumsiness - I didn't realise it encompasses sensory issues, persistent language difficulties, limited responses to verbal instruction, problems with comprehension, limited concentration, adapting to school, literal use of language, inability to remember more than two or three instructions at once, inability to form relationships with other children, isolation within peer group, rejected by peers, children may prefer adult company, tendency to become easily distressed and emotional, sleeping difficulties, reporting physical symptoms, such as migraine, headaches and feeling sick.

This thread interested me as during my daughters assessment at CAHMS they said she had significant motor difficulties and scored on the 1st percentile of percentile norms, all the normal things that she can't do that I assumed was to do with AS.

Although nothing has been said or offered about this I just assumed it was all do to her ASD. However, when you read this every single line is my daughter - from the very first line through to the very last one - with the one exception of drawing.

Is this seperate to an ASD? - or do the two overlap - I am very confused as after reading this I'm seriously starting to think that maybe her diagnosis is wrong?

Jb

my little boy has dyspraxia second son unconfirmed yet. our second son is 5 and has clear coordination problems, cant dress himself, put coat,shoes on, struggles holding a pencil, cant even pull pants on when been to toilet. eats with his fingers as cant work knife and fork, complains of achy legs when walking more than a few yards. his body flaps when he walks, falls over at least 8 times a day even standing still. struggles with any activity that involves using both hands. difficulty walking down the stairs safetly, we have to help him down kerbs etc,as he will simply fall down. dyspaxic children tend to be covered in bruises as always knocking into things. hating pe in school is another thing as they stuggle to do pe and struggle to get changed.

he went for an assessment and apparently too young to be checked, as child of 5 wouldnt be expected to do all these things perfectly. she is going to retest at 6 and do sensory profile as he has massive sensory difficulties. the book "dyspraxia the hidden handicap "- is a good read.

Jb, I had same reaction when I checked out Annies link....WOW....alot of what I read could be viewed as ASD traits. I hadn't realised it covered such a wide area of difficulties. Very informative link, thanks Annie :D I'm going to have a chat with our dd's physio and pead and get their opinions.

Joshanddanfans, thanks for your reply and advice re book. Alot of what you have described with your son I see in my dd, although her gross motor skill difficulties are due to MD she has huge problems with fine motor skills, which are not MD related (her type). Her report even said "J is learning to walk around the classroom more carefully and is having less incidents of her walking into things!".

Nathans dyspraxia truly shows in his complete inability to organise and sequence.

Its like watching an animated coathanger trying to tackle space and time. :blink:

My son has dyspraxia, ASD and a language disorder.

Basically, its all those things you mentioned, plus visual perceptive difficulties, motor planning difficulties, poor laterality (knowing right from left) and not having an awareness of your own body (cant remember the tecky name for that) and being quite disorganised. Poor handwriting seems a problem particularly for our son.

You dont have to be on the Autistic spectrum. One of the mums at our school had a stroke when she was giving birth, and she was said to have dyspraxia as a result of the stroke. I also know several girls who are quite high ability and not SEN as far as I know who are dyspraxic.

Plenty of OT ( :lol::lol: in our LEA ), lots of exercise, and work on integrating the right and left hemispheres of the brain are what we were recommended.

Try the Dyspraxia Foundation for more information.

Best wishes

Daisydot

just looked this up - now pretty certain my son with AS has dyspraxia but does it need to be assessed and for what purpose?

quick edit - sorry the site does say how to get assessment, but my son will have to be the one who wants this, he told a researcher recently he has it so he probably has done his own research.

Edited by gladysmay

just looked this up - now pretty certain my son with AS has dyspraxia but does it need to be assessed and for what purpose?

quick edit - sorry the site does say how to get assessment, but my son will have to be the one who wants this, he told a researcher recently he has it so he probably has done his own research.

Is your son a teenager or adult ? It would be worth him getting an assessment if he feels he would benefit from help with things like planning everyday activities or organisation.There is a book on dyspraxia for adults with more details re difficulties and strategies to help.If I find the title I will post it later.Karen

The book is Living with Dyspraxia-A guide for adults with developmental dyspraxia.Author is Mary Colley.Published by JKP.Karen

I am 31 mother of 3 boys, i am dyspraxic. i cant feel my fingers properly and i am a nightmare in the kitchen. yesterday i was in a clothes shop, i was looking at dresses and suddunley for no reason the coat hanger and dress was tangled in my pony tail, and before i knew it the second coathanger and top had now also become entangled in my hair. those sorts of things happen so many times a day-once i ended up in A&E because i had been cooking and the kitchen knife got stuck in my head, i thought i was going to die. but it was ok..

Evening everyone... >:D<<'>

I was chatting to my son's friends mother earlier as he wants to play with him over the holidays. She said she had been fighting for help at least 6 yrs to get her son statemented but no luck. He has been in the SNRB for a year she mentioned about dyspraxia. He has problems getting dressed and handwriting/reading etc. Im not sure what else is wrong with him as only spoken twice but I like to help if I can. She has never had help for him such as DLA/Family fund she's not convinced she would get any help at all to be honest. Her son and mine are in the same class and she said she's hoping to sort a statement out in sept if they will do one. Can anyone give me any information so that I can help her if she can claim for him even without a statement. She doesn't see any other doctor's for him now she has done most things out of her own pocket. What can she do or who to see about help with DLA etc?.....My son was automatically statemented when he was 4 and now he's 10 so not sure what it's like when your fighting for support and dont get it. She hasn't a computer so any help will be great.

many thanks

Amanda >:D<<'> :D:D:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I don't want to start a new topic. I'm currently nursing a very sore foot because I walked straight into the door jamb this morning. I was so surprised when it happened because I felt I had ample room to manouevre but obviously didn't and my small toenail caught the full brunt of it. The pain was unreal. My body is covered in bruises where I get up and promptly fall over, walk into doors, and bang into the fridge door as I open it. I'm like a pinball in the kitchen with me walking into the door of the fridge, falling over on the mat, walking into chairs and colliding with the worktops. It's a nightmare.

I posted this on a Tourette forum, when a member asked what Dyspraxia was, I thought some examples might help...

Where others (i.e. non Dyspraxic) folk automatically coordinate themselves properly - i.e. washing dishes, writing, picking up objects, walking in the street - we (the Dyspraxic) sometimes have problems, where the signals coming from our brain get a little mangled on route. This results in us doing things that appear "clumsy".

For instance:

* Washing up - Intending to put a glass on the draining rack, I will miss and the glass somehow falls on the floor and shatters

* Writing - there is no control over handwriting, and what gets produced is illegible. Although I can sit and try to write neatly, I always fail

* Picking up objects - they often jump right out of my hand onto the floor(or if it is a glass of wine, the contents spill into the lap of the person sitting next to me)

* Walking in the street - will fall over, or bump into things/people. Where others take it for granted that their feet will take them where they intend, we cannot do this. Sometimes we will end up off the pavement, or twist our ankles for no apparent reason.

If I try to "force" myself to get it right, I can get really confused, and my brain is not able to function.

It is similar to Dyslexia, where the messages between the eyes and the brain get garbled - for us it is any message to/from the brain that is a target for our Dyspraxia.

When I played football (I was a goalie, and for some reason quite a good one), I used to end up in hospital at least once a year (broken arm/nose/ankles).

A word of warning, at the dinner table, sit opposite the person with Dyspraxia, and not next to him/her... Otherwise there is a high chance of getting a wet lap.