Sign in to follow this  
trance

Melatonin..our lil miracle????

Well we received our script for melatonin yesterday for ds 1 3mg.

We gave it at 7.40pm, then both kids went up at 8.10pm.

Well......usually we are up and down the stairs like yoyos, you know the scenario.

Last night , nothing....silence, OH crept upstairs at 8.45pm and both kids sparko!!!!

DS1 normally up till 10.30pm and ds2 plays up cause ds1 is awake.

Dare I hope this is working, I was nearly in tears as he has been asking for something to help him sleep for ages...

Fingers crossed for later.

xx

Yup it works for Ben and my DD AS too. My DD is 15 and the first time she took it she said it was the best sleep she has ever had in her life. :tearful:

The best part is Ben now wakes up in a much better mood, and dare I say, he has less meltdowns too. :ph34r:

My son has been taking it for a month and the change has been remarkable, only one incident of sleep walking, no more anxiety and stress and tears, no more hallucinations and nightmares, he wakes up refreshed and in a better mood, it,s been a real help to him :D .

my 2dd's )twins) have been on this for over a year and it still works for them we have great nights now no more 11-12 at night they are usually aseep by 9:15 the paeditrician was amazed it was still working after all this time.is there any lenght of time they can be on this without it having any affects on them? can they be on it long term? keep smilin luv karin :dance::dance::dance:

my 2dd's (twins) have been on this for over a year and it still works for them we have great nights now no more 11-12 at night they are usually aseep by 9:15 the paeditrician was amazed it was still working after all this time.is there any length of time they can be on this without it having any affects on them? can they be on it long term? keep smilin luv karin :dance::dance::dance:

our son has had it for 3 years now. We have to increase the dose when he is anxious and we do not give it to him in the holidays as it does not seem to be effective if we give it to him every night.

Jen

Louis has been on Melatonin (6mg) for a few months now. In the beginning it worked. Now it doesn't - his sleep is even worse. It doesn't help him feel tired as it used to, so we have him coming downstairs until we have gone to bed, and even then he is awake saying 'I'm not tired', 'I can't get to sleep', 'I want to go down'. We get him waking up 2/3 times a night shouting out 'I can't get to sleep', 'I'm not tired'.

Thank God we have an appointment with CAMHS on Friday (His concerta doesn't seem to be helping any more either :wallbash: )!

For melatonin to carry on working you definately need to have a break from it. I give it to Bill on every school night but not during holidays and weekends unless he's really stressed. My children are going away for 4 days with their dad tomorrow and I had to give it to him tonight for the first time in about 2 weeks, he's off to sleep with no problems.

I take melatonin too and if I take it for more than a week without a break it stops working.

Flo'

fiorelli - have you tried giving him days off the medication ? I find this helps hugely with my son

Yep, he usually gets a choice whether he takes melatonin or not. and it evens out at 50/50 for times he takes it and times he doesn't. I also know he didn't have any at all for the three weeks he was with his father at the beginning of the holidays. as for his concerta, he has been having that daily for the last 2 weeks (I usually wait until 9.30 to see what he is gonna be like that day (You will Definatel know by then if he is having a good or bad day) - Before that, he was taking his ritalin, but there were days where he wouldn't have any or would have a reduced amount.

Edited by fiorelli

flora i don't agree with you on that one if you take it for more than a week it stops working my 2dds ran out at easter an we forgot to get it for 3 nites it was back to same old routine of 11-12 bedtime then up at 5:00 son as they started it again it was sleep by 9:00 up at 7:00 they have been on it for over a year an i don;t see them coming off it till their teens keep smilin luv karin

flora i don't agree with you on that one if you take it for more than a week it stops working my 2dds ran out at easter an we forgot to get it for 3 nites it was back to same old routine of 11-12 bedtime then up at 5:00 son as they started it again it was sleep by 9:00 up at 7:00 they have been on it for over a year an i don;t see them coming off it till their teens keep smilin luv karin

Absolutely. Everyone has a different experience with different interventions; best to learn by your own experience.

Flo' :D

mmmm not sure about it here either! worked brilliantly for a week or so, then was waking during night but going off to sleep better on it. Then last monday she was given a new epilepsy drug so we didn't give her melatonin, she slept all through the night for 6 days but was harder to get off to sleep. So we gave her the melatonin and had another bad night! didn't give melatonin the next night and she slept through!!! No melatonin tonight so we will see :huh:

Pead did say on some epileptic children it can make sz's worse and we think sz's are waking her, also pead said if a sedative doesn't work it can have the opposite effect! :o

So the experiment (and hopefully quiet nights!) begins.

A x

One of my son's has been taking Melatonin for a couple of years. We have had to increase his dose when he has had periods of increased stress.

We find it works with regards to getting him off to sleep, but he is a very light sleeper, and unfortunately it dosen't keep him asleep!

Quite often we will hear him rouse, and he goes downstairs and turns the telly on in the middle of the night!

We wouldn't be without it though, as it gives us a break from him in the evening....everyone needs a bit of 'time out' now and again!!

My 3yr-old has been on melatonin for about 6 months now. He doesn't have it every single night but it has helped with his sleeping pattern. For us it was definitely a miracle. :dance:

My 13 year old ds has been taking it for 2 years. He takes it at 9.30 and at 10.00 he's tired enough to fall asleep. Without it he can talk all night! :lol: When he was younger he feel alseep after 1 am and had nighmares almost every night .

Curra

Hi Everyone

I am also really pleased with the effect that melatonin has on J.

On Monday, we took J to his second CAMHS appointment, and I mentioned to the doc that I have read about melatonin, and what did she think. Im pleased to tell you all that she was in agreement with me, that it would be an idea to prescribe it to J. (We have tried all sorts, you know what I mean, bath, bed time rituals, warm milk, fish oils, the list is endless :huh: )

And guess what, it seems to be working :thumbs::thumbs:

J is now, and the past two nights have been the best nights sleep he has EVER had ( His words and mine). On Monday he took it at 8pm and was asleep just after 8.30 and slept until 7.15am, didnt wake up once :clap::clap:

And last nite, he took it at 7.30pm, was asleep by 8. Unfortunately we were all woken in the nite by a horrendous thunderstorm, but J settled back to sleep really quickly and didnt wake until 7 this morning.

To say I am pleased is an understatement, :D

J says he feels much less stressed as well, and all this after just two doses. Long may it continue :thumbs:

Thanks to all of you on this site. I may not say much, but I have gleaned so much info from this site, its a godsend to me and my family. Thanks Guys :clap::clap:

love Sarah

:dance:

We've just had ours stopped 'as it isn't a long term solution'. Without any how's it going or any follow up what so ever, just a message via our usual consultant.

I'm more peeved with how it was done but we have gone melatonin free now and he is sleeping through but the time it's taking him to settle (and resultingly his 3yr old brother as they share a room) is getting longer and longer. Half 9 tonight even with our routine and lavender. Still bearable but I feel much better when he's having a good night sleep and of course a bit of me time is nice!

If it creeps up much further I think I may have to go back and beg, our consultant says she will argue our corner if need be. Ideally of course I don't want him on medication at all but you have to balance that with him getting a decent nights sleep and not being tired at school.

i live in dread of them taking el's melatonin away!!! she has been taking it for a year now and i dont see how we ever coped without it! she started on 3mg and it was great for several months and then lost its effect. so the paed put it up to 6mg and its been happy nights ever since! :thumbs:

saying that tho, el still wakes up in the night, not every night but several nights a week, and she still has awful nightmares, but its being able to watch a tv programme when she goes to bed, that keeps me sane and she feels better for it too. occasionally she has had a little break from it but she asks for it back cos she can really feel the difference.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting some melatonin for my son. Has anyone's child experienced any (negative) side effects from it? I was reading some info about melatonin and there was a longish list of possible side effects, such as a hangover type of feeling, grumpiness, etc.

Cheers,

Eva

I would have said no but this time (we've just got some back) I have noticed that G is grumpy in the mornings.

This is the most amazing med for us, usually Hayden i awake until 1:30am, now with this little white marvel he is sleep at 7:45pm!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it's like....CHRISTMAS every evening, we give it to him about 6:15pm - 6:30pm & then an hour & a half later....BLISS :thumbs: