Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Bill Bryson

I've always found reading to be difficult, well that's not entirely true as I used to read voraciously but from my late teens onwards I've hardly read a book. I can read newspapers, magazines, backs of cornflake packets, bus timetables you name it, just not books. Well, recently on a whim I bought a book from a local charity shop, brought it home and hey presto, found reading it an absolute pleasure. The book is Bill Bryson - Notes From A Small Island. It's not just informative but really funny too, sometimes I find myself laughing out loud. Yay! I'm reading again :dance::thumbs:

Jonathan, if you enjoyed that, then I highly reccomend you read 'McCarthy's Bar' by Pete McCarthy. I laughed all the way through reading it. The author died a couple of years ago :( . Very very funny book. He travels round Ireland looking for his roots (he grew up in England). IMO he's less waffly than Bill Bryson and much funnier.

Lauren :D

Hi Lauren >:D<<'>

I enjoy the waffle :lol: but I'll keep an eye out for Pete's book. He lived in Brighton didn't he? I saw him performing a routine in the mid 90's about his trips on mesculine, very funny :D

Hi Jonathan

I really loved Notes from a Small Island. You should also have a look at Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything - it's the most amazing book about science and natural history - incredibly readable and funny, I even nearly understood electrons!

There is a bit in Notes from a Small Island where he meets someone on a train with an obsessive interest, and Bill Bryson muses about Aspergers's Syndrome. It irritated me a bit, but I guess he's no more ignorant than most people.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

Elanor

Jonathan... another one by Bill Bryson is 'Mother Tongue'... about the history of the English language... very funny also.

Lauren

Bryson is The Man. My favourite for laughs is Down Under, the Aussie one. Very, very funny.

I have McCarthy's Bar kicking around here somewhere. You'd be welcome to borrow it if you like, Jonathan.

Karen

x

I've always found reading to be difficult, well that's not entirely true as I used to read voraciously but from my late teens onwards I've hardly read a book. I can read newspapers, magazines, backs of cornflake packets, bus timetables you name it, just not books. Well, recently on a whim I bought a book from a local charity shop, brought it home and hey presto, found reading it an absolute pleasure. The book is Bill Bryson - Notes From A Small Island. It's not just informative but really funny too, sometimes I find myself laughing out loud. Yay! I'm reading again :dance::thumbs:

Hi Jonathan

I noticed that Bill Byson is apprearing all over the country with his show, we are going to see him in Buxton, he might be worth seeing if he is near you

S*

Guest hallyscomet
Bryson is The Man. My favourite for laughs is Down Under, the Aussie one. Very, very funny.

I have McCarthy's Bar kicking around here somewhere. You'd be welcome to borrow it if you like, Jonathan.

Karen

x

Hi

I noticed this one 'Down Under' in the bookshop today, looked like a bit of a hoot, not to mention what a wonderful place 'Orstraylia' is :devil::lol:

H :notworthy::thumbs: