Sign in to follow this  
madme

DD5- School update

DD is in reception on a three year waiting list for asd assessment. Brother has adhd aspergers and dyspraxia. School report said that she had to try not to always be in control in class and let others have ago - fine I agree but no suggestions as to how that would be achieved. Had a meeting with head and senco and they are referring to their social communicatons expert - not sure what sort of expert - presumably either SALT or ed psch- for some reason we were taken aback that they were already referring. Thats good and we are relieved that they are not saying no probs when there clearly are. Got a bit wound up by their use of "mild" aspergers if she is diagnosed etc. What really gets to me is that they were saying how in the autumn term she was difficult in class because she would say " oh thats easy " and not be very subtle about other childrens inability to read- she started school having read through the Oxford Reading Tree at Nursery. We wondered why she never got achievement certificates etc - it appears that they felt she had to be made to find work challenging and experience failure! Apparently thats why she didnt get "pupil of the week". I accept that she needs help but this seems a perverse way of approaching it. I suppose at least they have referred

I have a son with aspergers traits-All I can say is aspergers does not = mild anything.If any expert suggested so I would be only to pleased to give them a few hors of practical experience with Ben on a bad day!!!! Different needs,different way of seeing things,very able in some areas,intelligent......all of these are fine.Sorry-ranting-at 8 oclock this morning mild was not the word that came to mind. :wacko::wacko: I think if you can get a referral to social communication expert at this stage when the wait for ASD assessment is 3 years then grab the chance.It is really good that the school appear to be taking action.Perhaps a little work needed on their positive reenforcement strategies. :wacko::wacko: Karen

Lorna Wing actually mentions in her book The Autistic Spectrum that it's often harder to deal with children with Asperger's or with 'able autism' because they are so aware of their differences. Sorry, can't remember the page number or the direct quote, but I definitely folded the page corner down!

I got really cross when DS1's teacher put 'Asperger's - mild' on his IEP. He may be very good at hiding his difficulties but it doesn't mean they have no effect - the pressure and stress he feels are enormous. Anyway, none of the dx reports say mild, so where does she get it from?! Talk about being undermined all the time.

'Mild' --grrr! My Bugbear of the Week, that word -- but that's because I had my (ex-teacher) mother on the phone, telling me that we made too much out of C's problems and that she'd had a child in her school who had 'proper autism'.

Bet the rest of the 5-yr-olds aren't subtle about other kids' abilities either!

'Mild' --grrr! My Bugbear of the Week, that word -- but that's because I had my (ex-teacher) mother on the phone, telling me that we made too much out of C's problems and that she'd had a child in her school who had 'proper autism'.

Bet the rest of the 5-yr-olds aren't subtle about other kids' abilities either!

Ah so what does Ben have? Half autism,nearly autism,a bit of autism. :blink::blink: Karen.I think the hot weather must be bringing out the worst in people .Karen

Madme it was a while before I realised you said you were on a 3year waiting list to get ASD assessment.This is a very long time.We waited about 3 months.I hope somone will post to say if a wait this long is common/acceptable perhaps we were very fortunate.Karen

yep three year wait. LEA love it im sure as no dx = no help. I just feel aggrieved that they feel the best way to stop her saying these things is to demoralise her. Perhaps after the meeting they will realise that while its not acceptable that she does need social skills training.

yep three year wait. LEA love it im sure as no dx = no help. I just feel aggrieved that they feel the best way to stop her saying these things is to demoralise her. Perhaps after the meeting they will realise that while its not acceptable that she does need social skills training.

This may put a cat among the pigeons.You don't need Dx to get help in school.It is in theory based on educational need not Dx.Dx may help but should not be most important factor.By the way just thought I would mention-it is not unusual for children in reception to be very unsubtle.Also some schools don't like bright children who are too advanced in reading-nothing to do with ASD.Some schools also have difficulties with children who voice their opinions-again nothing to do with ASD.Also it is not so unusual for children in reception to be a bit controlling.I am not saying don't take up the offer of refferal-but just have these comments in mind-especially if they are the only indicators of ASD that school/you have noted.Karen Sorry missed that brother has aspergers-you probably know far more than me. :D:D

Edited by Karen A

This may put a cat among the pigeons.You don't need Dx to get help in school.It is in theory based on educational need not Dx.Dx may help but should not be most important factor.

We were told that without a diagnosis we would get as much help as with a diagnosis and we faced a 2yr wait after the SALT had assessed our dd for a full diagnosis.

In the end we paid ?175 for a private assessment with a very good doc, and the assessment was shecduled within two weeks.... A lot of money if you don't have it but worth it if you have....

Unfortuantely it hasn't made any difference really to our dd's care, we still get no help and I have to fight tooth and nail for anyone to even give her the basic things she needs....

Good luck with everything!!

Anne

This may put a cat among the pigeons.You don't need Dx to get help in school.It is in theory based on educational need not Dx.Dx may help but should not be most important factor.

We were told that without a diagnosis we would get as much help as with a diagnosis and we faced a 2yr wait after the SALT had assessed our dd for a full diagnosis.

In the end we paid ?175 for a private assessment with a very good doc, and the assessment was shecduled within two weeks.... A lot of money if you don't have it but worth it if you have....

Unfortuantely it hasn't made any difference really to our dd's care, we still get no help and I have to fight tooth and nail for anyone to even give her the basic things she needs....

Good luck with everything!!

Anne

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I agree that we shouldnt need a dx to get help but with our son he got no help until dx and then went from nothing to school action plus overnight( - not that the help then arrived and we eventually moved schools and won tribunal case for fees to be paid. )With my daughter she is v different to my son but increasingly Ive seen worrying signs. These were also picked up by paediatrician who has monitored her for last two years- the same paediatrician who referred my son for formal diagnosis as she felt it was more than "autistic traits" which cahms had applied. one example is her inappropriate comments about people despite us haing tried to explain to her not to- tried a social story as well - her favourite is to comment on the size of people and loudly!( dont know why as we are both not small ourselves) She also has a bizarre fixation about death - she would fit in well in the "adams' family"! She can be v rigid in her thinking. She has obsessions although not to the same extent as my son. Karen perhaps youre right I know children progress at different rates and in a way I dont have any benchmark as I dont have any other NT kids. ?175 sounds good value. We found that son's ex-school just ignored the private reports and to some extent the NHS reports - we were told by sons previous school that they would only heed the Lea's ed psch as she " knew how their school worked" Anyway thanks.