Sign in to follow this  
hev

cant see the point

steve is on 3 clonidine a day and one ritalin,he is still very agressive home and school so when i see cahms on friday im gonna tell them to take him off them,they aint working,im in the mood for cahms this week,they done abso nothing consructive to help us,i want respite,i cant get it,yeah mum and dad have him but they in their seventies,i wish i had cahms today im in a fighting mood :wub:

I'm sorry you are feeling like this and I really hope that when you do see CAHMS you have a list ready of things you want to discuss.

It has been suggested to myself that I try chlonidine for my son, but I am going to try and avoid it for a bit longer.

At the moment he is taking 36mg concerta, 10mg ritalin, 5ml fluoxetine and 2, 3mg tablets of melatonin at night and the last couple of days things have not been too bad but I do hate having to give him meds, especially when he is throwing a wobbler and refusing to take them.

Have social services done a CORE ASSESSMENT of your familys needs and a carers assessment ?

if not I would be writing to them and asking to do one, from this assessment they decide whether you need respite etc. It is difficult to get but keep pushing them for it. I now get 3 hours 3 times a week when they told me I didn't need it. You do need to stress how much you need it, tell them exactly how it is.

Try not to get intotoo much of an argument with CAHMS as they can help you with letters etc, but saying thatI know how easy it is when you just want to pick up your phone and shout to someone about how difficult things are.

I hope all goes well for you and best of luck >:D<<'>

Hev my sons staying on the Ritalin but coming off the Clonidine, with agreement of our CAHMS lady that its made zero difference, but we HAVE to reduce it gradually. Sorry to hear things aren't going as you've hoped, fingers crossed CAHMs offer some good advice on what next

Edited by lil_me

took steve off ritalin when i did that last post and his behaviour not altered at all so obviously being on ritalin wasent benefiting him,still on clonidine,3 tabs a day

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Hev,

Sorry I just noticed this post. I am really confused. 3 Clonodine????? 1 Ritalin

Have you talked to the doctor about this or got a second opinion from another Paediatrician.

My son was on both these medications for years......... the dosage sounds really odd to me.......

N>B. Warning with Clonodine, and talk to your doctor about this, it is extremely dangerous to come off Clonodine quickly.

In my experience most kids on these meds would be the other way around i.e. 3 Ritalin per day and 1 Clonodine per day. Please double check this with your doctor, it doesnt sound right and maybe why he is so aggressive

Clonodine make my son sleepy and wind down. If my son even at his age and body weight, if he had 3 Clonodine a day he would be wanting to sleep all day.?????

Please Hev get a second opinion or is this a type error of yours????

Hailey :(>:D<<'>

Just bringing back this old post.

Hev hgow is Steven doing now? what med's is he taking, if any?

Don't mean to be nosey but my son is now taking chlonodine 25mg 3 times a day, 1 concerta 18mg and 10mg ritalin in the morning to get into his system quickly as the concerta was taking to long to work he also has melatonin at night to help him sleep and a 100mg chlonodine at night.

He's 8 and not at all drowsy on it and so far it's working reasonably well.

How's your son doing now ? >:D<<'>