Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

Sobbing uncontrollably for no obvious reason

Hi

I've noticed that Robert sometimes start sobbing for no obvious reason. He was playing a star wars game on his gameboy and asked me if I liked the music on it. I said that I did and he played happily with the game for a while. A bit later he went back to it and started sobbing uncontrollably. He said that the music made him feel sad. I had a tear in my eye as this kind of thing is becoming a fairly regular occurrence. Robert can be very emotionally up and down and it's really heartbreaking to watch. Does your child do that?

Caroline.

Hello Caroline

Im not quite sure how old Robert is but your message struck a cord.

My son is now 20 but I clearly remember a period (I think he was 8 or 9) when he would sob for no apparent reason. It was heartbreaking because he is non verbal and we had no idea why he was so upset. We could only comfort him as best we could. A friend with a similarly aged autistic son was going through the same thing so we didnt feel alone.

We never did get to the bottom of it and it disappeared after a year or so.

Lorainex

I found this interesting too.

My son is non verbal but sometimes he will start to cry for no obvious reason, his little face looks heartbroken and his bottom lip comes out! I totally understand what you mean about it being heartbreaking.

I asked at his special school if he ever did it there and his teacher said yes he did sometimes. She thought he was having flashbacks to things that had upset him. He can be laughing and smiling again within minutes.

We can't ask him so we can't say for sure what's going on in his head but it just goes to show it occurs all along the spectrum :)

Edited by Lila-Zen

Yes, my son AS12 starts sobbing for no apparent reason. When he was younger he could cry listening to music if it made him feel emotional. Now he says that he doesn't know why, but that he's depressed or "bored". He can stop suddenly and be OK again. I always thought that it's because he cannot talk much about his feelings. It helps him when we sit together and talk a bit about it, as much as he wants, but only sometimes since most of the time he doesn't want to talk about it.

I think that they get get better as they grow.

Curra

I am mum to an autistic boy who is 3 and 3/4s...and at the risk of sounding like a weirdo (my husband says I am weird :blink: )-I often am moved to tears (and I mean proper crying) by things such as music and views etc. Sometimes when I am really happy and laughing I end up sobbing....I have always put this down to my emotions being so closely linked, and perhaps getting mixed up. I can sit and look at a beautiful view and feel overwhemled with sadness by its beauty. The only time this has gone away was when after a very close friends traumatic death I was prescribed prozac for a few months....but I decided I wanted to feel the way I was supposed to and came off itI am not autistic (I think!!??) I just thought giving you my perspective on this may help!

Yeh, my little boy does this is well. i am starting to click with what causes it ie when teletubbies finishes on cbeebies he bursts into tears and he is even worse if he can't find his lala and po toys.

when pingu comes on, he has got to go and find his toy penguins.................

I don't think it's unusual, Donnie Darko, Pay it Forward, and the theme to MASH all set me off! With MASH, i think it's Radar, sending the jeep home through the post.

I've always been very sensitive like that.

At least, if I know a good cry will sort my head out, I can hit the right buttons! The biggest issue is dealing with other people who don't understand. That makes you frustrated, angry and not able to communicate well.

Did anyone see the Queen coming to tea today on TV around 1400? I thought it was done fairly well.