I was talking to my DD AS 15 yrs last night and she was asking me about things that happened 5 or 6 years ago. She can't remember things like driving all the way to Germany, (eight hours) several times and meeting her aunt and cousins for the first time. She remembers her cousins etc but can't remember anything we did while we were there. She has snipets of memory but she mixes them up with other events.

One time when I was 8 months pregnant with Ben, we went to Cornwall. On the way home my eldest DD was ill and throwing up in a bucket, (we took the spade out first) and the bridge was closed that connects cornwall to the rest of the country so we spent 13 hours stuck in the car. She remembers that but not where we had been and thought it was Germany.

She even had to ask her friend what they did last Monday on their 4 day trip to France, and that was on friday after they came back. :o

is this weired, she get very frustrated and was worried last night that she has some kind of memory loss.

Edited by Viper

Ben has excellent long term memmory-just soaks up factual information like a sponge-he is 8 and knows more about some things that interest him than me.However-ask him to find the socks that he took off 10 mins ago-no clue. :D I just accept it is a part of who he is now.Karen

It's difficult to judge with The Boy cos he's only 4 and non verbal, but last year (when he was 3) we put the paddling pool away under the back bed at the end of Summer. This year, on our first sunny day of the year, he got hold of his daddy's hand, took him upstairs to the back bedroom and put daddy's hand onto the paddling pool (which was shoved right back under the bed).

He does lots of things like this that absolutely amaze us - how could he remember where the pool was and know it was appropriate to get it out now it was sunny? There's no way I would've remembered something like that between the ages of 3 and 4.

Makes me realise there's a lot going on in there, I just don't see it.

Our 12 yr old has a fantastic long term memory, he can remember little details that happened well over 9 years ago, but as already said short term, forget it...

She has a good memory for things like phone numbers and who has what car etc. But anything to do with social events she has real problems with.

My husband is the same. He remembers phone numbers and even our anniversary but not much about the wedding (it was only 3 years ago ) I love to talk about when we first met but he can't remember much, I remember every last detail.

I wonder if they find social events too stressful so they don't register whats going on?

My AS son (12 yrs) has a very weird memory. He has hardly any memories of outings and places we've taken him out and about to over the years, even those as recent as last year, I often wonder why we bothered taking him in the first place! :P But then he has a sudden snippet of an obscure part of a memory, if you see what I mean. E.G. we were standing in a shop the other day and he was looking at the ice-creams and he saw a picture of a particular ice-cream and he said he remembered Grandma and Grandad feeding him one of those - he was three years old and sitting in his buggy at the time! I was flabbergasted! :blink: And yet we saw our next door neighbour walking to town the other day and we said hi to him and J said, 'who's that'! Weird! :lol:

~ Mel ~

Went to the dentist today and the receptionist asked DS how old he is now. DS couldn't remember at all (he's 12 next month!).

Dxd with <2nd centile auditory STM, but also tends to go "blank" when under stress or put "on-the-spot"!

VS xx

My dd (11yr AS) has good long term memory but short term memory loss too.

Each night I have to ask her to give me her mobile so I charge it or otherwise she forgets, I also leave things out for her ON TOP of her school bag so she remembers she has to hand a note in etc, she then keeps it in her hand as if it goes in the bag it never comes out again :)

If her routine is upset in the morning, for instance if one of her sisters beat her to the bathroom, she would then forget everything and still be trying to remember to brush her teeth on the way out the door.

Anne

She has a good memory for things like phone numbers and who has what car etc. But anything to do with social events she has real problems with.

My husband is the same. He remembers phone numbers and even our anniversary but not much about the wedding (it was only 3 years ago ) I love to talk about when we first met but he can't remember much, I remember every last detail.

I wonder if they find social events too stressful so they don't register whats going on?

Viper I think lack of memmory of social events may be due to different understanding.The theory is that we attach memmory to things that have significance-perhaps people with ASD don't remember social things because they have a different view of them.A calculated guess-sure someone will tell me if it is wrong .Karen

Hi My memory is terrible lol, I can remember things that happened years ago but things like when I am upstairs and remember somthing to tell my dh then come down I just can't remember what I was going to say no matter how important it was lol. Matthew can remember loads of things from years ago and will remember how a room/place looks and what has changed next time, no matter how small the change but he can't remember where he puts his toys etc!

Ask my son what he did in school today or where he went for an outing yesterday and h'll almost certainly answer with an 'I don't know'.

Leave him to his own devises and he'll talk about what happened when we went to America last Summer or when he went to the beach with my firends twin boys when he was only a year old. Like your dd, he can remember snippets but not acctually the whole event but the things he comes out with still surprises me to this day. He then gets frustrated that I can't seem to recall something when he asks questions about something that happened months or even years ago!

Guest flutter

my dd rembers the funniest of things

last dentist chaos was cos she remembered the filling she had over 3 visits ago, she had forgotton the ok ones

i would wonder if u dd is worrying about things chaingin in her memory about france, cos she may feel under pressure and is concenred bout that

C x

My hubby has a fantastic memory for movies, books, stuff he learnt at school that I forgot the day after I learnt it LOL

BUT there's much of his childhood that he cant' remember and a lot of family stuff he can't remember.

Lynne x

Ds#1 surprised me at about 3 or 4 by getting all cross about a lolly I'd bought him before he was 2 'why did you give me a sour one?'. He remembered the colour, where we had bought it and how sour it was and must have only been about 18mth.

He recently at 6 1/2 announced 'do you know what poi's are? They are white bits in your milk'.

He'd driven us mad by refusing to drink his milk when he was 3 because it had 'poi's in' (!) At 3 we could never get him to explain what a 'poi' was and went to great lengths to get him to drink it by saying we got our milk from a special shop that had no poi's in it's milk (Do we sound just as mad) There were white bits in if I hadn't stirred right cos I used to sneak his omega oil into the milk - but he'd never mentioned this for years then suddenly came out with the explaination 3 1/2 yrs later.

So odd little things he does remember - but as to where his favourite toy is..he had seemingly no memory at all.

my dx has fab long term memory daddy went away on buisness when he was 3 and at 7 he still says to him do you remember when you left him (2 nights) yet what he did at school, what i just asked him to do, what he has just read about no chance. he remembers every detail word for word of tv programmes, describe every gate he will approach on a familiar route.

Ben has excellent long term memmory-just soaks up factual information like a sponge-he is 8 and knows more about some things that interest him than me.However-ask him to find the socks that he took off 10 mins ago-no clue. :D I just accept it is a part of who he is now.Karen

J's the same - he would be excellent at trivial pursuit - but he has been known to go to the kitchen for a biscuit and then put it on the table and forget all about it ....

My little monkey has a staggering eye for detail..... most recently, off the top of my head was going into Homebase the other day. I drove in, and within 10 seconds he said 'There are 29 cars in the car park' - He was right. He can also remember minute details from three/four/five year back. But it will usually be excact descriptions of buildings/interior rather than who he saw or what we did.

Saying all that...........if you send him upstairs to fetch something - i'd be amazed if he remembered. :rolleyes::D

Yep, both my boys are the same !

eldest has lost two pairs of glasses in two months and his now having to wear his prescription sunglasses to school :rolleyes:

I'm just as bad, today I thought I'd be organised and poach some salmon so that we could have it cold later for dinner. I got the salmon out of the fridge and filled a pan with water, wine etc. put it on the gas ring then couldn't find the blooming fish....

spent 15 minutes searching our tiny kitchen, starting to think I'd imagined this salmon and was reduced to looking in every room :wacko:

thought this is ridiculous, went back to kitchen and found it in a drawer with the teatowels :blink:

I think I need more fish oil !!!

wac

I'm just as bad, today I thought I'd be organised and poach some salmon so that we could have it cold later for dinner. I got the salmon out of the fridge and filled a pan with water, wine etc. put it on the gas ring then couldn't find the blooming fish....

spent 15 minutes searching our tiny kitchen, starting to think I'd imagined this salmon and was reduced to looking in every room :wacko:

thought this is ridiculous, went back to kitchen and found it in a drawer with the teatowels :blink:

I think I need more fish oil !!!

This cheered me up :) - thanks for making me laugh :lol::lol::lol:

My son can remember where we went on what date and what we were all wearing.

He can also look at something for a short time, maybe a list of 100 words and can then write them all down from memory.

I call these his "super hero special powers".

Hi,

Yes my daughter can remember things from when she was in nursery (3yrs old) yet can't remember what's happened in school today or last night etc (she's now 13) - her long term memory is much better than her short term.

I know we've been particularly worried about this - but when voicing these concerning to the consultant - she said it's very common with ASD - often it's things that have been of interest or exciting etc - compared to everday boring stuff - it's almost like they retain the things that are important to them at the time.

Jb

hello my dd6 is like that the other night she had her bath and i was drying her when she said when am i haveing my bath allso when she was eating something the other night she was looking for it even though she had just eat it she was saying were has it gone i told her she just eat it then her brother come in from the other room and said he eat it has a joke she just sarted screming so i had to give her mine she all so forget to drink you got to keep telling her all the best jill

My DS can still remember sleeping in a cot and our first house (he wasnt even 1 when we moved) but ask him what he had for lunch an hour ago and he couldnt tell you.

Hi

My son Robert who's 4.5 and has AS appears to have excellent long-term memory. He can recall things that happenened nearly 2 years ago. However, he has trouble recollecting where he put his gameboy last night!!! I recently read a book called something along the lines of 'The strange incident with the dog' which was written by a teenager with AS. He describes his memory as being like a video recorder. He can simply rewind or playback his photographic memory. Guess that's a good way of putting it.

Caroline.

My dd 9 also has good long term memory. She can remember many things that happened a long time ago but can't recall what happened yesterday. We put on a video recently that we hadn't watched for over 2 years, but we used to watch over and over again :blink: After 10 seconds of the adverts at the beginning she remembered what it was :)

I thought it was my sons not wanting to tell me what happened at school today ... rather than his short term memory.

"What did you do at school today?" .... "I can't remember" ...... "did you eat all your lunch?" .... "Mummy can I go on my computer now?" ... and then I just roll my eyes and give in!!! Ha ha.

A lot of kids do it, ASD or not ... I can remember hating my parents asking me when I was a kid, somehow I detached school from home.

It has made me think though, I will look out for his short term memory v his long term.

my son has an excellent long term memory but poor short term. he has taken part in some of the reseach at Universities in London on this subject.

my own memory is described by others as very good but I cannot learn by wrote, it seems to be to do with attaching the thing to something else to save it?