Sign in to follow this  
Sojourned

Aspergic leaving home, anyone else gone through this?

I'm in that situation now. Nineteen, Aspergic, leaving home in 45 days. In my usual fashion I'm doing things slightly more extreme than is standard.. namely moving from rural England to Melbourne, Australia. It's been planned for quite a while and I've been selling off various things over the past few months to reduce the need to work, but strangely it's only just sunk in today. And to be honest, it scares the bejeezus out of me.

Did anyone else go through this when they first left home? Since I can only take something like 27kg with me, most of my life is going into storage or being sold, which is weird when I've always been a collector of everything... I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, other than a strong feeling of being both confused and lost.

Hi sojourned...

Understandable feelings - I think anyone of us would be uneasy, no matter how much planning we'd put into it...

You don't give much detail about what you're moving too, but I'm guessing you have good 'sponsors' over there as the whole Visa thing has got much, much harder these days... If not, obviously the people approving the visa are fairly convinced that your skills are ones in demand there, so with that savings buffer i'm sure "She'll be right"...

Worst case scenario: you have to borrow a few hundred quid to get home.Best case scenario: A wonderful new life in what really really is a beautiful, 'young', and optimistic country...

Very, very best with it... keep us posted from some internet cafe, and bring me back a koala skin tinny cooler! First thing you'll say as you get off the plane - Jeeeesus, that Sky's high!"

L&P

BD :D

Hi Sojurned,

I'm from Melbourne Australia and as I'm writing this the sky is grey, it's windy and it's going to rain soon! (Not trying to put you off or anything!).

Where about in Melbourne are you staying? I live in Thornbury which is sort of near Melbourne.

If you've got any questions let me know - I hope I can be of some help!

Eva

At the moment, I'm not moving to a great deal. Got a flat lined up for a couple of months and have some close friends out there, that's about it. I know living here has done me no favours, so I'm taking a chance.

Eva: Sounds lovely. Hopefully Spring will have arrived by the time I do.. (September 16th), I'll be staying somewhere around the Reservoir area as I have friends there, not sure how that compares to Thornbury. My geography of the area needs work.

Never dared take such a huge step myself, only moved in this country (ok so I did that 11 times in 6 years but not the same) Wishing you the very best of luck, I hope it all works out great for you >:D<<'>

My first leaving home wasn't a pleasant one unfortunately as myself and my mother clash a bit so not something I can compare with

Edited by lil_me

I'll be staying somewhere around the Reservoir area as I have friends there, not sure how that compares to Thornbury. My geography of the area needs work.

Scratch that, I was just looking at a map and it appears Reservoir is next door to Thornbury. So I could be living a couple of streets away from you!

Guess it really is a small world. :blink:

I think you are very brave, I wouldn't dare up sticks and move to another country! Actually, I've never even moved out of this County :lol:

All the best, hope it goes well!

yep i agree, it would make anyone feel uneasy. If you think you have the strength to do it then i say go for it, you will gain a lot. good luck xx

Hi Sojourned,

yes, Reservoir is pretty close to Thornbury! In fact I went to Reservoir just the other day to do some shopping.

Make sure you ask your friends if there's a fan or air con in your flat - summer can be revoltingly hot at times. Last NYE it got to 43 degrees! Spring can be very changeable too, in one day the weather can be showery, sunny, windy and stormy so make sure you bring a raincoat (don't worry about the gumboots). Oh yes, and expect people to offer you vegemite. It's like mamite but made of yeast by-products or something. It's thick and black (and very yummy) but you have to have it on buttered bread and with only a thin layer of vegemite. Beware anyone who says it's chocolate!

Don't forget to ask if you've got any questions about anything - I'll try and help.

Cheers,

Eva

I don't think there's AC in the first one, but I'll only be there for a month or two. Come the summer I'll have another place, which will have AC. And leather furniture. Oh yes. Well, that's my plan, at least.

What's the neighbourhoods round there like? I'm used to a small town where I can walk to the post office, see half a dozen people and will have known all of them for several years. I'm thinking this will be slightly different.

At the moment the biggest problem is logistics. I've spent half the damn day trying to get my bank accounts set up for internet access, cancelling phone contracts, paper statements and all the other non-sense. The other half was spent cleaning up a pensioner's laptop which was full of viruses and spyware while trying to avoid her dog humping my leg... (If you ever need your PC fixing, feel free to ask. I'm fairly well trained.)

Thanks to everyone else for the messages of support. Coping with it all at first could be interesting, but I'm never going to get rid of AS unless I challenge it head-on.. or so goes the theory..

Hi Sojourned,

good luck working through all the boring logistics!

Reservoir is a bit of an uninspiring suburb - (but I'm sure the people who live there would disagree!). Where are you going to be moving to in summer? Will you be staying in the area or moving to a different suburb? I'm very impressed about the leather furniture by the way!

I smiled at your comment about the dog - I hate them doing things like that, and putting their snouts in your groin. In fact, I've decided that I don't like dogs at all. They're too smelly and too demanding.

I'll remember what you said about fixing computers - it's always good to know someone who knows about that sort of thing. Is that what you're trained in?

Regards,

Eva

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Sojourned

Sounds like you have got it all organised pretty well. You will love Melbourne I actually live in Sydney but lived in Melbourne for around 5 years around Brighton and South Yarra & Toorak, it is a beautiful place.

One thing you will notice is that it is really really flat when you look out the plane window. Sydney is so different Sydney is built on ridges and surrounded by many waterways.

I must admit I had to laugh when Eva mentioned the weather changes, that does bring back some memories and Melbourne has a reputation for having 4 seasons in one day. :lol::lol:

The one thing you really will want to do is invest in a bicycle as you will find everyone is getting around on bicycles there as the weather is glorious and the city is soo flat as I said earlier you can ride for hours without one hill in sight. When I moved back to Sydney I had to say goodbye to the bike as I had trouble pedalling up the big hills.

I wish you all the best, sounds like a great adventure for you, the world is waiting for you. Enjoy it.

Regards

Hailey :)

Edited by hallyscomet

Eva - I'll most likely be staying in the area (inbetween visiting other places), as I have some close friends there.. In fact, the girl you see in my avatar is one of the main reasons for all of this. Leather furniture - what can I say? I have expensive tastes. Or none at all as some would tell you.

As for computers, well.. been at college for 4 years gaining two diplomas and half a dozen certificates for various IT-based activities, so trained is one word for it. Sick to the back teeth of them is some more :D

Hal - Coming from the UK, weather changes are something I'm used to! Cycling is good for me too, I quite enjoy it although I live in a very hilled region here.. firms up the old ###### muscles, at least.

I'd still like an open-topped Beetle to cruise about in though. Bright yellow I'm thinking.

Hi Sojourned,

the girl in your avatar looks very gorgeous! Is she Australian or English - how did you guys meet?

Reservoir is a fair way from anywhere, woops, sorry, I mean a fair way from the inner city. It's a working- class outer northern suburb of Melbourne and not exactly what rural England is like, (I'm only guessing here by the way. I have read lots of English pony stories, so I know all about stiles and fox hunting).

Feel free to contact me on my email address - (what are the rules about giving someone an email address?).

Not long to go now! Do you know where your passport is?!

Cheers,

Eva

She's Australian, unfortunately. (I kid!) - I can't remember exactly, but about three and a half years ago we were both posting on a music forum and she started e-mailing me one day. Hit it off immediately, about 6 months later she was in the UK with her family who came down to my area for a couple of days and we've stayed in MSN/e-mail/phone contact ever since. I've been intending to go to Oz since about then really, but I wanted to get the education side of things finished before doing anything crazy.

And yes, stiles and fox hunting about sums up here. Also big stone circles. The country's very much in my blood, so adjusting the city could prove interesting.. They usually scare the hell out of me.