Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

Protection sheets for beds

Does anyone know where I can get mattress protection sheets from? My son is now toilet trained during the day and I now want to have a bash at getting him to stay dry during the night........... :ph34r:

Hi,

We're having a bash at this too,

this is my second attempt at posting a reply, had to stop earlier when I realised someone was climbing over back gate, don't know who was more scared, me or the lad I bellowed at looking at me through the back door :o

Anyway, have calmed down now so back to the sheets...

We have got a waterproof cover under the bedsheet but I was getting a bit fed up of having to change the whole bed nearly every day.

Then I took the pvc cover off the old cot mattress that is on the floor for when he falls out of bed and cut it into 2 wide strips.

I put one on top of the sheet with a cot sheet covering it like a hospital bed draw sheet and tuck it in well, then if it's wet I can whip it off without disturbing him too much :pray:

I can't think why I didn't think of this before, doh !

Probably loads of people already use a similar get-up :rolleyes:

HTH, wac

There's loads of places sell waterproof sheets- anywhere that sells 'normal' sheets.

You can also get first matresses which are plastic on one side.

My kids found the plastic sheets uncomfortable though and kept pulling them off! We did better with disposable sheets which you can get next to the nappies in supermarkets.

If you get the free nappies they can give you two kyle sheets for the bed they are about the size of the pampers bed sheets.They can go in the tumble dryer and stay in place on the bed and no visable pvc.Think OT could prob get these for you too.

Lisa x

The pampers ones are very expensive, if you can get the washable ones they are very good (try searching the internet for special needs/disability supplies if your OT/paediatrician/health visitor/ social worker can't help)

another thing I spotted recently on the internet is that they do puppy toilet training mats in some of the pet supply stores and they appear to be the same as the disposable pampers sheets but cheaper - just a thought

Zemanski

Thank you - i will have a browse about and see what i can find...........

We tried all sorts?

But these days we find those plastic lined "travel blankets" (as found in most service stations) are quite good???

If you have seen them, they are like a typical looking travel blanket (always tartan for some reason), but lined with plastic on one side?

Using them, under a sheet, blanket side up, removes the "crinkle" effect which my son dislikes. We find the heavy blanket side soaks up well, but our son does tend to come and tell us in the night when he has wet the bed?

Our use is for those "occasional" accidents that happen though, I don't think they would be very good for regular wet nights.

Kylie sheets are the best I think. Like Waccoe I have made some. Somewhere on here I have written how I made mine, can't remember the thread though! Love Kat

I have looked everywhere as i wanted a new one for Matthew, I bought one the other week for my younger son Nathan (nearly 3 who has been done at night for about 2mths now) and so I went to that shop again, home bargains, but they don't sell them anymore, just wanted a cheap one as it was just 1.99, have looked all over and can't find anywhere that sell them except mothercare but I aren't paying 8.99! Matthew is 6 no way ready to be done at night but needs something on the bed for when he soaks through his huggies PJ pants.

I use a web site called snug nights. It sells waterproof sheets, pillow and duvet protectors. We have them on all our beds (mine and hubbies included) as we never know where E will end up and they are quite comfortable if a little hot in very hot weather. After much trial and error with different types the ones we like best have waterproof undersides but terry towelling on the topside that you sleep on.

Some weeks ago I bought a very good one at Lidl's for less that ?4. Maybe you could have a look and see if they still have them.

Curra

Found my previous post still can't do links but can cut and paste!

If you can sew Kylies can be made.

You will need:

1 double bed sheet cut into 4

1 plastic flat sheet (from mothercare or similar) the old fashioned sort also cut into 4

4 old towels

4 pieces of cotton jersey material (like tshirting)

Make sure the piece of cotton sheet is about 3ft wide and long enough to tuck in the sides of the bed

Layer the towels across the sheet and put the jersey cloth on top

Stitch through the layers making sure the thick layers cover the width of the bed and there are just single layers of cotton sheet that will fold in over the mattress

Hey presto a Kylie sheet of your very own!

Place over the sheet on your child's bed and then when wet can be whipped off and hopefully will not spread onto the bed itself. These can be made bigger if the child is a great wriggler and mover, can be boil washed, will hopefully save you some washing and that endless changing of the whole bed at 2.00am!

Two will probably not be enough 4 is better! Hope this helps. it is hard and does seem endless but will stop when the child is ready for it. Just try to make your own life easier in the meantime.

Other tip is to use a cheapo sleeping bag instead of a duvet, unzipped they fit into a single duvet cover and can fit easily into a washing machine, because they are nylon based dry really quickly as well. Argos do cheap ones for about ?5 or ?6 pounds. Love Kat

My son has the odd accident so always have plastic sheet on his bed, but I put a thick quilted mattress protector on top so its not all hot and sticky, got it all in Argos.Good luck!

Hi,

bought my mattress cover form Lidl too,

I will have to make katkin's superduper version of a kylie sheet from my attempt, the cot sheets are the ideal size for this already.

As an aside, posting my original reply in the early hours of this morning saved us from being burgled, I think :blink:

it's strange cos three times in the last year we've had a prowler in the back garden and I've been on here every time !

This was the first time that I've come face to face with the culprit tho' :o

I told the cop that came round that we kept unusual hours in this house, he probably thought we already been burgled from the state of our house, I was so ashamed :wacko:

wac

I have also used those waterproof tablecloth things as undersheets.

Also the fitted waterproof matress protectors are useful for middle of the night changes. You just pull them up at the corners with all the sheets on top etc (so it's like a hammock etc), chuck it in the bath in a bundle. Remake the bed, and then go back to sleep ... ready for the morning when the washing machine awaits!

Hi Waccoe

What a nightmare about the intruder........................

i think if the police ever came to my house, they would probably think the same - it is currently got toys and cleaning washing (awaiting ironing) everwhere!

Take care

Forbsay

Kylie sheets are the best I think. Like Waccoe I have made some. Somewhere on here I have written how I made mine, can't remember the thread though! Love Kat

just a thought, my mum was prescribed kylie sheets after she had her stroke by the gp,ss and by ot so any of them might be a point of reference, she had hers put on top of the sheet, so if she had an accident it was just a case of changing the kylie. also a tip given to me when i was doing her washing is, although they can be washed as often as you like, never put fabric conditioner in as it makes it lose its leakproof abilities. after my mum passed i had her unused ones and they did my four and i then passed them to my sister for her two [1 still being used as little one only 3] so although expensive they last a long time

:wub:>:D<<'>