Stephanie

Last CD you listened to?

I've actually preferred Dance of Death and Brave New World to any of their other albums, and as far as I can tell so far, Life and Death is no exception... and, unsurprisinly after 14 albums, you start to notice more than just similarities to earlier material.

Short answer no :P But I'm sure it will grow on me - I like few albums on first listen. Though Brighter than a thousand suns is most excellent :P

Edited by Will

Really? I thought those two were alright, but other than Paschendale nothing really stood out. Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are probably my favourite albums, although I rarely listen to them these days.

Last CD: H To He Who Am The Only One, Van Der Graaf Generator. Great title or greatest title?

Sorry Will ... will it disappoint you to hear that I was listening to Linkin Park's Live in Texas yesterday? It was for my son - honest!

Good old Maiden though, you can't beat a bit of Brucie, foot up on the amp box (?) giving it his all at the top of his voice ...!

Auriel is probably doing a Google right now to try and find an even more obscure CD title and band just to 'impress us'. Can't wait.

Well -I'm- dissapointed even if nobody else is. You adults and your Nu-Metal, you don't know what real music is! *waves some kind of imaginary internet cane*

Shouldn't we all be searching for obscure bands to impress people? After all, their music sucks if anyone else has heard of them.

Last album: Sailing to Philidelphia by Mark Knopfler.

People that listen to Mark Knopfler usually have zimmer frames, not canes ... and are in need of new hearing aids ... lol!

Well if you can dish it out ... lol, just messin'! Have a good day!

Obscure Bands? Impress you? Nahhhhh, its just better than the tired re-hashes that everyone else comes out with.

I did think for a while whether i was going after these bands just to impress, then it struck me, the mainstreame hasn't really been developing that much... innovation in the mainstream eye is simply using a synthesizer alongside your guitar, though where have the developments in song structure been? Everyones still using verses and choruses, but why? The only reason I can find is because it's what *everyone* does. And the majority of indie bands have the same texture, and having just skipped through a bunch of SOAD albums, songs from the latest two albums sound *remarkably* like the albums before hand.

I don't hate the mainstreame because it's mainstream, I hate it for lack of progression, and the stagnating.

I could write an essay on *why*, my main view is that the majority of listeners are scared of new sounds, and since the industrial scene relies (or relied, i don't like the modern stuff asmuch) on inovation, pouring funds into one band would require funds to be poured into others, however the amount of differentiation may mean that if one album had a sound/theme that people didn't like, the money loss would be too great.

Anyway i'm just writing that on the quick so i could be *completly* wrong.

Anyway

Prodigy- Fat of The land

I think mainly because bands have their own sound, which is why I like them. Of course their new CD's sound like their old ones ... good.

When bands knock out albums that are far from their usual sound it doesn't seem to work and they lose a lot of fans. Usually happens around the 3rd album.

Anyway Auriel - mwah!

Infernal Love by Therapy?

But why listen to the new cds if they sound like the old ones?

And the fear of loosing fans prevents them from evolving their sound... mainly due to pressure from the Record Lable that is determined to keep the cash flow coming from their mainstreame darlings.

It takes little talent to produce the same sound in different combinations over ten years.

Edited by Auriel

People that listen to Mark Knopfler usually have zimmer frames, not canes ... and are in need of new hearing aids ... lol!

:o I will hear not of such blasphemy! Wash your mouth out with soap young lady.

But why listen to the new cds if they sound like the old ones?

To quote Futurama, "Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared."

Music seemed to really stop developing in the 70s, by the early 80s we got onto this continuing trend of finding something people like and repeating it. But if it's what people want, so be it. If Steph likes SOAD because they're reliable, more power to her. I like prog rock for the opposite reason, but I don't expect others to have the same taste as I do.

End of the day everyone's different. Please yourself and leave them to it.

Last CD: Gimme Some Thunder, by Thunder, unsurprisingly.

Lets not forget that most experimental music sucks, and that most of the best music ever relies on a formula of some kind.

Valuing innovation over songcraft is quite stupid really.

I am staying with my opinion on System of a Down, they even wrote this for you:-

Auriel, in the sky,

when you lose small mind,

you free your life.

Auriel,so up high,

when you free your eyes,

eternal prize

Anyhow ...

Shaving Peaches by Terrorvision.

Can I respond with some ohGr?

From the Song craCKer, off the album Welt (which i'm listening too noww)

You think you're evil but your not

Still sucking blind from the mainstream

It's so deluded give it up

Whats that you hide behind your pile of s---

It's so deluded give it up

It's unoriginal

Lets not forget that most experimental music sucks, and that most of the best music ever relies on a formula of some kind.

Valuing innovation over songcraft is quite stupid really.

You seem to be under the impression that innovation and songcraft are mutually exclusive, which is entirely wrong. The combination of the two are what prog and experimental genres are all about.

"The best music ever" is relative, and by definition all music is some kind of formula. Otherwise it would just be noise.

Stephanie: Terrorvision? All is forgiven. I love you.

Last CD was 'All Over the World: The Very Best of ELO'.

... oh shucks, he loves me! I've pulled a 19 year old woo hoo! :dance:

Soujourned ... how come you listen to such old style music then, like ELO?? That wasn't a criticism, just seems you are a bit young for all that stuff, I just wondered on your influences for your back catalogue. ELO is way back in the 70's ... my Dad had one of their records on blue VINYL ... yes, vinyl!

I am currently listening to Stoosh by Skunk Anansie on CD and have just downloaded some Coheed and Cambria.

Thanks for the lyrics Auriel. I liked mine better. I never realised I was such a conformist - I just needed a real individual to show me the light. :wacko:

Stephanie

Which is worse:

A young person listenning to old music

or

A 'more mature' person listening to new music in an attempt to pass themselves off as contemporary and relevant?

:lol::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Simon

Soujourned ... how come you listen to such old style music then, like ELO?? That wasn't a criticism, just seems you are a bit young for all that stuff, I just wondered on your influences for your back catalogue. ELO is way back in the 70's ... my Dad had one of their records on blue VINYL ... yes, vinyl!

The why is I feel similar to Auriel in that modern music all seems a bit generic (only I won't criticise in a non-sarcastic fashion). Stuff from around the mid 60s to the late 70s appeals to me because the artists were really doing their own thing and finding new sounds/styles that hadn't even been imagined before, let alone tried, and it still stands out today. The Moody Blues' In Search of the Lost Chord I think is one of the best examples of this - They aquired over 30 different instruments from around the world (Asia in paticular), rented a studio for 3 months and experimented. You just don't get that kind of originality these days.

The how is a decade of exploring. First band I really listened to were Guns N Roses, having been given one of their albums in 1996.. then to Maiden and Motorhead, Rammstein, Metallica, Helloween, Linkin Park (it was a phase!) and got into classic rock with that Greatest Air Guitar album. From there I started getting albums by the artists I liked and other similar compilation albums and it's continued in some kind of crazy web. Edit: Saying that, it most likely started with a Top Gear (greatest driving anthems) compilation CD I was given in 1994, although I never listened to alot until 2002 when I rediscovered it.

Nowadays I listen to anything from 60s American Psychedelia to current Scandinavian Gothic Metal and most things inbetween, chronologically, geographically or stylistically. Culturally I'm a cross between hippy, freak, metalhead and goth with the tastes of all and characteristics of none. Good eh.

Last CD was Clutching at Straws from Marillion.

Edited by Sojourned

Just knocked together a compo cd combining the tastes of those residing at Thirlaway Towers (except the cat).

Stuff like REM, White Stripes, Scissor Sisters, Lenny Kravitz, Crowded House (for the soppier among us), Raconteurs, Dandy Warhols, James Brown, a bit of vintage Bowie in there too. It's nice. I've also chucked in a few Star Wars sound effects in between tracks to please a certain someone.

Karen

x

Ten by Pearl Jam ...

... saw Eddie Vedder at Reading festival last week sporting his long hair and beard ... I go for the "Jesus" type so I was a bit weak at the knees to say the least!

Oh lordy, don't mention wotsits and fanta on here, all those food colourings etc, you will get lynched by half of the Mums on here for even suggesting it ever happened.

No CD's listened to since the last one, due to the Pooh's Heffalump Movie DVD being on ... but I did just listen to a load of old metal ringtones ... I could have done better on my kids xylophone!

The Shins - Chutes too narrow. They are a new group to me (probly been around for years) I love this album :notworthy:

SV

Bid, if Auriel has gone back to college whos going to give us the answer to the Name that tune lyrics he posted ages ago??

Edited by something vague

Oh lordy, don't mention wotsits and fanta on here, all those food colourings etc, you will get lynched by half of the Mums on here for even suggesting it ever happened.

Did I say that? I meant a potato. And a glass of water.

Last CD - The Time of the Oath from Helloween.

:dance: had a bit of James Morrison today, and Muse again :rolleyes: ..............and a very old David Bowie one from his glass spider tour :wacko: ..............not that good come to think of it :lol:

Did I say that? I meant a potato. And a glass of water.

Last CD - The Time of the Oath from Helloween.

Helloween - oh wow nostalgia, you'll be bringing out the Cinderella and Twisted Sister next. Dee Snider ... the only guy who ever looked better with his bad make up slapped on. Shudder, he's ugly!

Liberation Transmission, Lostprophets ... if the rumours are true about Auriel going back to college, I shouldn't have to take any flack for saying that.