Sign in to follow this  
baddad

NEW GF/CF TUCK AT TESCO!

HI-

4 anyone out there doing the gf/df 'thang' , ben and I discovered quite a few new lines in the Tesco Free From range. Generally, the Tesco range seems to be expanding while Sainsbury's get more lacksadasical about theirs...

Anyway - new lines:

Pikelets (thin crumpets!)

Scotch pancakes

Pitta bread

Fishfingers*

Chicken nuggets*

+ getting xmas lines in: Christmas puds/Iced Xmas cake/Mince Pies (Ben's eaten 2 of the last item already today, pronounced them "delicious").

Some stuff is put in the freefrom/organics/healthy eating section, but others (mainly xmas items) are kept in with the regular stock. Fishfingers and Nuggets are in freezer section nect to their regular counterparts.

For all those implementing the diet, you'll know that certain other websites take a hard line about all supermarket freefrom ranges. For my part, I've not had any problems with the stuff we've tried, but I accept that some kids may be more susceptible to 'trace elements'. My method is to suck it and see - if it causes a reaction, don't buy it again. That said, I find my shopping bills getting bigger and bigger while I'm getting very lazy about all the caking and baking I used to do... Slapped wrist, BD, you could be spending that money on more wine! ;)

* Best thing from our POV, as Ben loves both and we had to shop at Sainsbury's for these until now. We can now do either/or shop rather than both without missing out on anything!

PS: Just 'previewed' this message before posting, and it's title jumps right out at you - bit like that awful froggy clothing company's ads! ;):D

Hi ol has tried the pikelets and pancakes and loved both. I've been gettin the fishfingers for him for ages now but they seem to have discontinued the chicken nuggets here (west wales). we get his bread etc on prescription but he prefers the ff pasta from tesco

nelx :)

B) Bread on prescription?????

I have to say i know very little about this particular diet but i'm going to read up on it as i know my son eats very little and i would basically try whatever i could to help him. Caking and baking eh???????? i can just picture the scene BD!! :whistle:

I know that Asda do a really good range of free from, i haven't actually noticed the prices but my ed psyche told me they do gluten/casein free bourbon buscuits!! mm mm! B)

Hi Nel -

Your Ol' will eat the bread available on scrip? About 2 years ago we tried every available scrip bread. Ben'd eat none of them (and I tried them to see why - they were b****y awful!) For about a year we made our own using Truefree #4 then that got taken off the market! Now use Doves Farm white bread flour and an adaptation of their basic breadmaker recipe that uses honey rather than sugar. Best yet, but still only good for toast after a day or so or freezing... Ben now likes the Tesco brown and sainsbury's white, but with all the other expensive stuff I'm buying him it's def home made for toast! Perhaps there's new stuff on scrip? Let me know name of stuff you get and I'll pay a visit to the gp...

Hi kirstie -

"bread on scrip" (and pasta/biscuits and a few other bits) depends on your GP. They tend to argue that it's only available for 'true' coeliacs, but the actual rules are ambiguous enough for them to prescribe if they percieve it to be beneficial. My GP's brilliant - really open minded about possible causes/links/triggers in autism (though we agree to differ on MMR), and helped with urine test referals to Paul Shattock, dieticians etc etc. That said, I made sure to involve her from the start - they tend to be more 'precious' about their role if you go to them after the event...

Bourbons are ok, but Ben prefers plain ol' digestives or cuzzie creams. There's a rather delicious range of macaroons, too, but thankfully Ben doesn't like them (fool - they ARE yum!) so I don't buy them and don't get tempted!

As for baking and caking - much easier than you think... Cheap bread machine does the bread bit, and cakes are FUN (though I struggle icing the birthday ones - so far two Wacky Races, a Pingu and a Muttley). Actually been at it today with some nice 'n easy Date Krispie slices that'll see Ben through the week - Ten minutes making, two hours cleaning up!

Seriously, give the diets a go. It's much easier now than when we started and the results can be amazing!

Sorry - went off on one a bit there!

L&P

BD

:) Hi Baddad the only bread available on prescription that Ol will eat is the Juvela Harvest mix. It's very easy - just throw it in the breadmaker. Sometimes I add honey/sultanas etc. I've double checked with our dietician and it's def. g/f, c/f. He also gets biscuits (glutafin) on prescription, and pasta, crispbreads etc. GP was dubious at first but ol def. showed improvements and they have agreed to prescription for indefinite period. I buy all his dairy free stuff but as we get higher rate DLA I use that so it's not too bad. I think we r v. lucky though. Some G.P's etc. are not so helpful. I do quite a bit of baking (g/f c/f) but don't be put off, Kirstie if u don't like cooking. I just like cooking/baking but ol doesn't eat much of it. Me and my other son eat most of it!

luv nel x

Isaac has ENER-G white rice bread and will also eat glutafin white rice bread (if toasted) both available on prescription.

P.S it refreshing to feel that im not the wicked witch of the west if I give Isaac free from foods from tescos. (he loves the fish fingers the chocolate bars and the choc chip cakes that come in indiv sealed packets so theyre great for lunch boxes)

lucy

Hi Lucy -

I may be wrong now, but when originally checking options on scrip Glutafin product contained milk derivatives. That said, your littlun may just be gluten intolerant or able to handle small amounts of dairy (as my son can - I'm just careful not to tip the balance the wrong way!); so if it works for you, don't fix it(!) :D

Only added this post for the sake of anyone in the process of trying the diet (or thinking about it) Just In Case...

If I'm wrong, and they've changed the recipe, let me know, 'cos if there is a GF/DF bread Ben would eat available on scrip I'm all for saving the money for more important things like beer and curry! ;)

Whoops! Its GLUTANO bread he gets. It does say on the packaging "may contain traces of nuts,eggs soy and milk products. It also says this on the packets of glutano shortbread ring biscuits which he also gets on precription. Isaac has been eating these products for over 18 months now and it is only in the past few months that these warnings on the packaging have appeared. When I checked with the manufacturor they insist that it is "highly unlikely that these products are in anyway contaminated with dairy products" but they are including the warnings just in case of the remote possibilty of cross contamination. Isaac does not appear to have any adverse reaction so as you say baddad- if it aint broke dont fix it!

( I have to say though, the ENER-G is better. Glutano is like plastic bread we got from early learning centre)

lucy :oops:

Hi all -

Another 'new' product...

Dietary Specials "Multigrain" loaf (Sainsbury's Tesco's AND on SCRIP!! [Yippeee!!!]

Was a bit nervous around this as, although my trained eye could not SEE any mention of dairy/derivatives, it doesn't actually SAY dairy free...

Anyway, gave it a cautious 'trial' and Ben loves it - say's it's the best GF bread he's had to date. I tried a slice and would agree with him 100%. No side effects for Ben, so I Emailed DS today, and they have told me there is no milk/milk derivatives in it, but they don't claim that on the packaging 'cos they don't actually market it as DF and therefore don't 'test' it as such... They are, in fact, in the process of re-branding all their products and will only be marking wheat/gf free across the whole range on the new packaging, though recipes for stuff previously marked DF will not be changing... Personally, I think they'd gain more than they lost by testing and marking more precisely, but, hey, ho, that's their look out!

Good news is their e-mail confirms my observations that Ben can eat it without any reaction, and, with it on scrip, I can put the breadmaker away for a while...

BD :D

"Pikelets (thin crumpets!)

Scotch pancakes

Pitta bread"

That sounds great - I've been waiting for GF pitta breads for ages! Will have to trundle down to Tesco again soon :)

It's such a shame as I am a vegetarian so almost all meat replacement stuff that's halfway edible, including Quorn (which is a mycoprotein) has wheat extracts in it :(

Shopping today at Tesco's and found they've just got stocks of their own "FreeFrom" brand Easter eggs in.

Allergen info states:

FREEFROM - NUTS, WHEAT, GLUTEN, DAIRY, EGG.

CONTAINS - SOYA, SULPHITES.

Description is : HOLLOW, PLAIN CHOCOLATE EGG WITH A BAG OF VANILLA FLAVOUR MALLOWS.

The packaging isn't 'Kiddy' orientated, but Ben won't mind :D

For anyone whos kids don't like plain chocolate, Tesco's and Sainsbury's both now do faux Milk chocolate BARS, but I've not seen any 'eggs' to date.

If Soya/Sulphites a problem, Give Animal Aids head office in Tonbrdge a ring. They stock VEGAN (for anyone who was puzzling the connection!) eggs, Fudge and Luxury Truffles. I've bought these in the past and Ben pronounced them delicious, but they are SERIOUSLY expensive!

Kinnerton used to do a plain Bart Simpson egg, but I haven't spotted it for a couple of years...

God! Who'd have thought a post on Easter Eggs could go on for so long?! Sorry!

L&P

BD :D