cmuir

MY BABY STARTS SCHOOL ON WEDNESDAY AND I'M IN BITS

Hi Caroline,

Why don't you write another letter (you are wonderful at writing) saying you are aware that the staff have concerns and so does the headmistress but stratergies need to be put in place straight away. The only way your child will be included into main stream school is if the staff understand your childs behaviours and the reasons why. Then they can plan ahead and hopefully your child will be able to manage in mainstream school. Hence, it is essential for the headmistress to arrange training for her staff in ASD as soon as possible. Also send a letter to the school governors.

How much support will your child have in the classroom?

A child can only be provided with the right type of support if staff understand why the child is behaving in a certain manor. It will also help the staff to address there worries and concerns.

Jen

Hi Jen

The staff were made aware exactly what to expect months and months ago. Thankfully, the Teachers (2 because they work job-share) and the learning assistant have just started a course just now. Hopefully that will help a great deal. Robert has a full-time learning assistant who has an autisic son, so I'm sure she'll know what to look out for and know some management strategies. I've written letters like the one you're suggesting to the school already. Strange this is, I had done my homework in that I'd heard great reports about this school in terms of how they are with autistic/SEN kids. However, the headteacher is new and just started last week ? on Robert's first day. I think it's a safe bet she wasn't bargaining on what I had to say to her, so hopefully she'll think very carefully before opening her mouth again.

thanks.

Caroline.

Things are starting to look up.

Robert was a little star today. He helped the teacher make cakes! Knew there had to be food involved. I'm so proud of him. Have to say, I'm genuinely not interested in scoring brownie points with the HT. Just want Robert to be happy (which he seems to be) and settle in well. Just hope that the teachers get to see past the bad behaviour and see the lovely, witty, charming and clever Robert.

C.

Things are starting to look up.

Robert was a little star today. He helped the teacher make cakes! Knew there had to be food involved. I'm so proud of him. Have to say, I'm genuinely not interested in scoring brownie points with the HT. Just want Robert to be happy (which he seems to be) and settle in well. Just hope that the teachers get to see past the bad behaviour and see the lovely, witty, charming and clever Robert.

C.

I could swear ( but I won't) I put a reply(long one as usual!) here yesterday as I distinctly remeber asking for a cake :lol: I musta forgot to send it :oops:

Anyway much briefer version sums it up

Way to go Robert :thumbs:

ps honest can I have a cake it's me b'day today and I'm feelin old :devil:

glad to hear things are looking up and he's happier with school:)

Lorraine

Great news Caroline.I am so pleased things are more settled.Congratulate yourself and have a breather.I really hope this is the start of a long term trend in Robert enjoying school. :D:D I am sure the HT will remember his first day at school for many years.Karen

Hi

My boy's a star! He came out of school wearing 3 stickers for being a good boy and sitting nicely at circle time and story time. I'm so proud. In his diary it's noted that he is starting to respond to rules. Now that's progress. He just needs a bit of time.

Another bonus is that I bumped into a mum whom I've known for years. She was very interested in hearing about my experience of the headteacher. This mum fosters disabled children and has fought many battles over the years. She's told me to contact her anytime I need her help. An added bonus is that she sits on the school board ? headteacher had better watch out!!!

Caroline.

Great news today :dance::dance: .Me thinks the HT may be in a more interesting situation than she appreciates :D:D Whatever you do to reward yourself I think you must be due to do it this evening.Regards Karen

Glad to hear Robert is settling in and being happy. He deserves a chance to show his beautiful character.

Fantastic to know you have the support of someone sitting on the board that is interested in disability. Remember you are not only helping Robert but you are laying down the foundations stones for other child who have special needs.

Jen

Glad Robert is settling down and coming out of school happy :)

I was horrified to read about the HT's reaction after his first hour!

Just got a letter in this morning requesting the pleasure of my company at a Review Meeting on 14 Sept. Can't wait! Headteacher will be in attendance. I intend to be on my best behaviour and aim to let everyone see the HT's true colours.

Robert seems to be doing really well so far. Without being negative, that could change very quickly, but I'm so proud of him. He actually likes school and what better start could that be?

Caroline.