Sign in to follow this  
gladysmay

College Assessment?

Hello, my son who is 19 and has AS applied for college (IT) we had a bit of a dispute about the level but finally were offerred a level 2 as he had completed a level 1.

The College has referred him for an Assessment. I have provided the report from his diagnosis and he has also already done a literacy and numeracy test for the college around interview time.

This assessment does seem to be much more full, taking approx estimated two and a half hours. I am wondering if the tests they do will be 'suitable' taking into account AS. We have had some dreadful experiences in the past with Ed Psych at school etc just missing his AS altogether so that is why I am apprehensive. Obviously they do knwo he has AS but this stll does not seem to help with some educationalists.

Sorry to sound negative, I do hope it is a) necessary and B) of real use c) not a way to keep him out of college?

I would ask the SEN person at the college what the assessment involves. There is an assessment that is about what you need to help you manage the course (eg:a buddy, a laptop, a pda, photocopies of notes, etc).

Karen