Sign in to follow this  
bramblebrae

SENCO -do scotland have them??

title kinda says it all....I've wondered for quite along time really about SENCO's I've only ever heard of them on the www here mainly :) . My sons school is fairly large but obviusly in scotland and I've never heard mention of a SENCO is there a scottish equivalent in any schools here? My sons deputy head of infants has always handled meetings with me and the writing of his IEP. Today we got a newsletter saying they had changed the deputies jobs and now the infant deputy we've dealt with for past 3 yrs will be the senior deputy and the 'new' senior deputy,started one month before end of last term, will take the juniors. No one has told me diddly squat. Earlier in the week I queried why after only 2 days of school did my son have a different teacher to find out that his main class teacher has to do something for 2 days a week so another teacher will fill in for 2 days -mmh job share maybe, I wondered, seemed an odd way to describe the situation though - I wasn't happy but thought I'd leave it til his review meeting to complain over the fact his class is the one being mucked about yet again. Today in same newsletter discovered his new teacher is a probationary teacher and that is why she has the 2 days off a week. I just wish they would be more forthcoming with their information I asked before the end of term about his teacher for this year and they said she was new but they didn't say 'new,new' IFYSWIM! I'm gonna think good thoughts and try hard to imagine that nowadays they get alot of information regarding SEN including the spectrum on their teacher training courses so it's actually a bonus that she has no experience though I'm sure she has lots of knowledge. :wacko:

OMG side winding tangents I've gone off on one again :whistle: again!

sorry folks

take care

Lorraine

Hiya Lorraine

Logan has just started nursery but SENCO is something I'd never heard of till I came on here either. There definitely has been no mention of it at nursery - we just do his IEP with the head of the developmental nursery so I'm assuming they dont exist in Scotland. I'm not sure what we would have that would replace them - our educational psychologist was the one that determined Logan should go to developmental nursery and will evaluate his needs further on so not sure if she would be equivalent or not?

Lynne x

Lorraine,

Sorry I'm out of touch with the Scottish system. I did update NAS information on SEN procedure

this morning and added this. Education legislation: a guide to resources (Scotland) You might find the information there.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=690

Nellie xx

thanks guys, think I'll be gone awhile reading the above, there is a load of information and furthur links leading on from there- great link

thanks again

Lorraine

In Scotland the equivalent is the special educational needs adviser.

thanks

Do you know if every school should have one?

Bramblebrae, hi, great name.... reminds me of where my Mum used to take us walking when we were young!

No, i don't think we have senco here and i'm not sure about a special educational needs advisor either. I haven't encountered one, although Lewis was only ever in a mainstream nursery (for what felt like an eternity) and now he's in a language Unit. Maybe some schools do have the advisors maybe it's a funding thing (whats new??) Hope someone gives you some better advice tho, sorry :blink:

Bramblebrae, hi, great name.... reminds me of where my Mum used to take us walking when we were young!

No, i don't think we have senco here and i'm not sure about a special educational needs advisor either. I haven't encountered one, although Lewis was only ever in a mainstream nursery (for what felt like an eternity) and now he's in a language Unit. Maybe some schools do have the advisors maybe it's a funding thing (whats new??) Hope someone gives you some better advice tho, sorry :blink:

No probs Kirstie, it's good to find out what other people have experienced as I'm starting to think it's just something that's not regulated up here. I've decided to take the bull by the horns and ask my sons school specifically who is now in charge of co ordinating his additional support needs and that they inform me in advance of any changes in the future. I am presuming its the newly appointed infant DH as when I asked her about who was taking him for his reading, as he gets this separate from class cause he's so super at it(proud mum :)), she said she was in the middle of sorting out the extra staff times and she had his name on a list to allocate someone to him for reading. Not to happy there isn't someone already allocated though - they seem to be letting his reading drift which I wouldn't mind so much if they were concentrating on his writing which is behind but I don't think they've been doing that much to encourage either.

anyway I digress, again ;)

thanks to everyone for your information

take care

Lorraine