Sign in to follow this  
Anneuk

Not sure if this is an ASD

Can anyone offer any help?

My daughter soon to be 9yrs is giving me problems.

I did wonder if she has ASD, she walked on tip toes, she lacks spacial awareness but most of all she just doesn't seem to care!

The lack of caring is especially regarding personal hygiene.

She is a constant bed wetter once a twice a night, and admitted to me today that she often does it on purpose as she can't be bothered to use the loo ( her words) She constantly smells as she often wets herself in the day too, she doesn't clean her teeth unless I stand over her, and won't wash unless I make her.

I think she shows signs of being very disturbed and i am so ashamed of myself because I am at the point where a lot of times I don't actually like her.

As far as her walking on tip toes, she has been under the physios whosay she has very tight tendons in the ankles and also some tightness in her pelvis causing her to tip forward so she is in and out of plaster at present to help with stretching. The paed says she has some neurological 'briskness' in her lower reflexes but said that alone he didn't really know what this would be. She is now awaiting a brain scan to see if their is a problem their.

I was just wondering if any of these problems seem familiar to anyone.... I have quite a few probs at home just now and don't think I can cope much longer...... My AS daughter is doing OK at the moment but I know that once she is back in school, all hell will break loose again.....

Thanks again for all the support you guys give us.

Anne :crying:

The only thing I can suggest is that you write down everything concerning you and take her to the gps for a referral.

Whatever the outcome it's good you want to help her :).

it does seem like the personal hygiene could be an ASD thing although I also know a lot of NT adults who belong to the great unwashed, but with ASD the lack of social awareness means that they often dont give two hoots what others think about them so if personal hygiene doesnt bother them then see no reason to take care of it. I think this often only stops when it does become advantageous to them ie if they become bothered about someone elses opinion or in some cases if it means getting a job etc

I dont know if this is the case with your daughter but if it is can you think of someone whos opinion she does care about, could be a friend or a teacher and point out that they wont like it if she starts to smell.

unfortunatly parents are often the ones whos opinion doesnt matter at all because they feel secure with us no matter what they do, so in a strange way its actually a compliment

The only thing I can suggest is that you write down everything concerning you and take her to the gps for a referral.

Whatever the outcome it's good you want to help her :).

Thanks Bullet, Yes I will do this.. it's just so scary.... when I was trying to get help for my 12 yr old AS It took about 8 yrs to be taken seriously..... I just am not sure I feel strong enough to do battle again.

Summertime,

I have tried this, My mum, her granma who she loves very much sat her down and had a long chat but it has made no difference..... It's almsot like she lives in abubble and although she does get upset, this is almost fake too as she cries in an OTT hysteria before carrying on as she was before, like turning off a tap!

Anne

Edited by Anneuk

does seem like she doesnt really care what others think, have you tried a social story, explaining why we need to be clean etc, maybe mention the fact that she could get quite sore if she doesnt stay dry and that not cleaning her teeth could mean she looses them etc. if she can see a reason for doing it that will help her then maybe she'll have more of an insentive

my nephew wouldnt clean his teeth unless his mum stood over him, then he had to have 4 fillings, really scared him and now he never forgets

it was a harsh lesson though and obviously not one Id recommend

totally agree with gp referal though

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I think that you have to await the brain scan. They must be taking something seriously as they don't arrange for brain scans for no reason. I would ceratinly sit on them until you get a date. There has to be a reason for this and it may be something that she can not help. On the other hand it may be something that she can be helped with. I battled for ten years to find out what the problem was mith my middle son so I can understand your fears but hopefully the brain scan is them opening the door for you this time.

Don't feel guilty about your feelings I think we have all been there many times I know I have. You have a lot on your plate and you are only human.

Oracle

I think as parents its common to feel how you are at the moment, I try to remember that I'll always love my kids whatever but sometimes I dont like their behaviour, but sometimes its hard to destinguish between the two