Sign in to follow this  
brooke

new research

I gave them to adam and ther was no change wishfull thinking i think but others may see a chang its good for them enyway

Hi

Has anyone seen this yet? What do you think. I dont suppose it can do any harm in trying them.

http://lifestyle.aol.co.uk/study-hints-at-...904140409990003

hope the link works

The good thing about this study is that the yoghurt drinks are readily available,won't do any harm,don't taste horrid and don't cost a fortune-so are easier to tyy than some things. :D:D Karen

Yet more 'bad science' - even the researcher had to admit his research failed.

The point of a placebo trial to compare real as opposed to perceived results - which this experiment failed to achieve - and they still have the cheek to claim a 'hint' of a treatment. What arrogance - do the research properly and then let us know about the results! BTW - my son likes these drinks, and they might have reduced his windiness, but they had no impact on behaviour.

We are trying the Probiotics on ds (4) at the moment, so far he seems to be able to concentrate more easily and his behaviour has improved a little bit. We are opening the capsules and sneaking them into yoghurt which he loves so he doesn't know he is getting anything iyswim. He normally suffers badly with upset tummies and this seems to be improving as well.

Jane x

Edited by JaneS

i get c the ones with omega 3 as well, they seem to calm him down and help him to concentrate a bit.

it's not a vast difference but i can notice it, but that's probably cos i know him so well IYSWIM.

Edited by kinky j

It's worse than bad science I'm afraid: if the parents who withdraw their children knew they were in the placebo group, then it wasn't a placebo. A parent knowing that their child is getting a treatment which may work or merely a placebo WILL modify their own behaviour accordingly and it's largely how Autistic children are responded to that will affect their outcome always. Any percieved improvement could have been caused by the parents knowledge about the study and how they behaved according to it.

I disagree strongly that there is no harm from things like this. Studies looking at treatments for Autism always begin with false premises(Autism as a pathology with someday possible and desirable solution) and continue to support misinformation about Autism itself. When the studies fail, they are then used bizzarrely to support more popular but equally bogus treatments.

This seems to be based on the assumption that ALL children with ASDs will have bowel disorders, which is obviously not the case. I'd imagine that taking a probiotic would benefit those children with ASD who do have a bowel disorder but then that's working on a particular symptom rather than the condition as a whole.

Karen

x

Like any parent clutching at straws, I will give it a go. He likes that kind of thing anyway.

So far Epsom Salts, Eye Q and Omega 3 Sups ... might as well.

I didn't notice Asa's concentration levels improve with Eye Q - but I did notice it decline when we took him off them!!!! Needless to say, he's now back on 2 a day.

Stephanie that's actually another reason why simply trying stuff for the sake of trying can be harmful: you didn't notice any improvement as he went on but did notice deterioration as he came off. Whatever the heckery Eye Q is there is every chance he simply got used to it's effects even though they didn't benefit him and now he's used to it, it's harder for him to do without it.

I've noticed the same in ABA; parents that use it MUST continually use it forever and never ending to keep the percieved improvements they want.

My son drinks a lot of probiotics because he loves them and he's always constipated. I haven't noticed any improvement in his constipation or his ASD.

He looks a lot like the boy in the picture :wub:

My son has been drinking probiotic yoghurts for about two or three years, so I was interested to see the story about this "research".

Whilst the yoghurt drinks have made absolutely no difference to his autism (and I wouldn't have expected or thought they might - in fact he started drinking them because his Dad does and he likes the taste), they have made a considerable difference to his bowel problems, for the better.