Sign in to follow this  
baddad

A cautionary tale

Quite! :unsure:

I'll just go and pour me wine down the sink then.... after I've finished this glass :lol:

Very good 'pome' though, was he a presbetarian??? Think I'll go and look for a catholic version :P

Quite! :unsure:

Very good 'pome' though, was he a presbetarian??? Think I'll go and look for a catholic version :P

Och aye the noo... there's no one can touch McGonagle...

Well, not in the UK anyway...

There's an American Poet called Julia Moore who could give him a run for his money , though...

I quote from Stephen Pile's "The Book Of Heroic Failures"...

Her verse is mainly concerned with violent death - the great fire of Chicago and the yellow fever epidemic proved natural subjects for her pen... even if you started out reasonably healthy in one of Julia's poems, the chances are that after a few stanzas you would be at the bottom of a river or struck by lightning. A critic of the day said she was 'worse than a gatling gun' and in one slim volume counted 21 dead and nine wounded.

I'll do a search and see if i can find you something...

meanwhile, here's another of my favourites from the Great McG...

The whale

Enjoy......

L&P

BD :D>:D<<'>

:lol::lol:

He wasn't among the poetic greats I studied at university - can't imagine why they left him out - what an oversight. :huh:

K x

Interesting but a little OTT methinks

I'm certain I know of some religions/countries where the "demon drink" is not allowed and yet they still treat their women like s**t don't they.

Having said that I have seen the results of drunken rages on other people (when I worked for St John's Ambulance) and they were not a pretty sight

Something to think about........but I'm now back on the drink after a period of teetotalness (brought on by certain meds) and it's lovely. :D

:blink: .................................

now onto another great lyricist??..............John Cooper Clarke...........I could recite a few of his odes when I was very drunk and in my teens :o .............a particular favoutite was ****.............began with T ended in T and rhymed with bat..............had a few one liner-ish put downs in it

"like a sucked and spat out smartie your no use to anyone"............was a fave of mine :lol: .He can be a bit hard core so if you google him apologises now if your offended. >:D<<'>

:blink: .................................

now onto another great lyricist??..............John Cooper Clarke...........I could recite a few of his odes when I was very drunk and in my teens :o .............a particular favoutite was ****.............began with T ended in T and rhymed with bat..............had a few one liner-ish put downs in it

"like a sucked and spat out smartie your no use to anyone"............was a fave of mine :lol: .He can be a bit hard core so if you google him apologises now if your offended. >:D<<'>

Ohh Suze,

How naive can I be?? couldnt understand how 'tat' could be offensive :rolleyes: then I googled JKC and found the title of the poem you were refering to :o

Was he a kind of pop poet and did he ever go on Saturday Night Live and do a poem about hanging which had me rolling on the floor.........I know its not a funny subject but he mad it so .

If it wasnt him does anyone know who I'm talking about?

SV

Mr, Cooper Clarke is a tall skinny chap with wild fuzzy black hair.He has a very very very strong mancunian/salford accent.Bit like an old Russell Brand :lol: .If you actually hear him recite his poems he lends a fantastic air to them.........lingering on words, taking longer pauses, and emphasising a double meaning.He,s very good :notworthy: .

Hi Suze,

I'm pretty sure this is the guy I saw on telly in the late 70s. He performed the poem with a rhythm backing possible a drum machine. I know my brother was a fan of this guy so I'll ask him if it was John Cooper Clarke. He was very funny, a very black humour - just right for the punk era.

SV

Here's my favourite poem (only cos its easy to remember)

ODE TO MY GOLDFISH by Giles Brandreth

OH

Wet

Pet!