Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Autism'd out!

Hi all -

I know you can all identify with this, so feel comfortable in saying that at the moment I have completely had enough of all things ASD related...

Nothing specific; just the ongoing day to day stuff like constant nagging (to get ben moving), constant explaining (to him about why he should get moving and to everyone else to explain EVERYTHING) and constant round of discussions with professionals/schools/parents who just can't seem to grasp the fundamental fact that the usual rules don't apply here!!.

Next week we're into half term, and ben has a communication group most afternoons, so - lucky me - I get to sit with all the other parents discussing (you've guessed it!) while he learns some useful lessons in social interaction. On Wednesday, we've got an appointment with the Paed.in the morning, who's then the guest speaker at the communication group in the afternoon... OH bliss!!

Now I'm sorry to whinge and whine, and I really REALLY DO know how lucky I am, both from the POV of the support on offer and Ben's personal ability to access it, but right now I really do wish I could just switch it all off for a week or two...

Right, now having got that off my chest, how the divil are you all? Is it just me, or is it SADS/CHICKEN FLU/PCT (Pre Crimble Tension) going around... answers on a postcard please... ;)

L&P

BD :D

Know what you mean , had a cr*p few weeks so I,m quite looking forward to half term. Why don,t we all get together and have an interactive night out , have a few drinks and discuss anything and everything that is,nt ASD related, pretend were in a pub I,ll get the first round in, what ya havin Badders?

Since my sons diagnosis its been none stop here too, Autism'd out is exactly how I put it to someone >:D<<'> Definately know how you feel

Bird flu kind of scaring me now, all seemed a big fuss that wouldn't affect us but now its geting scary. Most people round here getting flu/colds/tummy bugs , not nice, kids dropping like flies at the school.

Edited by lil_me

Autismd out! What a succint way to put it. I'm totally fed up too. I'm off up north for a few days and the kids will spend the first 2 days with their dad. ~What am I going to do with those two days? Absolutely sweet **** all!! I'm staying at a friends who will be on holiday... so for the first time in about 13 years I'll be completely and utterly alone. I'm going to read books; have long hot bubble baths; drink wine and not worry about the hangover; watch rubish on telly; eat popcorn and stuff; not go anywhere near a computer; and sleep!

Lovely word that... autismd out B)

Lauren

B) ...............anyone else, grab that table over there and sit on badads knee , he needs cheering up. I,ll put some tunes on the old juke box any requests?

Badders,

Whatever it is, I've got it too :wacko: .

I had a blubber this morning to hubby. I seem to spend my whole life trying to make sure everybody elses life goes smoothly, while I end up getting moaned at all the time.

I haven't got anymore fighting schools/LEAs to do now, but I still feel drained. I feel that I could quite happily fly off to some desert island somewhere for a couple of months.

So much for the desert island...........Batcave here I come.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Yep, I'm with you there. At times I'm fascinated by it all and feel full of energy to meet all the challenges but it gets to me too every once in a while and I just have to think about something else. :wacko: We've now got quite a library of ASD books and sometimes I'm eager to read all I can about it - other times I want to switch off and read Harry Potter instead.

A virtual night out sounds like a great idea but Baddad if you mention Christmas again I'll have to shoot you with one of my remaining arrows :devil: . I'm not intending to give it a thought till November 30th.

It's funny, like other there are some days when I feel strong enough to handle whatever gets thrown at me, and times when I just want it all to go away.

I think most of us have wished at one point or another that we could hit the off switch for a couple of days and come back refreshed. I'm madly jealous of Lauren's 2 days of doing nothing, it sounds like heaven!

Time for a big bubbly bath and maybe a glass of wine...

:wine::wine:

I'm just struggling my way through til Monday when my little lot go back to school (they've been off for two weeks for half term). I know exactly what you mean by Autismd out, I'm suffering from the related condition of form overload I think. DLA renewal forms, complaints about psychatrists, family fund requests and the ever popular IEP and annual reviews. Just for once it would be nice to have a form that ask "What is your child good at? How do they brighten your day? "

And to top it all off with a bow my hubbys ex has rung to say shes not sure if she should keep custody of their 6 year old son and could I keep him for the time being while she discusses it with her girlfriend. I'd sign on the dotted line in a second if I thought she was serious but I know from experience that her girlfriend has thrown a strop because she wants something and it'll all be forgotten by Sunday. :wallbash:

If we have a party then I bagzie doing the cheese and pineapple hedgehogs.

I do know what you mean Baddad - it is a constant eat, sleep, breathe ASD's.

I love winter - I don't do sweating buckets -and I usually get my energy levels topped up with a bit of cold and damp, but this year, I feel like a very damp squib.

I don't think I have come to terms with the Tribunal decision even though I now am very aware of why! My boy is so happy and settled and full of fun - so I have a lot to be grateful for - but maybe there is a a bit of an Autismed out epidemic going on!

Love

Helen

I love the phrase Autism'd out, it sums it up. I think Jadensmum posted about being autismed out a while back. Lots of hugs to all those people suffering in this 'Autismed out epidemic'!

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

B) ...............anyone else, grab that table over there and sit on badads knee , he needs cheering up. I,ll put some tunes on the old juke box any requests?

I'd take up the offer of baddad's knee, but being AS, I'd probably just make him worse (as well as breaking both his legs and blocking his access to his pint o' pinot :wine: )

As for the music , anything as long as it's not from Bat out of Hell again! (and no-one is allowed to karaoke to Kate Bush or we'll all be suffering 'sensory issues' :hypno: )

But I'll join the Miserable Club. I was blaming feeling :crying: on SeasonalAffectiveDisorder and the coming of winter. I've just felt like curling up and hibernating for the next six months. The coincidental arrival of the first paid work in months and resultant working into the wee small hours doesn't seem to be helping much either.

Laughter is the best medicine - get out a funny video and escape for an hour or two at least - you can't have seen Carry On Cleo in at least a fortnight, and if you've never seen Harold and Maude - treat yourself ;)

Or maybe take a couple of days off like Lauren. How about going hang-gliding in Florida this weekend? :devil:sorry

Oh, and mine's a diet vodka wthout the coke. The wagon's getting a wheel fixed. :devil:

nemo

Can relate to this also baddad, can become quite draining :wacko: .

It always seems to be on my mind wherever I go, if I'm not reading books about it I'm on here reading about it, or trying to explain to others when out and about.

Can end up some days with a complete overload headache! :(

I sometimes have to step back and say to myself, 'hey, youre starting to drown in all this'.

It's good to try and focus on some other things sometimes, especially with our kids just to have some FUN. :)

As others have said, somedays you feel really able and raring to go, but other days it all feels very overwhelming.

Brook >:D<<'>

PS Mines the Vodka and coke, without the Vodka, sorry dont drink, god I feel boring :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Brook

Yep I will join this club. I am busy watching my once out going little lad turn into an ASD wreck. Just about everything on this planet is now a source of fear to him from Street Cleaning Machines to Food - yes FOOD don't know how I am going to work my way round this one. How do you cope with a child who no longer wants to look at food or speak about it because it makes him feel sick. Bang goes the healthy diet because at the moment he will only look at crisps and popcorn. Then of course there is bird flu do you know how many birds there are flying around our streets :unsure: Far too many for Matthews liking.

Not had this with Matthew before and I sort of hoped this part of ASD was going to pass him by :( Guess not - beam me up Scottie.

Carole

Count me in. My weary brain has reached saturation point and I can't take in any more.

Completely with you on 'chatting to parents'. You can certainly get too much of it. I took J to an autism trust's after school club for the first time a few weeks ago and - horror of horrors! - LEFT HIM BEHIND! You should have seen the looks of disgust on some of the mums' faces when I left my mobile number and went. 'And it was only his first visit, bless him!'. Well, he was all for doing it alone (now that he's staying at karate without me and enjoying it - big boy now and all that) so who am I to argue? Why mollycoddle if it isn't necessary? And anyway, most of the people I met have no interest in reciprocal conversation and you end up listening to monologues about their own kids. Well, I get enough of bl**dy obsessive monologues at home thanks very much, I can do without it if I've got the chance of an hour talking to my husband who I never see these days...

This is why I like this board so much - you can dip in as and when it's convenient to yourself, join the conversations that interest you or are relevant to your own experience and leave the others if you want, then leave it for a few days if you're 'autismed out'. Real Life support groups have their place, particularly for finding out about local resources etc, but they can get too much.

As for other stuff, my ME is evil at the moment and I've just had a doozie of an argument with one of the teachers at J's school who said I couldn't come in to get a seat for J's Harvest Assembly. I was given the choice of queuing outside for an hour with the other parents (ha!) or coming in early to help the children get changed. Told her I wasn't up to either, could I please have a seat kept for me on the grounds that I'm a disabled parent? She shook her head at me and virtually called me a liar. I've spent the last few days drafting a letter to the board of govs and I'm steaming with rage. Very, very upsetting.

Karen

x

Nellie you have a great memory!!! B)

Autismed out is a great phrase and I think reflects how we all feel most of the time!!!

At one point a couple of months ago, everytime I went on the PC I looked up everything APART from Autism. My brain was well and truly saturated!!! :wacko:

There is a lot to be said for bubble baths and glasses of wine (but if it's just house wine at the bar I'll go for a vodka and coke! :wine::drunk::cheers:

I have to admit, that I thought about cancelling an appointment with the speech therapist this morning because I am sick to death of the constant stream of strangers and not- so -strangers coming into my house day after day!

(Common sense prevailed and I didn't - I just wanted a day off from forcing J to communicate with me!!)

Denisex

Thanks Baddad for putting into words how I am feeling at the moment - autism'd out is so right ...

A friend asked the other day what she could do to help :)

(I like friends like that!)

I said the problem is that it's just day to day life that's dragging me down and you can't really do much about that. I'm fed up of having to be on the ball and two steps ahead all the time but I'm even more worried about what might happen if I'm not ... :(

So Autismed Out I can't even add anything :(

Bid :tearful:

To be accurate, the Autism is fine, it's the other stuff...funding, assessments, etc...

I'll join the club too, anyone think it could be to do with sudden upsurge in AS related stuff in the media recently? Granted all this publicity is a good thing IMO but on the other hand I've felt obliged to watch every program thats been on.....

Mind its half term here next week & thats always a relief in this house, M is actually remarkably good then.... any longer than 2 weeks & we have issues :lol: but he really appreciates the 1 week break. That could be because it usually turns into a full week of 'jammy days' when I only see him when he's hungry or wants hugs :wub:

Oh & while you're at the bar, I'll have an orange juice..... though I'll be secretly imagining that its a large glass of chardonnay :wine: .... can't wait for this baby to be born just so I can have the large drink I've been desperately needing since M got his dx :lol:

Guest flutter

well i had a bad "autistic day" with dd yesterday

then something wend down at work

so i hit the voddy , just a wee one

she has just foned to hear my voice :(

I want in the miserable club

but

sending

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

for you all

C xxx

anything as long as it's not from Bat out of Hell

And whats wrong with Bat out of hell??? its one of the few albums i know all the words to..i could do a bit of Queen, or Zappa but thats about it really!

anyway, may i join the club too...had a lousy day. could drink a pint of anything just about now (as long as it contains alcohol)

>:D<<'> for badders.

I can identify with the autismed out amongst you.

Ive had it for almost 17 years (can you hear the violins?) I almost look back with fondness for the days when autism was relatively unknown. Now everyone is an expert and I get sick of so called professionals who have been on a two day course and are still about as helpful as a chocolate teapot.

I plan to watch a really trashy film this evening (Team America, I expect Baddad will have heard of it) and eat choccie and drink wine.

Cheers!

Love Lorainexxx

Can i play?? Pleeeaaassseee :pray:

Fabulous day today - not....

My little man has had....the last day for classroom LSA :tearful: .......school disco :dance: .........and last day for me for childminding, therefore, last day with 2 little extras in the house..............(although as far as he's concerned about the last one... B) )...........PLUS in the schools infinate wisdom :blink: lots of chocolate and blackcurrant juice.......... Total meltdown central here 'bout an hour ago..........

Make mine a booooomin' big glass (make that bucket...) of Baileys........ :wacko:

Lets get trashed and put on some Abba............ :D