Sign in to follow this  
phasmid

P scales/ P levels

These have taken me an age to track down! This link will take you to the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority web page where there are full descriptors for the levels each point on the scale equates too. Hope these are useful.

Thanks for this. I think this all really new at school and its the support assistant who has been working it ourt and not the teacher. Do you think I could ask about what progress my child has made over the last few years?

You should be informed as a matter of course! They should have no reason not to tell you your child's attainment levels. If you are forced to ask for them we 'can' make them hand this over...ask H H LKS!

Edited by phasmid

I usually take the childs p-scale assessment with me to the annual reviews so that the parents can be told if they want. I personally have no problem at all with the parents taking them home with them and having a good read and editing anything they find on them in pencil.

Mayor Quimby please come and work in my school :) I also thought that these P levels would be discussed at the annual review but when I mentioned it I was told by everyone that my daughter was working at year 1 level. When I received my copy of the report of the annual review I was surprised that in the section that mentioned attainment levels nothing was filled in. When I queried this with my SNO she confirmed that they had received no information. This just reinforces my belief that the LEA are not particularly interested in the progress our children make and leave far too much up to the school. Even the EP seemed to think that I should be very greatful to all concerned with my daughter's education and the supreme effort everyone was making to include her (I am)but she also failed to understand what use it would be to me to know what level my daughter is working at :huh:

I wish you would come to our school too. I have had similar school problems to LKS and was told recently when I asked what p level my child was at in numeracy to look it up myself! That was by the headteacher.

Tell your children's teacher that other teachers do give them to the parents. IMHO it's good practise and it makes you accountable for the child's education.

The milestones that they reach should also be dated. So if your child has a long period with no dated improvements then something is going awry.

I try to review my p-scales every term and I use the descriptors on it to feed into the IEP. I also use the Birmingham Profile too and the descriptors on that feed into the IEP which is reviewed every term and sometimes sooner depending if they've reached that target.

I have no qualms about parents seeing these.

Parents should also have a copy of the IEP targets. I find it helpful to be honest as many of my parents use the IEP's to reinforce what they're doing at home. I have found it particularly helpful when they are using PECS.